Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Anything to know or avoid in the NoVA area?

1. Senior Member
    Advertisements
    Quote Originally Posted by brahette View Post
    I like H St NE as well but they also don't have Metro... just the street car that goes to Union Station. And the Red Line can be a total disaster lol. My vet is up there and that's the only place I really drive to in the city lol. I have walked from my place before, it takes about a half hour which isn't too bad if the weather is nice.

I mean driving is a total crapshoot. The stretch of 395 that crosses the river to DC bottle necks all the time and I always get hung up there/695. I avoid driving in this city at all costs. From Del Ray, it could take 15min or it could take 45. Rush hour is a mess. Going TO Del Ray from DC is a little bit better though as long as you're not in the mass rush hour exodus of leaving the city lol. Knowing how important it is to be close to your friends, as long as your husband is ok with like a 30min bus commute or combo Metro when it starts operating again, Del Ray could work. If you're going to be hanging out with them down there all the time, makes more sense to just go into DC when you feel like making the trek and living in Del Ray area.
    30 minutes is what we've set as the ideal max commute, though I think he'd go up to 45 without too much complaint, especially if it was a mindless public transportation commute where he could do some work. It's helpful to know that Del Ray to the Pentagon is about 30 minutes though, as that helps me figure out where the edges of my search should be. I was entering addresses of random rentals I found into google maps to get travel times, but that's not always reliable. So that's helpful! Thank you.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  2. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by brahette View Post
    I like H St NE as well but they also don't have Metro... just the street car that goes to Union Station. And the Red Line can be a total disaster lol. My vet is up there and that's the only place I really drive to in the city lol. I have walked from my place before, it takes about a half hour which isn't too bad if the weather is nice.

I mean driving is a total crapshoot. The stretch of 395 that crosses the river to DC bottle necks all the time and I always get hung up there/695. I avoid driving in this city at all costs. From Del Ray, it could take 15min or it could take 45. Rush hour is a mess. Going TO Del Ray from DC is a little bit better though as long as you're not in the mass rush hour exodus of leaving the city lol. Knowing how important it is to be close to your friends, as long as your husband is ok with like a 30min bus commute or combo Metro when it starts operating again, Del Ray could work. If you're going to be hanging out with them down there all the time, makes more sense to just go into DC when you feel like making the trek and living in Del Ray area.
    30 minutes is what we've set as the ideal max commute, though I think he'd go up to 45 without too much complaint, especially if it was a mindless public transportation commute where he could do some work. It's helpful to know that Del Ray to the Pentagon is about 30 minutes though, as that helps me figure out where the edges of my search should be. I was entering addresses of random rentals I found into google maps to get travel times, but that's not always reliable. So that's helpful! Thank you.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123