Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Christmas day food

1. Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Christmas day food

Advertisements
    What do you guys do for Christmas day? I am hosting christmas this year (and am nervous as HELL!!!!) and I need ideas. We don't have a traditional dinner every year so I can do whatever I want (honestly, they wouldn't even care if I ordered pizza ) but I want to do something memorable and delicious and wonderful.

I want to hear about dinner AND breakfast/lunch/snacks/treats. Everyone is coming from Wisconsin so I have more than just dinner to plan.
  2. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    Normally, not really anything special. Maybe sausage balls, a breakfast casserole or something like that.

Ask Eb though, I'm making her cook for me this year.
  3. lord help us all!
    lord help us all!
    we do turkey, stuffing, cauliflower with cheese sauce, green bean casserole, mashed potatoes and gravy, corn, cranberry sauce, pumpkin pie, cherry pie, apple pie

same as thanksgiving
  4. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    My entire family including relatives get together. Usually it's turkey, ham, green bean casserole, bread rolls, mashed potatoes, and so much more I can't remember.

Appetizers are usually spinach dip & crackers, deveiled eggs, potato salad, and more.

To drink, the biggest hit is Sprite soda in a big punch bowl with big scoops of rainbow sherbert ice cream in it! It's so good, it gets frothy once it starts getting melty. I want some now.
  5. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    mmmmm

I'm not a huge fan of turkey or ham so I don't think I'll cook either. I'm thinking of doing roasted pork tenderloin... but the price is so high!

I don't know what to do with it though if I DO do it.. other than mashed potatoes and rolls or biscuits. Homemade mac n cheese maybe... I don't like green bean casserole but I need a veggie too I am horrible at meal planning!

Breakfast... Maybe I'll just be cheap and do scrambled eggs and bacon... or make everyone do their own food and just provide plenty of options...
  6. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    Breakfast: French toast casserole or stuffed french toast, sausage and ham, hasbrowns, eggs or omlets.

Lunch: Usually something light like grilled chicken breast sandwhichs with provolone and red bell peppers w/mixed baby greens on some crunchy bread (sooooo good!)

Snacks: Always have fresh fruit and nuts out as well as a vege & dip platter, an olive assortment with fresh mozzarella, and a meat cheese and cracker platter, spinach dip with french bread, clam dip with potato chips (clam dip is my favorite lol)

Dinner: Rib Eye Roast with a red wine shallot sauce and either ham or turkey (it varies from year to year), homemade cranberry sauce, bread stuffing (usually an oyster stuffing) and cornbread stuffing (we like the taste of both so we always make both lol), yams with marshmallows, potato salad, collard/mustard greens with smoked hamhocks or smoked turkey wings, deviled eggs, homemade macaroni and cheese and some sort of green salad.

Dessert: We have pumpkin and chocolate cream pies, peach cobbler, ambrosia (we just started adding this one..so good), cheesecake, ice-cream and this year I am adding Baklava cuz well..I love it.

We always have so much food...especially since our menu is more suited for a large family gathering instead of just the 5 of us...but we love it so much that we still make a huge meal with the variety.

ETA: I forgot about the mashed potato and gravy!! For drinks its egg nog (spiked of course), 7&7, Beer, Sodas, Champagne (I love champagne)
    Last edited by dollface; 09-29-2009 at 12:56 PM.
  7. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    For breakfast, you could buy the flaky croissants from Costco. Then make some sausage/bacon, scrammbled eggs, and let everyone make their own little breakfast sandwiches. It will be easy for you, and they can choose what they want on it like cheese.
    Banned
    Breakfast is ALWAYS vinha d'alhos (ours is different than this but...http://www.hawaii.edu/recipes/pork/vinha.html), linguica, and rolls.

Lunch is usually just snack foods.

And dinner is... Actually I have no idea. I'm always too worried about breakfast. I think we have ham. Sometimes. Yeah I don't know.
  9. Finally Together Again!
    Finally Together Again!
    We do:
    Turkey, Ham, Potato salad, Macaroni salad, Fruit salad, Mashed potatoes, Stuffing, Sweet potatoes, Home made bread, All sorts of pies, Cranberry sauce, Garden salad, cheesy potatoes.

There is much more, but I cannot remember at this point. lol
  10. Finally Together Again!
    Finally Together Again!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBryTree View Post
    mmmmm

I'm not a huge fan of turkey or ham so I don't think I'll cook either. I'm thinking of doing roasted pork tenderloin... but the price is so high!

I don't know what to do with it though if I DO do it.. other than mashed potatoes and rolls or biscuits. Homemade mac n cheese maybe... I don't like green bean casserole but I need a veggie too I am horrible at meal planning!

Breakfast... Maybe I'll just be cheap and do scrambled eggs and bacon... or make everyone do their own food and just provide plenty of options...
    What about a pot roast? Yum!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast