Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: How to email to let coworkers know I'll be out for surgery

1. Senior Member

How to email to let coworkers know I'll be out for surgery

Advertisements
    I'm probably overthinking this, but I'll be out of work for a week and a half to have surgery to remove growths from endometriosis. Not really something I feel that I need to explain to coworkers in any great detail, but it's already come up. The guy that will cover for my time-sensitive duties has already asked a few too many times why I'm having surgery, so that's cool.

BossMan has asked me to let the team know I'll be out and I'm stuck on how to word the email. Email seems to be the norm in the office.

"Hey everyone,

I'll be out of the office from Oct. 10 through the 12th. I'll be working from home Oct. through the 19th. If there's anything you'll need from me in that time, please let me know.

Thanks,
    Sassy"

Is that okay? I was going to send it out a week ahead of time so if there is anything pressing, there's enough time for someone to get to me what they'll need...? I'll also be forwarding my desk phone to my work cell, I don't get many calls, so I shouldn't be inundated. There's one (female) coworker I've talked about what's going on with, and for those I don't feel the need to share with I'm just saying it's an abdominal surgery. Considering how fast gossip flows through the facility, I'm also slightly tempted to make something ridiculous just to see what ends up at the other end of the game of Telephone.

I don't know why this is what I'm currently worried about, but I am. I could be worried about the move to the new house in a week, or how the Birblets will handle a new house, or the several hundred thousand dollar project I'm proposing at work, or the new permits we'll need for the facility, but noooooooo, Sassy's gonna be worried about a damn email.
    I live dangerously - I drink whiskey while knitting.
  2. Senior Member
    Sorry you are having surgery! Depending on how big your team is and how closely you work together, if it were me I would add in there specifically that you will be out of the office recovering from a routine medical procedure. I know if I said I was working from home for a week that would bring more questions than just stating upfront what the reason is. Only rude people would ask what type of surgery you are having. Also, letting them know what the general reason is implies that you won't necessarily be quick on responses and that if people can divert work to others or wait it would help. I would feel comfortable sending that to my "team" which is like 10 people, but I wouldn't send it to my whole office of 100+ people. Also, it wouldn't hurt to add in the email "If I can't be reached for an urgent matter, please contact "rude co-worker" at "rude co-worker's email"". And congrats on the house!
  3. Senior Member
    We don't work especially close together, and I'm the only woman, so I think I felt weird about it because I know what it is and Derpasaurus Rex Coworker already got up in my business about it. If that makes sense. And at this point, if Mr. Derp decides to press the issue, he's going to be getting a very detailed account of how my uterus is trying to slowly murder me through the sneaky insertion of bloody tissue where bloody tissue should not be. I'm not good with people who press issues.

Mr. Derp is actually the person that's supposed to cover for my dept (of one), so I should probably put contact him. He honestly wouldn't be much more helpful than Sassy on painkillers, but I'd be entertained by it.

We're so excited for the house! My mom's coming to help with post-op, and she's also going to help us unpack a little bit. We're closing a week earlier than expected, so it gives us a little more breathing room to move stuff a carload at a time, clean, put stuff away, fill the sunroom with plants....
  4. Senior Member
    Yea, if you don't work close together then I can see just saying you will be out and contact so and so. I work really closely with my team and share some outside of work stuff (happy hour, know their kids, watch each other dogs, etc. so our dynamic is different). Hopefully you have a speedy recovery and can supervise the unpacking from the couch
  5. "...now do Classical Gas"
    "...now do Classical Gas"
    What you’ve got sounds fine. Simple and to the point

The only change I’d possibly make (it’s up to you, and depends largely on exactly how nosy your coworkers are) is to say you’re out for vague “medical reasons”, so that they know to leave you alone for the first few days when you’re making friends with the painkillers.

If you don’t do this, there’s a chance you’ll have to deal with a work catastrophe earlier than you might like!
    If I cannot move heaven, I will raise hell
  6. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

I think what you have sounds great! It is professional and concise, which is perfect.

I also think it is incredibly rude for someone to ask what kind of surgery you are having. Really even asking why you are going to be gone if you don't offer a reason is inappropriate in my opinion, unless it is someone you are already friends with I guess. Otherwise all they need to know is that you're unavailable for X days, and will be working from home for Y days. If Mr. Derp really crosses the line I wouldn't hesitate to let him and/or your supervisor/HR know - that's not ok.

Hope your surgery goes ok! Last thing you need to worry about is coworkers being weird about it.
  7. Senior Member
    I would include something about medical reasons, only because otherwise I feel like people might innocently ask why or where I'm going on vacation. If anyone is rude and ballsy enough to ask for details, just tell them either that it is personal or that you don't feel comfortable discussing it.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojai View Post
    I think what you have sounds great! It is professional and concise, which is perfect.

I also think it is incredibly rude for someone to ask what kind of surgery you are having. Really even asking why you are going to be gone if you don't offer a reason is inappropriate in my opinion, unless it is someone you are already friends with I guess. Otherwise all they need to know is that you're unavailable for X days, and will be working from home for Y days. If Mr. Derp really crosses the line I wouldn't hesitate to let him and/or your supervisor/HR know - that's not ok.

Hope your surgery goes ok! Last thing you need to worry about is coworkers being weird about it.
    I was wondering if it was a regional thing, because where I come from, if you're saying you're gone and don't offer a reason, the most you ask is "everything okay? Need anything before you leave?" and not "oh why? surgery? what kind? what for?" I don't really have a problem telling people it's surgery but I didn't expect to have an interrogation of what it's for. Dude, you probably don't want to know if I'm not offering details!

I think I'll include that I'll be out for medical leave and see what the rumor mill tells me when I get back. It started with "Sassy Took All The Buckets", moved on to "Sassy Said We Can Shoot the Pigeons", but we've been stuck on pigeons for a couple weeks now. (I took absolutely no buckets, and have not given anyone permission to shoot any animals onsite, by the way.) At least then I'll be coming back to something entertaining, and people should realize that all responses are probably going to be slower.