Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Last Name?

1. Senior Member

Last Name?

Advertisements
    What are people's opinions on taking your SOs last name when you get married?
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I took my husbands last name because it's tradition and I felt no reason not to. I think it makes paperwork easier being able to say "the Jones family" or whatever, but I understand people not wanting to change, especially if they're established with their name (doctor, etc.).

To each their own.
  3. Senior Member
    I am with Caolina here. My sister is a service member and she is keeping her maiden name till she is out of the navy. She finds it easier to keep it what it is vs changing EVERYTHING for her.
  4. "...now do Classical Gas"
    "...now do Classical Gas"
    The name I use depends very much on what I’m doing, and to an extent on which language I’m doing it in. Double barrelled Spanish last name = I sort of have lots, and Husband hasn’t even been mentioned yet

In spoken conversation or casual things, using just Husband’s is usually quicker, but the name on my various passports is a lot longer.

I don’t really have an opinion on what name anyone else might choose to use. What I do works for me.
    If I cannot move heaven, I will raise hell
  5. Senior Member
    I took my husband's last name right after we got married, but sometimes I wish I had kept my maiden name. My maiden name is not very common, thus the majority of people have mispronounced it my whole life. DH's last name is super common and easy to say/spell. So I guess that's a huge plus to having his name.

6. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    She wanted me to take her last name ,but we each had a career and a reputation under our respective names. She still wants me to take her name though.
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  7. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Names are very personal. I don't think anyone should feel pressured or should pressure anyone else into changing theirs.

I changed mine, mainly because I was indifferent and DH said it would be his preference. The last name I had was not our actual family name (long story short, got changed due to immigration issues) so I didn't feel attached to it.
  8. Senior Member
    It was more of a curiosity thing - DB has already said it's 100% my decision, he knows I never took my ex-husband's last name, we have my 2 children in our household from my marriage to my ex-husband but they have my ex's last name so we currently have 3 different last names in the household anyways so we'll never be "The XXXX Household" I just haven't decided either way. I was curious what other people did.
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I'm not married yet but I've always planned to take my husbands name. I like the uniform of a family unit having the same name
  10. OG Member
    OG Member
    Blog Entries
    DH threw a fit when I mentioned I was considering hyphenating because my degree is in my maiden name, he said if I didn't want his last name then there was no point in getting married. In the end, it was really important to him and it didn't bother me to drop my maiden name so I took his name.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast