Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Hair cuts help

1. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    96.35%

Hair cuts help

Advertisements
    I've got the hair-choppin' itch. It comes back every now and again. I get really bored with my hair and then go to the salon and get.....the same thing, but slightly shorter. Then I won't like it, so I'll just ignore my hair (usually by pulling it up) until it's a few inches longer and I get The Itch. It's a vicious cycle at this point.

I did at one point get a pixie cut. I didn't hate it, but I don't think it was right for my face shape - it wasn't long enough to swoop, but it was too long to be spiky. It just kinda laid there or since my hair is temperamental it sometimes wanted to stand randomly straight up.

My hair is medium thickness, kinda vaguely wavy when it wants to be. I do have a widow's peak, and a cowlick in the front. Thanks, genetics! I don't want to spend time straightening my hair, which never sticks anyway, or curling, because that takes forever. Usually I put some texturizer stuff in, tousle it up, and either let it air dry in summer or use a diffuser in winter.

The Itch is telling me I should try a pixie again. My concern is that I'm going to look too boyish in chopped hair plus polos for work and/or that I just shouldn't have a pixie cut.

This is my face: https://www.instagram.com/p/BfN_JM9AEVp/?taken-by=kixkatknitsshop

Any suggestions/ideas on shorter cuts? I'm sick of the generic vaguely layered lob that I usually get. I'd dye my hair, but it has a weird relationship with dyes. Either they won't stick at all, or they won't ever go away (looking at you, red hair dyes and that one weird attempt at bronde highlights!).

Alternative from pixie: this cut? http://www.hairstyles-haircuts.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/Bob-Hairstyles-for-Heart-Face-Shapes-1.jpg

Help please! Especially with hints on terminology to use, since even if I change the words I use I end up with the same thing. (Yes, I bring in pictures, but then it turns into "will this work on my face with my hair?" "we can try and see!" followed by the same thing I usually get but slightly shorter)
    I live dangerously - I drink whiskey while knitting.
  2. we were all rooting for you
    we were all rooting for you
    Lv. Percent
    96.39%
    I will legitimately always encourage people to go pixie. I’ve had an undercut pixie for a while now and LOVE IT. It’s just hair and it grows back. I love using Instagram hashtags to find new styles, and follow hair pages for ideas!

If you trust your stylist, tell them a general idea (“Emma Watson pixie” or undercut with a fade, etc.) and let them do what will suit your face.
  3. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    96.35%
    Quote Originally Posted by KittenMittens View Post
    I will legitimately always encourage people to go pixie. I’ve had an undercut pixie for a while now and LOVE IT. It’s just hair and it grows back. I love using Instagram hashtags to find new styles, and follow hair pages for ideas!

If you trust your stylist, tell them a general idea (“Emma Watson pixie” or undercut with a fade, etc.) and let them do what will suit your face.

Right??! And my hair grows ridiculously fast. Growing out the last pixie wasn't near as painful as the Interwebs led me to believe.

I don't have a lot of trust for my current stylist, I recently had to switch because the girl I went to for a year at least had to leave for medical reasons. She was sassy and fun. And the last time I went in and said here's what I like the pictures of, let's chop all of it off, I ended up with weird boy band bowl cut. But that was like 6 years ago at a totally different salon out in backwoods northern WI. But the lady I went to last time actually used the type of products I said I like to use and helped show me how to style, so I'm hoping she's able to help me.

I'm thinking this cut actually now: https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...tApkQdLQZqt21I https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...u-UQ2_5TsRmzNw

I'm thinking with a pixie I could probably return to wearing ridiculous eyeliners, or get different glasses too. Right now my hair just annoys me and it stays up. I spend 15-20 minutes styling it in the morning....to get irritated within an hour at work and putting it in a ponytail. It feels silly!

Side note : my youngest sister also has her hair cut short and she's so damn cute. She's got the cutest heart shaped face and big ol' doe eyes, and looks like a little wood elf. Took her six months of pleading with my mother to chop it, but she's rocked it for a couple years now and keeps putting new fun colors in it.
  4. "...now do Classical Gas"
    "...now do Classical Gas"
    Lv. Percent
    25.34%
    I dare you to get a buzz cut
    If I cannot move heaven, I will raise hell
  5. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    96.35%
    Quote Originally Posted by Matchbox View Post
    I dare you to get a buzz cut
    Oh boy. That would be a change and a half!
  6. "...now do Classical Gas"
    "...now do Classical Gas"
    Lv. Percent
    25.34%
    Quote Originally Posted by sassyspoonicus View Post
    Oh boy. That would be a change and a half!
    I will no-balls you if I have to.

Honestly, I think you DO have the kind of face that could make very short hair work. It can be intimidating if you haven’t gone truly short before - I rocked a very, very red buzz for a while when I was in my early twenties...mostly to keep my head cool, but still - but I think you could.
    If I cannot move heaven, I will raise hell
  7. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    96.35%
    Quote Originally Posted by Matchbox View Post
    I will no-balls you if I have to.

Honestly, I think you DO have the kind of face that could make very short hair work. It can be intimidating if you haven’t gone truly short before - I rocked a very, very red buzz for a while when I was in my early twenties...mostly to keep my head cool, but still - but I think you could.
    The thought of it that short is intimidating (and also, thank you!)! I've had it probably 2-3" long before, but that's the shortest. I actually chopped it off then because my snorkel gear for work kept ripping out chunks of hair - I had so much breakage, and it was pretty obvious. I had a looooong period of time (elementary until middle of high school) where my hair was between elbow and butt length. But even then I kept it back and up (usually a braid, a ponytail at that length is so heavy I'd get pretty bad headaches). I remember cutting it off at shoulder height for the first time and feeling surprised how light my head felt, lol.

Maybe I'll do this in a two-step, get it like a real long pixie and see how that goes. Right now I'm at the length where if I keep it up in a pony, I start getting headaches, and it barely is long enough to fully stay in the darn band.