Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hosting a Christmas party

1. Regular Member

Hosting a Christmas party

Advertisements
    Hello everyone, my former boyfriend asked me if I can spare some time during my annual trip to Japan to help him host a Christmas party for his junior marines who arenít able to go home this Christmas. Has anyone ever hosted that kind of party before? Any food ideas? Iím a little bit lost. When I mentioned prosciutto and melon as one of the appetiser, he said itís too fancy. He also shutdown my idea to serve peach panna cotta as dessert. I need a little advice before I decided to accept or refuse his request. Thanks in advance!
  2. Senior Member
    I don't even know what Peach panna cotta is.
    Christmas dinner is pretty much second Thanksgiving at our house.
    I cook:
    Ham
    Mashed potatoes
    Green bean casserole
    Stuffing
    Mac and cheese
    Candied yams
    Pies

Honestly though, a group of young Marines will eat anyting you make for them LOL and they'll be so thankful to not spend the holiday in the barracks.

3. Senior Member
    Most those guys are happy to not be eating in the hall. KISS....keep it simple stupid.

Sure some appetizer, pies or cakes, cookies....I would say homemade is good but I know from a friend of mine when he was a junior guy living in germany he was happy to just have a simple american holiday meal with fellow friends.
  4. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Am I understanding correctly that this party will be in Japan? I agree with Margot that they might really like a simple american meal. Not quite the same thing, but before I met DH I really missed American food, and my work went out of the way to get roast turkey (not common where we lived) for us and it was really nice, especially since homesickness can be worse during the holidays.

Maybe he could see if there is a dish they would really like for Christmas, or maybe there's some foods they like that are hard to get in Japan (even at the commissary?).

Your ideas sound lovely, and I really like panna cotta, but just thinking they might really be craving some food that is hard to get overseas, maybe your DH is thinking along similar lines.
  5. "...now do Classical Gas"
    "...now do Classical Gas"
    Quote Originally Posted by idratherbehiking View Post
    I don't even know what Peach panna cotta is.
    Christmas dinner is pretty much second Thanksgiving at our house.
    I cook:
    Ham
    Mashed potatoes
    Green bean casserole
    Stuffing
    Mac and cheese
    Candied yams
    Pies

Honestly though, a group of young Marines will eat anyting you make for them LOL and they'll be so thankful to not spend the holiday in the barracks.
    Panna cotta is an Italian dessert thing. It’s mostly sweetened cream - coffee or vanilla bean would be the classic additions.

OP, I agree with the others. They’re far from home and it’s Christmas, so it’s likely that what they really want is food from home. Comforting, solid American stuff.

You could get a little adventurous with something like Korean fried chicken (dial it up so it’s nice and spicy) for a starter, I could see a room full of young Marines destroying that. Otherwise, keep it simple. Give them the food they’d have if they could see their families.
    If I cannot move heaven, I will raise hell
  6. Senior Member
    I think I'd tell him that if he wants me to host a party, he doesn't really get to dictate the terms.

That said, simple is probably more than fine. Also, if you aren't up for a whole party, I've seen a cookie or dessert party go over pretty well. Just invite everyone over for a couple hours for dessert and punch.

Also keep in mind that if your boyfriend lives in barracks or out in town, he may well have very limited kitchen facilities.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  7. Regular Member
    Thanks for the advice everyone. I just want to know what to expect. I live alone in australia so during big holidays I just pack my suitcase and book a trip somewhere. This is new experience for me.

Idratherbehiking: Itís easy to make, you make vanilla panna cotta, let it set then arrange some peach slices on top, pour mixture of gelatin and peach flavoured drink and let it set in the fridge. Not too sweet and looks pretty.

Margot: Iíll heed your advice to keep it simple sonce i wonít have access to all my kitchen tools here.

Tojai: Yes, itís in Japan. So far they requested ham, roast turkey and mac and cheese.

Matchbox: I like the idea of KFC aka korean fried chicken. I was planning to make crispy chicken wings, so I think i can make it two ways.

Villanelle: He lives off base and I will have access to kitchen with decent stove and oven. Iíll bake some cookies for them to bring home. Hope they like chocolate chips and speculaas.
  8. OG Member
    OG Member
    Blog Entries
    Go with simple traditional American dishes to give them a little taste of home. If you want appetizers I would go with a good dip and some chips or a veggie tray, these guys will be craving the comforts of home more than a gourmet meal.

9. I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    I think I'd tell him that if he wants me to host a party, he doesn't really get to dictate the terms.

That said, simple is probably more than fine. Also, if you aren't up for a whole party, I've seen a cookie or dessert party go over pretty well. Just invite everyone over for a couple hours for dessert and punch.

Also keep in mind that if your boyfriend lives in barracks or out in town, he may well have very limited kitchen facilities.
    This.

life's a party, rock your body
  10. Senior Member
    I just need to say OP that you're really nice for doing all this for a former boyfriend. Was he planning on cooking too?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast