Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tell me all your thoughts on God

1. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Advertisements
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSisterWife View Post
    I believe there is a God, who is the father of our spirits. I believe that He has a wife, who is the mother of our spirits. I believe that they have perfected physical bodies. I believe that Jesus is a separate, distinct person, also with a perfected physical body. I believe that God has power over all things over which there is power to be held... like how a biologist can work within the field of biology to manipulate things, but can't change the laws of science, because that's just the way things are. I believe that God has a perfect understanding of The Way Things Are, and can influence things within those truths. He is the ultimate scientist. I believe that Spirit is a form of matter that we can't perceive due to limitations of mortality, and someday when we are transfigured into perfected beings we will be able to interact with it and understand how it interacts with the other forms of matter, and everything will make so much more sense. I believe that we chose to experience mortal lives as part of our metamorphosis into our potential elevated form. I believe that our free will is vital to our progression, and God does not interfere with it. That means that a lot of terrible things happen to people as a result of others exercising their free will. I believe that God will right all wrongs, heal all wounds, and mend all broken hearts and minds, and that all those things that affected us in mortality will be taken into account when we are judged. I don't believe that God wants to rule over us like an emperor or despot. I believe He wants us to reach our fullest potential and become like He is. I believe that He has experienced mortality and spent unimaginable amounts of time learning and developing His understanding and ability.

There's lots more. I'm Mormon, but lots of this is my own personal beliefs, extrapolated from LDS theology.

ETA: I believe that God and science exist in perfect harmony, and when they appear to conflict, we (mortals) are missing information, can't perceive some influence that plays a factor, or either religious or scientific theory is incorrect... or both.
    Curious...You said perfected physical bodies, not "perfect" physical bodies. What is meant by that?
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  2. Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by CDNTrish View Post
    Anybody else have this song in their head now? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Clxtg2pFTQM Just me?
    I absolutely did too.

To answer the question, I am Catholic and Matchbox pretty covered everything.

My exhusband was Mormon. I had the most interesting conversations with his family. It is a religion I truly enjoyed learning about.
  3. Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Matchbox View Post
    I don’t think I’ve ever knowingly met a Mormon. There are questions I’d love to ask, but I have no idea how to do it without coming across as rude...
    You can't offend me.
  4. Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Guynavywife View Post
    Curious...You said perfected physical bodies, not "perfect" physical bodies. What is meant by that?
    We believe that our mortal bodies will be restored and reunited with our spirits and become immortal, and not prone to mortal weaknesses. We've been told it will be "in our prime," but I personally think it's not something we can define because it's not a state that exists among the human state, so we have nothing to compare it to.
  5. "...now do Classical Gas"
    "...now do Classical Gas"
    Quote Originally Posted by twistertwin View Post
    I absolutely did too.

To answer the question, I am Catholic and Matchbox pretty covered everything.

My exhusband was Mormon. I had the most interesting conversations with his family. It is a religion I truly enjoyed learning about.
    Apostles Creed word perfect, yessss. I’m quite pleased I managed that as well as I did, since my spiritual life is something I don’t generally do in English!

Are you raising your kids Catholic as well? I’m Catholic but Husband is not, and I’m honestly curious about how other families with mixed religious beliefs have navigated it.

You can't offend me.
    Okay, this is going to sound very stupid, but...

Which Bible do Mormons generally use? The reason I ask is that a standard Catholic Bible is quite a lot longer than something like the KJV - there are something like six or seven extra books, plus particular sections of at least two more that Catholics accept but most Protestants don’t. And where does the Book of Mormon fit in?

What’s the deal with no coffee? Does this apply to things like Coke as well?

God has a wife...is this standard Mormon doctrine, or just a personal thing for you? If it’s standard, how would that work? What is Mrs God for?
    If I cannot move heaven, I will raise hell
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CDNTrish View Post
    Anybody else have this song in their head now? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Clxtg2pFTQM Just me?

But to answer your question, I don't believe in a higher power.
    I mean, other than getting opions, that was the point.
  7. Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Matchbox View Post
    Apostles Creed word perfect, yessss. I’m quite pleased I managed that as well as I did, since my spiritual life is something I don’t generally do in English!

Are you raising your kids Catholic as well? I’m Catholic but Husband is not, and I’m honestly curious about how other families with mixed religious beliefs have navigated it.

Okay, this is going to sound very stupid, but...

