Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Christmas cards!

1. Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Christmas cards!

Advertisements
    Do yousend out a christmas card and/or letter every year? I'm really excited that DH and I get to send out our first card and letter (in my family we always do both), an I wanted to do something cute and creative. I'll be about 16 weeks pregnant by then and I wanted a way to incorporate that into the picture if possible. Any suggestions? We're not really santa hat people so that's out of the question.

TIA ladies and gents!
    "whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same." -emily bronte
    fashion lust!
    http://www.iwouldtotallywearthat.blogspot.com
  2. Veteran; Veteran's Wife, Mom and Avon Lady!
    Veteran; Veteran's Wife, Mom and Avon Lady!
    Blog Entries

I only do letters for certain people, and then it's never the same letter. I don't like the Christmas letters as they seem very impersonal to me. Most of the ones I get just ramble on and on and seem like they were even written before events happened. When I do a letter I make sure to address the receiver by name and ask specific personal questions like "How was the trip to Disney over the summer" or "Did Dh ever get that car restored that he was working on".

I have this one friend who only sends a letter. In a card but no handwriting anywhere. It just seems like a computer sent it out and so impersonal. I am tempted to just throw it away when I get it this year.

If done right the letters can be great. I usually just send cards with a hand written note somewhere in the card, and if I have time, I will grap a piece of pretty paper and handwrite a letter.
  3. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by momrisner View Post
    I only do letters for certain people, and then it's never the same letter. I don't like the Christmas letters as they seem very impersonal to me. Most of the ones I get just ramble on and on and seem like they were even written before events happened. When I do a letter I make sure to address the receiver by name and ask specific personal questions like "How was the trip to Disney over the summer" or "Did Dh ever get that car restored that he was working on".

I have this one friend who only sends a letter. In a card but no handwriting anywhere. It just seems like a computer sent it out and so impersonal. I am tempted to just throw it away when I get it this year.

If done right the letters can be great. I usually just send cards with a hand written note somewhere in the card, and if I have time, I will grap a piece of pretty paper and handwrite a letter.
    Aww, I think that's a great idea, but unfortunately, that would take up WAY too much time. I'm close to all my relatives so I'd have to write an individual letter to all of them. And with DH's family, if I sent one personal letter to someone, I'd have to write one to everyone, since they all talk. That's awesome of you to do though! I think I'm going to write a letter about our move to Germany and our surprise pregnancy and throw in a picture.
    fashion lust!
  4. Veteran; Veteran's Wife, Mom and Avon Lady!
    Veteran; Veteran's Wife, Mom and Avon Lady!
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by candypants View Post
    Aww, I think that's a great idea, but unfortunately, that would take up WAY too much time. I'm close to all my relatives so I'd have to write an individual letter to all of them. And with DH's family, if I sent one personal letter to someone, I'd have to write one to everyone, since they all talk. That's awesome of you to do though! I think I'm going to write a letter about our move to Germany and our surprise pregnancy and throw in a picture.
    That sounds good.

After 23 years, the amount of people that I actually even have to send cards to has dwindled quite a bit

I think the key to a good letter is brevity. Two pages with a month by month synopsis of every thing you have done is a bit much.

I think you can still make it personal. Hand sign the letters. At the top of the letter, handwrite "Dear Aunt Maggie and Uncle Tom" or something.
    MJM
    i think that would be great! maybe you can find a card with 3 stockings and put your name, your husbands name, and then leave the third one blank and on the inside say something about how this time next year there will be a third name hanging on the mantle? i dunno.
  6. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by momrisner View Post
    That sounds good.

After 23 years, the amount of people that I actually even have to send cards to has dwindled quite a bit

I think the key to a good letter is brevity. Two pages with a month by month synopsis of every thing you have done is a bit much.

I think you can still make it personal. Hand sign the letters. At the top of the letter, handwrite "Dear Aunt Maggie and Uncle Tom" or something.
    Yeah, a month by month synopsis IS a bit much! I like to make them short and sweet, touch on important events, and that's it. I always hand sign them.

Quote Originally Posted by xkrazybaby67x View Post
    i think that would be great! maybe you can find a card with 3 stockings and put your name, your husbands name, and then leave the third one blank and on the inside say something about how this time next year there will be a third name hanging on the mantle? i dunno.
    That's a cute idea! I tried to get DH in a Packers jersey and me in a Vikings one since we're huge football rivals, but he put the kabosh on that. I thought it was a cute idea.

Not sure how we'd incorporate the bebe, but I guess the bump could speak for itself.
    fashion lust!
    MJM
    maybe just a pic of the 2 of you in your jerseys and on the inside, "wonder what team our baby will root for? guess we'll find out soon!"

okay i'm way lame.
  8. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    maybe just a pic of the 2 of you in your jerseys and on the inside, "wonder what team our baby will root for? guess we'll find out soon!"

okay i'm way lame.
    No, I like that idea! That's kinda what I was thinking. We've decided that whomever has the best season wins, Vikes are 4-0 and the Pack are 2-2, so looks like I'm winning and our bebe will rock the purple and gold!
    fashion lust!
    MJM
    i'll just send you a baby broncos jersey so he can root for the real best team
  10. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    i'll just send you a baby broncos jersey so he can root for the real best team
    It will be burned.
    fashion lust!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast