Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: DC area cell phones

1. Senior Member

DC area cell phones

Advertisements
    We are moving to DC in the Spring. Are there any cell phone providers that are better than others for the general area? DH will be at the Pentagon, and we hope to live in either Old Town or Pentagon City/Crystal City. We will research costs and all that, so mostly I'm just wondering if coverage with certain carriers sucks in the general area, or anything like that.

Also, this is probably such a stupid question, but it's been a very long time since we lived in the US. Is there any reason why it would be better to have a local number, or does it not matter. We are en route between Japan and DC for over two months. We will get to Vegas to visit family roughly two weeks into that, so ideally we will set up our phones there, but I assume that means we would get numbers with a Vegas area code. Does it matter?
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  2. Wine-o
    Wine-o
    I haven't heard of any cell providers being better than others. It's a city, cell service is fine. I have T-mobile and no issues. No you do not need a DC number, I still have my Syracuse NY number. Also, if you are considering Crystal City, I would do some additional research since Amazon HQ2 is moving in there. They're expecting rents to skyrocket in the very near future.
    ~Becca~

3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by brahette View Post
    I haven't heard of any cell providers being better than others. It's a city, cell service is fine. I have T-mobile and no issues. No you do not need a DC number, I still have my Syracuse NY number. Also, if you are considering Crystal City, I would do some additional research since Amazon HQ2 is moving in there. They're expecting rents to skyrocket in the very near future.
    Thanks!

It sounds like the bulk of the Amazon people won't be arriving any time soon so shorter term at least, we are hopeful it won't have much affect. Frankly, all the areas we are looking at are within about 5 miles of CC and inside the beltway, so if it affects CC, its likely to affect all the places we want to live. But I'm not willing to live in the 'burbs if I can help it!
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  4. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    No issues about local numbers. However, I usually get a local google voice number (free) and have that forwarded to my cell phone.
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"