Which Bible do Mormons generally use? The reason I ask is that a standard Catholic Bible is quite a lot longer than something like the KJV - there are something like six or seven extra books, plus particular sections of at least two more that Catholics accept but most Protestants don’t. And where does the Book of Mormon fit in?

What’s the deal with no coffee? Does this apply to things like Coke as well?

God has a wife...is this standard Mormon doctrine, or just a personal thing for you? If it’s standard, how would that work? What is Mrs God for?
    We use the KJV. We have extensive footnotes that cross-reference to our other scripture as well. The Book of Mormon is like the Bible, just from a different people in a different location. It starts around 600BC with a family who left Jerusalem and travelled to somewhere in the Americas (with an aside to a group around 2000BC), and progresses through the time of Jesus's ministry. He comes to the people in America after His crucifixion, and then the story goes on for another 200 years or so. It's a companion to the Bible, for us, and exists for the same purpose: to testify of Jesus Christ.

Ok so the coffee thing. The "Mormon health code" is called the Word of Wisdom. It prohibits coffee, tea, alcohol, drugs, and tobacco. Once upon a time, a bunch of people assumed coffee and tea were advised against because of caffeine, but that's simply not the case. You'll hear it all the time, even from Mormons, that caffeine is "against the Word of Wisdom," but it isn't. We have been advised to be very careful of any substance not specifically mentioned that can become addictive. Caffeine is on that list for a lot of people, so it's kind of a Mormon old wives' tale. We don't actually know the specific reasons for the nix on coffee and tea. Anyway, people tend to focus reallllllly hard on the "thou shalt nots" of that particular counsel and ignore the other good parts like... eat meat sparingly, eat seasonal vegetables and fruit, get enough sleep, take care of the body, etc.

It's standard Mormon doctrine that there is a Heavenly Mother. She is the mother of our spirits, as God is the father. We don't know much about Her, and we don't know why. I'd wager it's because human men historically have a thing for deleting women from history. My personal feeling is that She is His equal.
  8. Senior Member
    We use the KJV. We have extensive footnotes that cross-reference to our other scripture as well. The Book of Mormon is like the Bible, just from a different people in a different location. It starts around 600BC with a family who left Jerusalem and travelled to somewhere in the Americas (with an aside to a group around 2000BC), and progresses through the time of Jesus's ministry. He comes to the people in America after His crucifixion, and then the story goes on for another 200 years or so. It's a companion to the Bible, for us, and exists for the same purpose: to testify of Jesus Christ.

Ok so the coffee thing. The "Mormon health code" is called the Word of Wisdom. It prohibits coffee, tea, alcohol, drugs, and tobacco. Once upon a time, a bunch of people assumed coffee and tea were advised against because of caffeine, but that's simply not the case. You'll hear it all the time, even from Mormons, that caffeine is "against the Word of Wisdom," but it isn't. We have been advised to be very careful of any substance not specifically mentioned that can become addictive. Caffeine is on that list for a lot of people, so it's kind of a Mormon old wives' tale. We don't actually know the specific reasons for the nix on coffee and tea. Anyway, people tend to focus reallllllly hard on the "thou shalt nots" of that particular counsel and ignore the other good parts like... eat meat sparingly, eat seasonal vegetables and fruit, get enough sleep, take care of the body, etc.

It's standard Mormon doctrine that there is a Heavenly Mother. She is the mother of our spirits, as God is the father. We don't know much about Her, and we don't know why. I'd wager it's because human men historically have a thing for deleting women from history. My personal feeling is that She is His equal.
    I really like that, especially the way you put it.
  9. "...now do Classical Gas"
    "...now do Classical Gas"

Thank you.

I’ve had a look at it, and as far as I’m able to tell the Word of Wisdom just sounds like general good sense. I wouldn’t last two weeks (I like coffee too much, every time I quit smoking I take it up again...and now I’m honestly curious where something like yerba mate would fit in; I don’t expect you to be able to answer, I’m just thinking) but I can respect that as a guideline.

I’m assuming that Mormons are one of those groups who take communion with very slightly dodgy juice. For us it has to be “very slightly dodgy wine” instead, juice is a no-go, but your rules are very clear on wine! Am I right? What does your version of the communion ritual look like?
    If I cannot move heaven, I will raise hell
  10. I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    Sister, while we're asking questions and because I don't want to ask my husband's Momo family (who I will forever defend and even for a while defended this), why do Mormons say they are Christian?

life's a party, rock your body
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast