Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: College

1. La vie boheme
    La vie boheme

Advertisements
    Quote Originally Posted by ChandyPandy View Post
    I am a year into grad school. I am getting my degree in Applied Behavior Analysis, and will have to take a huge certification test at the end to become a BCBA. I study the functions of behavior, and come up with plans of how to change it. Mostly I just implement the plans someone else came up with right now.
    I still follow you on IG and I love seeing all of your endeavors.

So, what all does that involve? Is it utilizing behavior modification and learning principles/foundations?

Let us not love with words or speech but with actions and in truth. - 1 John 3:18
  2. La vie boheme
    La vie boheme

Quote Originally Posted by catch108stchs View Post
    I am getting ready to start my 3rd semester of grad school. Since I did a summer class I don't know if I should consider it my second year or not? lol
    Congrats! What are you majoring in?

Let us not love with words or speech but with actions and in truth. - 1 John 3:18
  3. La vie boheme
    La vie boheme

Quote Originally Posted by Navgirl View Post
    My employer has sent me to school. Learning how to maintain light rail vehicles. Pretty sweet getting paid to go to class. I just finished Electrical Distribution for the Siemens S70.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siemens_S70
    I love what I do.
    I'm not even going to lie, I had to look up what a Siemens S70 is. However, I have a feeling my eldest son would have known the answer to that.

How did you fall into that line of work? That is pretty incredible that your employer is doing that, that's a fantastic opportunity and it sounds like you are very appreciative of it.

4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hope View Post
    I still follow you on IG and I love seeing all of your endeavors.

So, what all does that involve? Is it utilizing behavior modification and learning principles/foundations?
    I don't think you are thinking of me. I just double checked, and while I have an IG account...I literally have 0 posts. Lol.

Behavior analysis relies a lot on Skinner's theories. He believed that there were a set of verbal operants that people use to communicate. When one of them is faulty, that is when adverse behaviors can occur. We also rely on data collection to back up why we do things. So, for example, through observation you might say that a kiddo has behaviors to escape doing work. But, after collecting data, you see the kiddo has behaviors around lunch time every day, so it could be due to a confounding variable such as hunger.
    I misskrissyo 'cause we have a bangin' good time...emphasis on the bangin'.
    Miss[Pregg]O is my twinie!
    TatooBot! is my lesbian partner.

My Blog Updated:Usually weekly, because I forget to update when I updated.
  5. La vie boheme
    La vie boheme

Quote Originally Posted by ChandyPandy View Post
    I don't think you are thinking of me. I just double checked, and while I have an IG account...I literally have 0 posts. Lol.

Behavior analysis relies a lot on Skinner's theories. He believed that there were a set of verbal operants that people use to communicate. When one of them is faulty, that is when adverse behaviors can occur. We also rely on data collection to back up why we do things. So, for example, through observation you might say that a kiddo has behaviors to escape doing work. But, after collecting data, you see the kiddo has behaviors around lunch time every day, so it could be due to a confounding variable such as hunger.
    Yeah, I fail. I was confusing you with someone who has a name very similar to yours and works in the mental health field. I'm sorry!

I know exactly what you are talking about. I finished up a behavior modification course a few semesters ago, and it completely changed the way I interact with children - and adults, lol. I haven't made it to grad school yet though, I still have another year. What made you decide to pick that area to go into?

A Team
    Blog Entries
    So, it has been quite some time since I have chatted with you lovely individuals on SOS.

Are any of you currently in school? If so, I would LOVE to hear all about it.
    Yes I am! I am pursuing another field that I will hopefully utilize. Currently EMT certified, I have a BS in Veterinary Science and Medicine, and I'm going back to school for an LPN, eventually RN...if I can afford it. I actually just went back this summer, EMT licensed and certified was 2 years ago, and my BS was acquired in '12. I'm feeling mixed emotions about where I'm at in life right now, haha.
    How about yourself? :grin Any of your days consumed with classes?
    This girl is gearing up for ANG!

islandxgirl:My bestie, my love, my wifey since 06/22/11
  7. La vie boheme
    La vie boheme

Quote Originally Posted by crimson_heart07 View Post
    Yes I am! I am pursuing another field that I will hopefully utilize. Currently EMT certified, I have a BS in Veterinary Science and Medicine, and I'm going back to school for an LPN, eventually RN...if I can afford it. I actually just went back this summer, EMT licensed and certified was 2 years ago, and my BS was acquired in '12. I'm feeling mixed emotions about where I'm at in life right now, haha.
    How about yourself? :grin Any of your days consumed with classes?
    Oh, wow!

