Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Last Name?

1. Senior Member
    Advertisements
    I changed my name before and I'll probably change it again, unless whoever I end up marrying has a shitty last name. I liked changing my name the first time and I liked getting divorced and changing it back. If I had a cool last name I'd want my husband to change his instead. That's the only issue about it that bothers me, the burden shouldn't be on women to change their name.
  2. Mouse Addict
    Mouse Addict
    I changed mine with zero qualms. My maiden name obviously came from my dad and after my parents' divorce, I hated being linked to that name.
  3. Moderator

I took his name. I couldn't care less what anyone else does. I was happy to get a more generic name because my mother is famous in my religion and it's nice to be able to just be me instead of being "so-and-so's daughter" before people find out. Plus the continuity just makes things easier.

ETA: I didn't change my name when I was married to my first husband. I think I knew deep down that it was temporary.
  4. Regular Member
    I currently have a hyphenated name (my maiden- my husband's last name) due to going by my middle name. I am planning to go to court before long and get my first name taken out of my name so then I will have the traditional name go by - maiden name -husbands last name. But it has been a process. My husband believes strongly that his wife (me) should have his last name as it is tradition and he is very traditional. I have no problem with this... just takes some time to get it the way I want it.Especially since my son has my maiden name as his last name (my husband plans to adopt him at some point).
  5. The name says it all!
    The name says it all!

I took my husband's last name simply because I was sick of spelling and sounding out my name for people.

DH: Thank you. ME: For what, babe? DH: For being you.

6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Blog Entries
    I didn't take my husband's name. DH didn't have any strong feelings about it, and I am licensed as an RN in 36 states for my job. It would be VERY expensive and time consuming to change my name at this point and have to pay to have all my licenses name-changed and reissued, and DH understands that. The only strong opinion DH has is that any children we have together have his last name. I understand that and agree.

7. Senior Member
    I took Hub's last name. Hubs had voiced his opinion that he'd prefer if I did for tradition's sake, but if I chose not to, the decision belongs with me, and I'm still his wife regardless. Both names are simultaneously easy to spell while having no one understand how to spell them (why everyone adds multiple "s"s and "l"s, I'll never understand). I hadn't really built a professional life using my maiden name, so I switched to Hub's. If I had built up a professional reputation, I would not have taken his name. FWIW, before we got engaged, Hubs had asked about diamonds in a ring too, and I have no preference - I wanted a colored stone, and was totally fine with gemstones. Hubs was of the opinion that diamonds are traditional, so he thought that was a better choice. He leans more traditional than I do.

I kinda like hearing stories of why people chose their last name when they got married. There's so many options out there, and it's interesting to hear what logic people use to choose a name. Hubs and I half-joked about making some weird amalgamation of both of our names, just because we could. If we would have figured out a good way to squash them together, I think we might have actually done it! Alas, none of the squishings rolled off the tongue.
    I live dangerously - I drink whiskey while knitting.
  8. Regular Member
    I took DH's last name. He didn't seem to have a strong preference. I sort of always figured I would and thought it would make life easier when we had kids. Changing my name was a pain, but so far that easier with a kid thing has held.
  9. "...now do Classical Gas"
    "...now do Classical Gas"
    Quote Originally Posted by sassyspoonicus View Post
    I took Hub's last name. Hubs had voiced his opinion that he'd prefer if I did for tradition's sake, but if I chose not to, the decision belongs with me, and I'm still his wife regardless. Both names are simultaneously easy to spell while having no one understand how to spell them (why everyone adds multiple "s"s and "l"s, I'll never understand). I hadn't really built a professional life using my maiden name, so I switched to Hub's. If I had built up a professional reputation, I would not have taken his name. FWIW, before we got engaged, Hubs had asked about diamonds in a ring too, and I have no preference - I wanted a colored stone, and was totally fine with gemstones. Hubs was of the opinion that diamonds are traditional, so he thought that was a better choice. He leans more traditional than I do.

I kinda like hearing stories of why people chose their last name when they got married. There's so many options out there, and it's interesting to hear what logic people use to choose a name. Hubs and I half-joked about making some weird amalgamation of both of our names, just because we could. If we would have figured out a good way to squash them together, I think we might have actually done it! Alas, none of the squishings rolled off the tongue.
    Squishing them would have been fun.

I used to work at a diamond mine. This was actually the job I had when I met Husband. It...may have put me off diamonds somewhat!
    If I cannot move heaven, I will raise hell
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Matchbox View Post
    Squishing them would have been fun.

I used to work at a diamond mine. This was actually the job I had when I met Husband. It...may have put me off diamonds somewhat!
    Yeah, I wasn't really too keen on diamonds, but Hubs got a synthetic diamond after I expressed much disinterest in "real" diamonds for a variety of ethical reasons. It's even irradiated to be blue...though I'm still not Spiderwoman. *sigh*

I bet you have a ton of stories from working at a diamond mine!
    I live dangerously - I drink whiskey while knitting.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast