Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Gift for Deploying Soldier

1. Senior Member

Gift for Deploying Soldier

Advertisements
    Hello everyone!

I'm one of those people who loves to shop and get it all done early - but I'm having some trouble deciding what to get DB. He's deploying in late January and I don't want to get him something that he won't be able to use until he comes home. With that in mind - I'm having a REALLY hard time even thinking about what he can take with him and use overseas.

Maybe a PSP? Because he can play games, watch movies AND listen to music? Then I could send him memory cards with games and movies and whatnot in the care packages. Will he be allowed to take this with him?? (This is my first deployment and I'm just not sure about much!) Has anyone used a Nintendo DSi AND a PSP and which would you want?

If anyone has any other ideas let me know!! He's really into football, Harley Davidsons and electronics.... Thanks!!!

2. Am
    We didn't do presents. Although, he did ask me to print a bunch of pictures for him and I got him a nice pillow and sheets. Definitely something to send with if it's something he wants. They were such a pain to ship.
  3. Senior Member
    DB bought a playstation 3 as soon as he got to Iraq. He left his x-box here and said that he would rather have that there. He should be able to take it in his bag. Or a new digital camera, new laptop with a built in webcam so you two can use skype. new video camera. Pretty much anything electronic is a safe bet

4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chrissyh33 View Post
    DB bought a playstation 3 as soon as he got to Iraq. He left his x-box here and said that he would rather have that there. He should be able to take it in his bag. Or a new digital camera, new laptop with a built in webcam so you two can use skype. new video camera. Pretty much anything electronic is a safe bet
    good ideas! I'll have to start saving! I'll definitely have to get a webcam so we can use skype! Are mac's compatible with the military systems over there?

From what I understand you can plug a PSP into a tv and play it that way, which is cool too!

The pillow and sheet idea is FANTASTIC too! I don't want to have to try and pack those and ship them right after he gets there! And he definitely needs new pillows (his are all lumpy - ew lol). Are the beds over there just standard twin size or are they the long twin beds??

5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KittyCatie View Post
    good ideas! I'll have to start saving! I'll definitely have to get a webcam so we can use skype! Are mac's compatible with the military systems over there?

From what I understand you can plug a PSP into a tv and play it that way, which is cool too!

The pillow and sheet idea is FANTASTIC too! I don't want to have to try and pack those and ship them right after he gets there! And he definitely needs new pillows (his are all lumpy - ew lol). Are the beds over there just standard twin size or are they the long twin beds??
    Make sure that he sets up a skype account before he leaves the states. DB said that the guys that didn't had a harder time with it once they got there.

And I don't know if Mac's are compatable. Part of me says no cuz DB had a nice Mac and bought a new laptop before he left.

6. Am
    Quote Originally Posted by KittyCatie View Post

DF had a twin there.

Quote Originally Posted by chrissyh33 View Post
    Make sure that he sets up a skype account before he leaves the states. DB said that the guys that didn't had a harder time with it once they got there.

And I don't know if Mac's are compatable. Part of me says no cuz DB had a nice Mac and bought a new laptop before he left.
    Mac's are compatible. That's what DF took. Make sure you get a warranty though. His hard drive crashed right after he got back. They said it was from all the sand. If you go with a laptop (or not), you might also look into a nice case for it. DF got a really nice one to keep his electronics in. It locks and is essentially indestructible. I can look for it online if you want.