Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Last Name?

1. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Advertisements
    Quote Originally Posted by Matchbox View Post
    Squishing them would have been fun.

I used to work at a diamond mine. This was actually the job I had when I met Husband. It...may have put me off diamonds somewhat!
    The whole fake tradition of diamonds being traditional, and the trying to hide the fact that engagement rings were really just substitutes for marriage contracts between families, ...
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  2. Navy Wife Extraordinaire
    Navy Wife Extraordinaire

I took my husbands last name out of tradition. Though, I did kick around the idea of hyphenating.
  3. "...now do Classical Gas"
    "...now do Classical Gas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Guynavywife View Post
    The whole fake tradition of diamonds being traditional, and the trying to hide the fact that engagement rings were really just substitutes for marriage contracts between families, ...
    That’s all true, but it wasn’t why I went off diamonds.

Security on a mine site is...tight, to say the least. There are cameras absolutely everywhere, and if they spot you on camera bending down or crouching, they’re going to assume you must have found something on the ground with the potential to be sparkly. They’d like any stray sparkling items back.

Bend down to tie your bootlace, but the camera angle is a little strange and they can’t immediately see what your hands are doing? They’ll haul you into the office and spend the next few hours systematically going through the seams of all your clothing, the inside of your mouth, between your toes...they start a full search. A very full search. Rio Tinto and the Argyle mine saw parts of my person that I don’t think even my husband gets a pass for!

It’s written into your contract. I was paid exceptionally well, and got SO MUCH time off (fly in fly out, a month there to a month away) but it came with drug tests, more or less constant surveillance on site and the occasional cavity search for fun and profit. They reserve the right to hold you upside down and shake you until diamonds come out.

It would have to be a REALLY nice rock to tempt me after that.
    If I cannot move heaven, I will raise hell
  4. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    That’s all true, but it wasn’t why I went off diamonds.

Security on a mine site is...tight, to say the least. There are cameras absolutely everywhere, and if they spot you on camera bending down or crouching, they’re going to assume you must have found something on the ground with the potential to be sparkly. They’d like any stray sparkling items back.

Bend down to tie your bootlace, but the camera angle is a little strange and they can’t immediately see what your hands are doing? They’ll haul you into the office and spend the next few hours systematically going through the seams of all your clothing, the inside of your mouth, between your toes...they start a full search. A very full search. Rio Tinto and the Argyle mine saw parts of my person that I don’t think even my husband gets a pass for!

It’s written into your contract. I was paid exceptionally well, and got SO MUCH time off (fly in fly out, a month there to a month away) but it came with drug tests, more or less constant surveillance on site and the occasional cavity search for fun and profit. They reserve the right to hold you upside down and shake you until diamonds come out.

It would have to be a REALLY nice rock to tempt me after that.
    O it's a contest! Your inner depths v the lengths they are able to probe! Sounds like a former relationship I was in. Very clarifying!
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  5. Senior Member
    O it's a contest! Your inner depths v the lengths they are able to probe! Sounds like a former relationship I was in. Very clarifying!
    Aaaaand now there's Coca Cola on my desk monitor.
    I live dangerously - I drink whiskey while knitting.
  6. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sassyspoonicus View Post
    Aaaaand now there's Coca Cola on my desk monitor.
    Asher is BACK! (Drops mic and exits)
  7. "...now do Classical Gas"
    "...now do Classical Gas"
    If this was a just world, they’d have given me a diamond beforehand only to have something to find. Or at the very least bought me dinner first.
    If I cannot move heaven, I will raise hell
  8. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    If this was a just world, they’d have given me a diamond beforehand only to have something to find. Or at the very least bought me dinner first.
    Hell, some women I know could have just snuck some coal out. Would have been a diamond in no time! bless those Kegel workouts
    !
  9. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    I couldn't wait to get rid of my maiden name. Then, I became one of the last living members of that side of my family. It took me 6 months to finally go to the social security office and change my name. I think that different people's wants and needs will should determine whether they change their name, or not. For some, it's no biggie. Fo others, it's a complete identity change, more than just on paper.
  10. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    I now see that I came to this thread late
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123