Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stuff

1. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    93.01%

Stuff

Advertisements
    How do you purge? How often? I just moved in with DB and purged a TON but we have a very small city condo and there is just NO ROOM for anything, so I'm trying to purge some more, but hitting a roadblock.

He is a total minimalist, so we are compromising and trying to find a balance that we are both happy with, but I still feel I have too much "stuff." I'm also stubborn and want to keep a few boxes of kitchen/home stuff... in case we don't work out. I know it sounds awful I just don't want to have to buy all new shit in a few months if shit hits the fan. I figure I'll keep it for a bit and eventually get rid of it. It's currently in the storage locker, which is overflowing.

I think by most standards I don't have a lot of things, but I am definitely more sentimental with certain things. DB has zero attachment to things, and just gets rid of stuff if he doesn't need/use it in the very moment. I've been reading some articles on how to declutter and work towards minimalism, and damn it's hard!

Anyways, semi life story update to ask how y'all get rid of things? How often? I've already sold most of my cheap furniture, donated 2 car loads, and given some stuff to family and friends. HELP!
  2. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    18.49%
    I struggle with this as well, like your DB mine is a total minimalist and almost OCD on having things organized/uncluttered whereas I am a clutter-bug and I have a lot of trouble getting rid of things "in case" I may need them some day...not that I really would be able to find it if and when the time came I would actually need the obscure item I am suddenly attached to...

I am trying to do mini-purges once a month to stay more on top of my organized chaos lol it's a work in progress, but I will say it is easier to be in a clutter free environment so it's something I like working towards, it just doesn't come naturally for me.
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Lv. Percent
    69.47%
    many things if I haven't touched it in 6 months, I try to get rid of it. It is harder with the kids things they outgrow.

As for the kitchen things, if they are something that can be replaced inexpensive, I would get rid of them. Anything under $10 goes.
    "Obstinacy is a fault of temperament. Stubbornness and Intolerance of contradiction result from a special kind of Egotism, which elevates above everything else the pleasure of its own autonomous intellect, to which others must bow.: Carl von Clausewitz
  4. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Lv. Percent
    81.38%
    Every time I move, which is usually every couple of years. Sometimes more often.
    I, too, am a hoarder of kitchen and computer stuff. I recently tossed out a few file boxes of misc power cords and cables because, well, who needs 50 usb cables! and power bricks that you dont even have the item for it still. that was hard.
    Now I try to minimalize. I don't read much, so I got rid of all my books, save a few cooking books.
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  5. Moderator
    Lv. Percent
    6.46%

I heard somewhere you're supposed to get rid of stuff if it doesn't give you joy, and now I don't have to vacuum or mop anymore!

JK.

I purge all the time, and I always just try to think: "If I died, would someone want this?" That helps me only keep useful and REALLY sentimental things. Good luck!
  6. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Lv. Percent
    81.38%
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSisterWife View Post
    I heard somewhere you're supposed to get rid of stuff if it doesn't give you joy, and now I don't have to vacuum or mop anymore!

JK.

I purge all the time, and I always just try to think: "If I died, would someone want this?" That helps me only keep useful and REALLY sentimental things. Good luck!
    First Bolded: Does that include pets wives and children?

The Second bolded: I have done enough estate sales and cleaned out dead peoples houses and tried to find relatives who wanted the stuff, and I came up with a term for it: OPJ. Other People's Junk. Trust me, there is very little you have that anyone will actually want when you die. Maybe a trinket here or there, but in general, the only things people will want is your money.

My new philosophy is that when I die, I want everything I have to be placed in a giant pyre, add gasoline, and light. Burn it all. I don't want people pawing through my crap asking "why the hell did he buy this?" or "Did he actually really wear this in public?" or the dreaded "will you take 25 cents for this?" (when you paid hundreds for it. for example your collection of any "limited edition collectors X from the franklin mint!" etc.

Just get rid of it all!
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  7. "...now do Classical Gas"
    "...now do Classical Gas"
    Lv. Percent
    25.34%
    Once a year, we go through **everything**. A thorough spring clean, sorting clothes, sorting books, sorting all the kids toys...everything we own.

We do it room by room, to make it seem less overwhelming. If we’re not consistently using something, then it goes. If we ARE using something but can never keep track of where it is, we find a better, more intuitive place for it.
    If I cannot move heaven, I will raise hell
  8. Moderator
    Lv. Percent
    6.46%

Quote Originally Posted by Guynavywife View Post
    First Bolded: Does that include pets wives and children?

The Second bolded: I have done enough estate sales and cleaned out dead peoples houses and tried to find relatives who wanted the stuff, and I came up with a term for it: OPJ. Other People's Junk. Trust me, there is very little you have that anyone will actually want when you die. Maybe a trinket here or there, but in general, the only things people will want is your money.

My new philosophy is that when I die, I want everything I have to be placed in a giant pyre, add gasoline, and light. Burn it all. I don't want people pawing through my crap asking "why the hell did he buy this?" or "Did he actually really wear this in public?" or the dreaded "will you take 25 cents for this?" (when you paid hundreds for it. for example your collection of any "limited edition collectors X from the franklin mint!" etc.

Just get rid of it all!
    Yep! This is why I get rid of stuff ALL THE TIME. We moved 10 times in our 10 years with the Air Force, and now that we have no moves on the horizon I can feeeeeeeeel the things encroaching. Must dump the things. I really hate stuff.
  9. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    93.01%
    Quote Originally Posted by AMP1984 View Post
    I struggle with this as well, like your DB mine is a total minimalist and almost OCD on having things organized/uncluttered whereas I am a clutter-bug and I have a lot of trouble getting rid of things "in case" I may need them some day...not that I really would be able to find it if and when the time came I would actually need the obscure item I am suddenly attached to...

I am trying to do mini-purges once a month to stay more on top of my organized chaos lol it's a work in progress, but I will say it is easier to be in a clutter free environment so it's something I like working towards, it just doesn't come naturally for me.
    DB is the EXACT same. If it doesn't have a proper stored place (and we often disagree on what a proper place is ) it bothers him.

We organized the kitchen and it's so nice. Definitely hard to argue with such clean and crisp looking cupboards.

Quote Originally Posted by DakotaCowgirl View Post
    many things if I haven't touched it in 6 months, I try to get rid of it. It is harder with the kids things they outgrow.

As for the kitchen things, if they are something that can be replaced inexpensive, I would get rid of them. Anything under $10 goes.
    The funny thing is, I didn't have a problem getting rid of the "expensive" stuff. It was all old ikea stuff I got when I first moved out on my own and had no money. I was happy to leave that part of my life behind (and make a pretty penny while selling it). It's the little things I'm having a harder time with.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSisterWife View Post

JK.

DB was telling me about the joy thing. How you're supposed to pick things up and if they don't bring you joy you get rid of them... he was like how about if we have no use for it we get rid of things

This is my 6th move in 6 years... but first time moving in with a partner and first time sharing such a small space. Come over and get rid of my junk for me?!
  10. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    93.01%
    I also have a bunch of old sweatshirts and T-Shirts that I'm holding on to for sentimental reasons. I've seen people do those quilt things... has anybody done that? I think I would really like it, but I'm just curious to know if anyone has done it.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast