Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Colorado Springs/Peterson AFB

1. I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    Advertisements

life's a party, rock your body
  2. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    These are all fascinating questions. We will leave Japan in late January. Probably. No idea when we will know for sure what's next; this CO thing could very easily not happen.
    Any chance of Maryland or DC?
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  3. Moderator

In downtown, are there any more high density, multi use type buildings. A 10 story building with 9 floors of apartments and commercial space on the ground floor--that sort of thing? Suburbia is not for me, and "cute little houses" aren't really either. I don't need a yard, and I certainly don't want a large property to take care of. And we don't even really need a massive house. Im more of an urban, semi-industrial person, but I'm not sure that exists in this area. I'm surprised as I imagine CS to be a moderately large city, which usually means that sort of down town, but I'm not seeing it. I'm seeing HUGE houses for well under DH's BAH, but I don't want 3500 sqft. DH and I would be rattling around loose in a space that large! I'll trade space for a doorman and a fitness center and a roof top deck space!

Also, when you mention downtown, is that the area South of Colorado College, near (but maybe north east of?) the intersection of the 87 and 25? And.or near "Knob Hill?" There is no area marked "downtown" on Google maps so I'm trying to orient myself.
    CS is odd like that; it's a fairly large city without much of a large-city feel. It probably helps that it was surrounded by plains, so it didn't have to expand up-- it could just expand out. When I go home to visit, I'm blown away by how sprawling it is now. It never 'feels' big, because it's kind of made up of 20 different smaller areas that could be self-sustaining. I personally think it's the greatest place in the country (lived there from age 3 to age DH-and-I-moved-for-the-military), but given your description of your personal preferences, it doesn't sound like it would be your top choice. Downtown is NOT comparable to any large city downtown that I know of. There is a pretty eclectic feel to downtown, but it has absolutely no "bustle."
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guynavywife View Post
    Any chance of Maryland or DC?
    At this point, I'd say there's a chance of Saturn as part of the Space Force. The things they are throwing out are all pretty unexpected and change regularly!
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSisterWife View Post
    CS is odd like that; it's a fairly large city without much of a large-city feel. It probably helps that it was surrounded by plains, so it didn't have to expand up-- it could just expand out. When I go home to visit, I'm blown away by how sprawling it is now. It never 'feels' big, because it's kind of made up of 20 different smaller areas that could be self-sustaining. I personally think it's the greatest place in the country (lived there from age 3 to age DH-and-I-moved-for-the-military), but given your description of your personal preferences, it doesn't sound like it would be your top choice. Downtown is NOT comparable to any large city downtown that I know of. There is a pretty eclectic feel to downtown, but it has absolutely no "bustle."
    Thanks. Sadly, at this point, "top choice" is a pretty meaningless phrase. There are so few places DH could go, and even fewer that actually interest him even a little, so location isn't much of a consideration at all, unless maybe they offer two things and have him pick. (Actually, the recent email that included Peterson also included Vandenberg--did someone forget he is Navy?!?--but that seems even less up our alley.)
  6. Moderator

Thanks. Sadly, at this point, "top choice" is a pretty meaningless phrase. There are so few places DH could go, and even fewer that actually interest him even a little, so location isn't much of a consideration at all, unless maybe they offer two things and have him pick. (Actually, the recent email that included Peterson also included Vandenberg--did someone forget he is Navy?!?--but that seems even less up our alley.)
    I feel ya. Never once were we actually stationed at an AFB.
  7. Senior Member
    Okay, tell me about Schriever, because despite what he was originally told, the job is there, not Petersen. It looks to me to be in the middle of nowhere. Ugh.

Would the drive from Old Colorado City, or even eastern downtown, be super long?
  8. Moderator

Okay, tell me about Schriever, because despite what he was originally told, the job is there, not Petersen. It looks to me to be in the middle of nowhere. Ugh.

Would the drive from Old Colorado City, or even eastern downtown, be super long?
    I'd say 40-45 from either. If we ever went to Schriever, I'd probably look along Powers for housing. There has been a LOT of development along that stretch in the last decade and easy access to Powers makes everything much more convenient.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12