Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Pen Pal Anyone?

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Pen Pal Anyone?

Advertisements
    Hey people! I have done this before, but everyone who responded seemed to be really very young and only been in there relationships for a few months. Its hard to have support and share stories with someone who is well behind your current stage of life. My boyfriend and I have been together for a year and a half. He is just leaving for his basic training, and we are taking on the military life for the first time. Lots of fears and challenges on my end for sure! Would love someone who has already been here and wants to give advice and support!!! If anyone is willing that would be amazing! Happy new year everyone!
  2. Senior Member

It might be better to be active on the boards and let people get to know you that way, so you make natural connections that may turn in to more personal relationships off the site. Most people--and wisely so--are going to be hesitant to give out personal information to a total stranger, especially with all the current PerSec concerns.

There are lots of people on the site going through deployments, and many more who have been through them. Start some threads, post in other people's threads, and I'm sure you'll find the support you are looking for, without the very risky exchange of personal info.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  3. we were all rooting for you
    we were all rooting for you
    There are plenty of people on here from all age ranges who are going through or have been through what you're dealing with now. Maybe if you were a little more open to who you'd like to communicate with you would find more potential pen pals.

Just a suggestion!

ETA I totally agree with V.... Remember PerSec at all times.
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RaquelDenise View Post
    Hey people! I have done this before, but everyone who responded seemed to be really very young and only been in there relationships for a few months. Its hard to have support and share stories with someone who is well behind your current stage of life. My boyfriend and I have been together for a year and a half. He is just leaving for his basic training, and we are taking on the military life for the first time. Lots of fears and challenges on my end for sure! Would love someone who has already been here and wants to give advice and support!!! If anyone is willing that would be amazing! Happy new year everyone!
    OP, you are still very young (19) and your DB hasn't even left for basic yet. There is A LOT you can learn from a young girl who has only been with her DB for 5 months but has already been with him through basic. I wouldn't discount advice from anyone since you are extremely new to being a military SO. (According to quite a few ladies on this forum there is a BIG difference between being a military brat and a military SO... it's a whole new ball game)

I agree with the PPs. Become a more active member. Start some new threads when you have questions. Eventually you'll build some friendships and you can find the pen pal you're looking for.

Best of luck.

5. Wine-o
    Wine-o
    Ditto to what everyone else has said. You are only 19 yourself, not sure why you'd rule out people a year younger than you for advice. We currently have some During Deployment threads going on for everyone going through deployment right now - feel free to join one of those to check in with everyone.
    ~Becca~