You ran the gamut, eh? How did you end up between nursing and veterinary science?

Actually, yes, I am so ready to be done with being a full time student. I am currently in school with a focus in military resiliency and family counseling.

A Team
    Blog Entries
    Oh, wow!

How did you end up between nursing and veterinary?
    I am currently in school with a focus in military resiliency and family counseling.
    I wanted to change my major my junior year in college, I was told by my parents and grandparents not to. At the time I worked at a facility that had doggie daycare, I would spent 8+ hour days in a 14x14 room with ~17 dogs in there. One facility I worked at, you would get switched out every hour or so. The next facility, you were stuck in there the entire day except for your lunch break. I had been doing that for nearly 5 years by the time I graduated with my BS degree. I was under the impression the BS would constitute as being vet tech certified, it did not. In order to work at a vet clinic I would have to start all over again, doing what I had already been doing for nearly 5 years (except doing a step under what I was dong) and it would have been a paycut of about $4/hour. I had other concerns in the industry (ie becoming desensitized to animals), and graduate school was an option I could not pursue due to finances.

Helping others has always been my calling, I'm a people pleasure by nature so I knew I would have to be in some sort of role where I could help others/make others happy (currently a server haha). LPN is what I can financially afford right now, and I'm hoping RN will become affordable after gaining some experience.

Military resiliency and family counseling sounds like a pretty badass career move, is that something that you've always felt a pull towards?
    This girl is gearing up for ANG!

islandxgirl:My bestie, my love, my wifey since 06/22/11
  9. Senior Member
    Yeah, I fail. I was confusing you with someone who has a name very similar to yours and works in the mental health field. I'm sorry!

I know exactly what you are talking about. I finished up a behavior modification course a few semesters ago, and it completely changed the way I interact with children - and adults, lol. I haven't made it to grad school yet though, I still have another year. What made you decide to pick that area to go into?
    No worries! Lol. It's hard to keep all the names straight, especially when we're only popping in every once in a while.

ABA has changed the way I interact with *myself* sometimes. Lol. But, my journey to get here has been...well, a journey. I got my undergrad in Elementary Education because I always kneww I wanted to work with kiddos, and I assumed that was the way you did that. After I graduated, I was supposed to move to CA, but I got divorced instead. Add in some health issues, and I took some time off of work. I nanniedd a kiddo with reactive attachment disorder and some other behavioral issues. And, then I went into working with adults with developmental disabilities. I knew that wasn't my forever job, but I was trying to figure things out. While I was there, it occurred to me that in my field experiences in my undergrad, I had always been drawn to the kiddos who needed a little more support in some capacity. So, I thought getting certified in Special Education was a good route to go in. I did that, and after a few years of applying to lots of jobs, I couldn't find a job. (I was subbing and doing in-home care with kiddos with autism. I had looked for a job that was closer to special education, which is how I came across that.) Anyway, I finally decided that clearly teaching was going nowhere. I had two different people in a short span of time tell me that I should look into speech pathology. So, I started taking pre-requisites for grad school. I had moved a few times, and my current jobs were not going to work out with where I was living at the time, so I was applying to a bunch of places. One of the places I had a phone interview with was talking to me about a masters program, and I was telling them how I was working on becoming an SLP, but I didn't really like the anatomy parts of it, I was more interested in the behavioral pieces of it, and so she talked to me about ABA and becoming a BCBA. I applied to masters programs and got in within a month. I also now work for that company.
    I misskrissyo 'cause we have a bangin' good time...emphasis on the bangin'.
    Miss[Pregg]O is my twinie!
    TatooBot! is my lesbian partner.

My Blog Updated:Usually weekly, because I forget to update when I updated.
  10. Regular Member
    Blog Entries
    I recently just graduated this summer. Me and my bestfriend just finished our Dental Hygiene program. Now it's time to get paid or find good representation.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12