Venting a bit here, as I can't really vent to many at work...

One of our operators is getting fired today. They neglected to go do their required checks at a pump system, wrote down falsified data, and we ended up going out of compliance (for an environmental permit) because of it. Checked a few other days on the security cameras (since the pump's right by a fence gate) and they didn't show up multiple times.

We had training on this, on how serious the repercussions would be for pencil whipping data. We talked about what the data is used for, how important the data is, what 'compliance' is determined by....

I just feel badly about it, but I don't see any other way for this to have been handled. I'm irritated that this person went through training less than a month ago and still chose to do this. The checks that were required take 5 minutes - you literally go to this pump house, write down a couple numbers, and look to see if the pump is still running ok. It's not a new part of the job by any means.

The op doesn't report to me, but the environmental compliance investigation does fall under my duties. So it's not that I have to fire them, but my investigation pointed towards this person's actions.