Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: No Sew first timer!!!

1. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie

Sad No Sew first timer!!!

Advertisements
    Hey everyone!
    So my girlfriends birthday is a little less than a month away. By this time she will be in MOS school and I'm reaaaaaally trying to visit.
    I'm a very crafty person. Being in a sorority has turned me into a total diy freak. My gf loves that about me and loves when I make her personal, crafted things.
    Soo I've been thinking about making a Marine Corps themed no see blanket but I never have before!!
    I don't know how many yards should be good for a person who is about 5'5 5'6 .... How many layers is it supposed to have of fleece.... And is this even a good gift that she could keep in MOS. would she get in trouble or judged.
    In my eyes why would someone make fun of someone for a blanket but you never know lol. Please help x)
  2. Senior Member
    This is so funny! I literally just got done making DB a fleece blanket and embroidered his name on it. I went to Joanns and got two different fleeces ( for 2 layers). One side is an air force fleece with a bunch of cute air force logos/sayings etc. and the other side is just navy blue because it is a pretty offset to the air force side. You want 2 to ask for 2 yards of each each fabric for a good size blanket. On the navy blue side I embroidered his name; you may want to skip this it is challenging/frustrating if you have never done it before. Its not the easiest task to make a blanket, my mom is from Mexico and learned how to do all the sewing at a very young age so I definitely needed her help on it at various times during the process but it was fun to make and it is sooooo soft. It is a great gift trust me!!! So to answer your main questions....2 yards of each and 2 fabrics for the 2 layers. (DB is 6'2 but I am only 5'2 and love to curl up in a big blanket so 2 yards works for just about anyone) You can look up online how to make them; she will LOVE IT.
  3. Senior Member
    Marines-Fleece Fabric | Jo-Ann

This is the marines version of the blanket I got for DB> and hey look, its on sale!
  4. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by AirgirlBay View Post
    Marines-Fleece Fabric | Jo-Ann

This is the marines version of the blanket I got for DB> and hey look, its on sale!
    Oh yay! Thank you so much! I'm glad I'm not the only one who likes the idea lol! I'm a big blanket person. I get a new one every holiday so I thought it would be perfect
  5. Senior Member
    Yea I think its a great idea!! Good Luck! I had some trouble making mine and my mother had to rescue me hahah!