Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: When - giving a sentimental gift after death

1. Senior Member

When - giving a sentimental gift after death

Advertisements
    My mother in law very unexpectedly passed away at the beginning of December. My husband and I are having a quilt made from her clothing to give to my father in law. He does not know we are having it made. It should be done this week.

Maybe the answer is "there never is a right time", but I'd like some guidance. When would you give it to him? Is it too soon? Her birthday is next weekend and we were planning on spending most of the day with him anyway, would that be a good time to do it? A bad idea?

I don't really know what we should do.
  2. One does not simply Ewok into Endor
    One does not simply Ewok into Endor

I think it's incredibly thoughtful and giving it to him on her birthday/celebrating her life together is a good idea. I'm so sorry for your family's loss. *hugs*

<3 Anthiea <3 KittenMittens <3
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by germy View Post
    I think it's incredibly thoughtful and giving it to him on her birthday/celebrating her life together is a good idea. I'm so sorry for your family's loss. *hugs*
    Thanks. We decided to do it as soon as we get it and see him next which looks like it'll be for her birthday. It's going to be sad and hard, but I hope it brings him some comfort.
  4. Senior Member
    That is super thoughtful and I think you're right there's no easy time when it comes to something like that, but I am sure the gift will be appreciated! My ex-husbands brother passed away tragically in his 20s and they had bears made out of his clothing and all family members and close friends who received them loved them and it meant a lot to everyone. I think the gift is perfect in such a difficult time.