Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crochet??!!

1. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    95.56%

Crochet??!!

Advertisements
    So I am trying to build my etsy site up a little more than just frames, so I decided to take up crocheting with the intention of making blankets.
    HOW MUCH YARN DOES THIS TAKE?!?!?!

I used a whole spool thing and I'm not even 1/8 If the way done.
    Is there a secret?
    “There is a time in every man's education when he arrives at the conviction that envy is ignorance; that imitation is suicide”

― Ralph Waldo Emerson, Self Reliance
  2. Proud mother of a baby boy...and wife of a soldier
    Proud mother of a baby boy...and wife of a soldier
    Blog Entries
    Lv. Percent
    39.71%
    I love to crochet, but it can take a LOT of yarn depending on the yarn and the pattern.

Im so in love with you hunny. I know I have never felt this powerful of a love before, I have only thought it was possible for those rare lucky few. And now I think we have it. Or are we just now part of the lucky rare few? XOXO Love you hun. -DH 9/8/11
  3. Regular Member
    Lv. Percent
    80.19%
    It can take 15oz for a small baby blanket so a true sized blanket will take quite a bit more. You could go for a lap quilt or baby quilt instead.
  4. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    95.56%
    Yea.... this king sized blanket is quickly becoming a scarf.... in May
  5. Regular Member
    Lv. Percent
    80.19%
    Quote Originally Posted by Medic2Doula View Post
    Yea.... this king sized blanket is quickly becoming a scarf.... in May
    LMAO!!!!
    My mother makes quilts and she said the public doesn't realize how much time and how much resources it takes to make quilts and blankets. They don't want to pay what it is truly worth.
  6. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    95.56%
    Quote Originally Posted by ThumperJane View Post
    LMAO!!!!
    My mother makes quilts and she said the public doesn't realize how much time and how much resources it takes to make quilts and blankets. They don't want to pay what it is truly worth.
    No joke! I considered selling them, but I don't think I could make back the cost of yarn. Maybe if I could sell a baby blanket for 20 bucks. Geesh.

Also, I thought my one year old could be trusted with the yarn bundle as I worked, BUT mistake!!! Spent the better part of an hour untangling it from the kitchen table and island and working it back into a ball.
    Also, she dunked it in the dog water bowl.
  7. Regular Member
    Lv. Percent
    80.19%
    Quote Originally Posted by Medic2Doula View Post
    No joke! I considered selling them, but I don't think I could make back the cost of yarn. Maybe if I could sell a baby blanket for 20 bucks. Geesh.

Also, I thought my one year old could be trusted with the yarn bundle as I worked, BUT mistake!!! Spent the better part of an hour untangling it from the kitchen table and island and working it back into a ball.
    Also, she dunked it in the dog water bowl.
    That sounds fun - I bet the dog loved it lol!!!

What kills me is that we see crocheted baby blankets at the goodwill that have been donated. They are selling them for $5. Somebody probably spent $30 to make it and here it is - cheap. A little heartbreaking.
  8. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    Lv. Percent
    70.67%
    If you're using a pattern, it should specify the yardage that you'll need. Make sure you purchase enough yarn from the same dye lot to ensure you don't get any unwanted stripes or color variations in your work.

If you aren't using a pattern, or you're having trouble choosing one, keep in mind that smaller, more dense stitches like single crochet will consume more yarn than more open, lacy stitches. The more air space between stitches, the more bang for your buck, so to speak. Also, a piece made with chunkier yarn and a larger hook is going to work up faster than a piece with lower-weight yarn and a smaller hook.
  9. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    95.56%
    Quote Originally Posted by somebodypeople View Post
    If you're using a pattern, it should specify the yardage that you'll need. Make sure you purchase enough yarn from the same dye lot to ensure you don't get any unwanted stripes or color variations in your work.

If you aren't using a pattern, or you're having trouble choosing one, keep in mind that smaller, more dense stitches like single crochet will consume more yarn than more open, lacy stitches. The more air space between stitches, the more bang for your buck, so to speak. Also, a piece made with chunkier yarn and a larger hook is going to work up faster than a piece with lower-weight yarn and a smaller hook.
    Good advice. I was doing smaller denser stitches with a bigger hook and it was taking forever and hurting my fingers. I started making bigger loops and an "airier" design and it got a LOT easier. It is still taking forever. But by the time I finish, it will be cold.
  10. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    95.56%
    Quote Originally Posted by ThumperJane View Post
    That sounds fun - I bet the dog loved it lol!!!

What kills me is that we see crocheted baby blankets at the goodwill that have been donated. They are selling them for $5. Somebody probably spent $30 to make it and here it is - cheap. A little heartbreaking.
    :sad
    That's so sad
    Last edited by Medic2Doula; 05-11-2017 at 08:22 PM. Reason: Can't figure out the faces
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast