Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Tell me all your thoughts on God

1. Senior Member

Tell me all your thoughts on God

Advertisements
    So, I have been reading my literature, and exploring my religious beliefs. I'm really unsure what I believe. I am leaning toward agnostic?
    What do you all belive?
    “There is a time in every man's education when he arrives at the conviction that envy is ignorance; that imitation is suicide”

― Ralph Waldo Emerson, Self Reliance
  2. Senior Member
    I myself think there is a force greater than myself, I'm not really sure what it is, I'm also unsure if it is personified or not. When you think of God, what comes to mind? I keep thinking of the Simpsons version of God. But that isn't what I believe. Is it a being or an energy?
  3. The name says it all!
    The name says it all!

Personally, I believe there is a higher "being", but who or what that is I can't say. I know there is an existence after this life, but again, what form that takes I don't know for certain.

DH: Thank you. ME: For what, babe? DH: For being you.

4. "...now do Classical Gas"
    "...now do Classical Gas"
    Ahem.

I believe in God, the Father Almighty, Creator of heaven and earth, and in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord, who was conceived by the Holy Spirit, born of the Virgin Mary, suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, died and was buried; He descended into hell; on the third day He rose again from the dead He ascended into heaven, and is seated at the right hand of God the Father Almighty; from there He will come to judge the living and the dead. I believe in the Holy Spirit, the Holy Catholic Church, the communion of Saints, the forgiveness of sins, the resurrection of the body, and life everlasting.
    ...Yada yada yada, as it was in the beginning, and now, and ever shall be, world without end amen.

Or for the short answer, I'm Catholic

This doesn't necessarily mean I'm very good at being Catholic, of course. I don't make it to mass as often as I should (a side effect of working on Sundays), it's been months since I last went to confession...I'm not the good girl I ought to be, or would like to be. Nevertheless I try, and my faith fills a very important place in my life. I pray every day. I have done for a long time.

For you...honestly, the question of exactly what you believe and why is one only you can answer. It's an extremely personal question. I'll tell you something I was once told, though, and hope that it helps you - doubt is not a bad thing. Even for someone raised in faith, doubt is not necessarily a bad thing. You have a mind, you have a conscience...these are both challenges and gifts, and using them to ask questions is a part of how you come to understand the answers more deeply. Questioning is how we learn. Questioning God is at least having a conversation with Him, even if it IS an argument!

I was raised Catholic, and was frankly very lucky when I went through my MUST QUESTION EVERYTHING stage. My parish priest at the time had the greatest library I think I've ever seen, and he let me loose inside. As much as I wanted, as many questions as I wanted. I sat in a priest's living room, with my feet on his couch like a pleb, reading Richard Dawkins and a translation of the Quran.

I asked him why, later. He said that either I would find a truth I could live with, or I would not. The best thing he could do for me was help me search, and hope I used the gifts - mind and conscience - which God had given me. In the end I came back to the same things I'd been raised with since babyhood, but understood them in a much more adult way.

Still, even now, there are times when I question. There are times when I honestly don't understand what it is God seems to want of me, or think I understand but get angry because it seems monumentally unfair. I usually remind myself that just because I'm being challenged doesn't mean I'll fail, and that if I do fall short it doesn't mean I have no way back. There’s always a way back. I have to trust that giving someone a challenge they have no chance at all to pass is not something a loving Father would do.

It works for me?
    Last edited by Matchbox; 06-27-2018 at 08:37 AM.
    If I cannot move heaven, I will raise hell
  5. Senior Member
    I believe in something bigger than us...I take my children to church because I want them to have faith in something bigger than them but I don't really consider myself a true Christian there's a lot I don't follow/believe. I have this view (that may offend a lot of people) but that all religion is kind of like a game of telephone...one thing happened and a bunch of people saw it and told their friends who told their friends who told their friends and in the end there were a ton of variations of very different things but they all basically come from the same event...
    But that whole divine intervention or angels watching you - I believe that because there's things that have happened that I can't explain any other way. When I was younger (like 18) and coaching horseback riding for a living I was riding this horse that I rode all the time - he was awesome and chill and I was riding him without a helmet just basic stuff nothing hard, no jumping so I was just riding around. I got this feeling in my stomach and something told me to get my helmet. I pulled into the middle of the ring and asked an assistant coach to grab my helmet - she was like "why? you've been riding for 20min without it? why do you need it now?" I was like, just get it for me please. So I put it on and took him back out to the rail and continued - less than half a lap of the ring later his whole body spasmed and his legs stiffened and he just tipped over - he was unconscious for 1 min, I was pinned under him and unconscious for 3 min - without my helmet I likely would have died or had severe head injury. With my helmet I was fine, some bumps and bruises and a pretty bad concussion but essentially fine. It was a completely random event there was NO WAY to know it was going to happen, he didn't misbehave his body spasmed, so what/who told me to grab my helmet right before it happened?
  6. Moderator

I believe there is a God, who is the father of our spirits. I believe that He has a wife, who is the mother of our spirits. I believe that they have perfected physical bodies. I believe that Jesus is a separate, distinct person, also with a perfected physical body. I believe that God has power over all things over which there is power to be held... like how a biologist can work within the field of biology to manipulate things, but can't change the laws of science, because that's just the way things are. I believe that God has a perfect understanding of The Way Things Are, and can influence things within those truths. He is the ultimate scientist. I believe that Spirit is a form of matter that we can't perceive due to limitations of mortality, and someday when we are transfigured into perfected beings we will be able to interact with it and understand how it interacts with the other forms of matter, and everything will make so much more sense. I believe that we chose to experience mortal lives as part of our metamorphosis into our potential elevated form. I believe that our free will is vital to our progression, and God does not interfere with it. That means that a lot of terrible things happen to people as a result of others exercising their free will. I believe that God will right all wrongs, heal all wounds, and mend all broken hearts and minds, and that all those things that affected us in mortality will be taken into account when we are judged. I don't believe that God wants to rule over us like an emperor or despot. I believe He wants us to reach our fullest potential and become like He is. I believe that He has experienced mortality and spent unimaginable amounts of time learning and developing His understanding and ability.

There's lots more. I'm Mormon, but lots of this is my own personal beliefs, extrapolated from LDS theology.

ETA: I believe that God and science exist in perfect harmony, and when they appear to conflict, we (mortals) are missing information, can't perceive some influence that plays a factor, or either religious or scientific theory is incorrect... or both.
  7. Senior Member
    Anybody else have this song in their head now? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Clxtg2pFTQM Just me?

But to answer your question, I don't believe in a higher power.
  8. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Nope, don't really think about it any more. Satan? Maybe. Our government is evidence of that. But "god" in the traditional sense? Nope. Seems silly.
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  9. "...now do Classical Gas"
    "...now do Classical Gas"
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSisterWife View Post
    I believe there is a God, who is the father of our spirits. I believe that He has a wife, who is the mother of our spirits. I believe that they have perfected physical bodies. I believe that Jesus is a separate, distinct person, also with a perfected physical body. I believe that God has power over all things over which there is power to be held... like how a biologist can work within the field of biology to manipulate things, but can't change the laws of science, because that's just the way things are. I believe that God has a perfect understanding of The Way Things Are, and can influence things within those truths. He is the ultimate scientist. I believe that Spirit is a form of matter that we can't perceive due to limitations of mortality, and someday when we are transfigured into perfected beings we will be able to interact with it and understand how it interacts with the other forms of matter, and everything will make so much more sense. I believe that we chose to experience mortal lives as part of our metamorphosis into our potential elevated form. I believe that our free will is vital to our progression, and God does not interfere with it. That means that a lot of terrible things happen to people as a result of others exercising their free will. I believe that God will right all wrongs, heal all wounds, and mend all broken hearts and minds, and that all those things that affected us in mortality will be taken into account when we are judged. I don't believe that God wants to rule over us like an emperor or despot. I believe He wants us to reach our fullest potential and become like He is. I believe that He has experienced mortality and spent unimaginable amounts of time learning and developing His understanding and ability.

There's lots more. I'm Mormon, but lots of this is my own personal beliefs, extrapolated from LDS theology.

ETA: I believe that God and science exist in perfect harmony, and when they appear to conflict, we (mortals) are missing information, can't perceive some influence that plays a factor, or either religious or scientific theory is incorrect... or both.
    I don’t think I’ve ever knowingly met a Mormon. There are questions I’d love to ask, but I have no idea how to do it without coming across as rude...
    If I cannot move heaven, I will raise hell
  10. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Matchbox View Post
    I don’t think I’ve ever knowingly met a Mormon. There are questions I’d love to ask, but I have no idea how to do it without coming across as rude...
    Just ask
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast