Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: World Cup 2018

1. "...now do Classical Gas"
    "...now do Classical Gas"

World Cup 2018

Advertisements
    So, there is just over a week until the 2018 FIFA World Cup starts. I don’t have nearly enough people to get obnoxiously excited about it with Any takers?

The US did not qualify, so who do you pick to win? No points will be awarded for guessing where my heart lies, but who do you want to win no matter how unlikely that win would be?

Husband is already giving me shit about my choice in football, because he is a pleb with neither manners nor taste. Little does he know, the house rules have already been decided...

RULES FOR MY HUSBAND, FOR THE DURATION

- If a match is being played, it’s on the TV. The presence of guests makes no difference.

- No complaining that “bloody soccer is on again”

- Before inviting me anywhere, consult the fixture.

- If a match is on and we DO have guests, I reserve the right to watch on my phone.

- Watching replays, highlight reels etc is necessary even if I already know the result. This applies even if I have literally just watched the game.

- My team losing IS the end of the world. Telling me it’s not is unhelpful.

- Just because I blame the referee for everything doesn’t mean that it’s not his fault.

- My mood swings wildly depending on Albiceleste performance. Should the worst happen, I need your support, not your ridicule.

- If you need to talk to me, it can wait until halftime

- Seriously, if you distract me and I miss something brilliant I will shank you.
    If I cannot move heaven, I will raise hell
  2. I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    World Cup years are my favorite! 4 years ago we were in Germany during the WC and it was AMAZING.

It's still weird the US isn't in it. I'm excited to just watch some good soccer!

life's a party, rock your body
  3. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    4 years ago, the day before the world cup started, a mysterious 80" TV appeared in the common area of my workplace. Additionally, the day it started, some catering from a Mexican company mysteriously appeared

(The chair of our dept is Brazilian and so very, very into soccer)

So yes I suspect I'll be watching a lot of the world cup this year. I've been Team Germany for the last 3 world cups so I'll stick with them.
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  4. "...now do Classical Gas"
    Quote Originally Posted by rayfinkle View Post
    World Cup years are my favorite! 4 years ago we were in Germany during the WC and it was AMAZING.

It's still weird the US isn't in it. I'm excited to just watch some good soccer!

It's not so weird as that. Your women's team is good, but your men's team is...not so much. If it makes you feel better, Australia is also shit.

I haven't yet decided if this is an accurate representation of events. Is Polandball capable of being accurate?

Quote Originally Posted by rocket_lizz View Post
    4 years ago, the day before the world cup started, a mysterious 80" TV appeared in the common area of my workplace. Additionally, the day it started, some catering from a Mexican company mysteriously appeared

(The chair of our dept is Brazilian and so very, very into soccer)

So yes I suspect I'll be watching a lot of the world cup this year. I've been Team Germany for the last 3 world cups so I'll stick with them.
    Your boss must have been DEVASTATED at how the last tournament went. 7-1, ouch.

I laughed about it until the precise moment when Germany beat Argentina too. They spend twenty years being not-particularly-interesting, and then they pick 2014 to put on a masterclass. Bastards. They were magnificent, but...you bastards Germany.

If you're interested, I read a very, very good book about German football earlier this year. If you can find a copy, Das Reboot by Raphael Honigstein is great.
  5. I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matchbox View Post
    It's not so weird as that. Your women's team is good, but your men's team is...not so much. If it makes you feel better, Australia is also shit.

I haven't yet decided if this is an accurate representation of events. Is Polandball capable of being accurate?

I laughed about it until the precise moment when Germany beat Argentina too. They spend twenty years being not-particularly-interesting, and then they pick 2014 to put on a masterclass. Bastards. They were magnificent, but...you bastards Germany.

If you're interested, I read a very, very good book about German football earlier this year. If you can find a copy, Das Reboot by Raphael Honigstein is great.
    I went insane over the 7-1 win!
    Last edited by rayfinkle; 06-05-2018 at 09:54 PM.

6. I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    that picture.

7. "...now do Classical Gas"
    I went insane over the 7-1 win!
    In Germany? Yes, they would have done! It was a clinic, it was beautiful. Brazil might honestly have looked better if they sent out eleven traffic cones instead.

You played in college, yes? What position?

that picture.
    Polandball bringing the goods.

The original strip was in Spanish, but this translation is okay. There is, sadly, no good translation for the word “boludo”
  8. I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    In Germany? Yes, they would have done! It was a clinic, it was beautiful. Brazil might honestly have looked better if they sent out eleven traffic cones instead.

You played in college, yes? What position?

Polandball bringing the goods.

The original strip was in Spanish, but this translation is okay. There is, sadly, no good translation for the word “boludo”
    I did! I played the outside forward in a 4-3-3 formation. Those were the days!

9. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket

She was very upset, actually slammed her office door a little. We quietly hid all the food (that game was catered too) and she didn't come out of her office until after everyone had left that day.
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  10. "...now do Classical Gas"
    I did! I played the outside forward in a 4-3-3 formation. Those were the days!
    You don’t still play?

We’d be at opposite ends of the pitch if we played together. You tear up the wings, I’ll throw my weight around at centre back.

Quote Originally Posted by rocket_lizz View Post
    She was very upset, actually slammed her office door a little. We quietly hid all the food (that game was catered too) and she didn't come out of her office until after everyone had left that day.
    You say this as though that’s not a completely rational response to events. I’m related to an awful lot of people who would do the same, if it had been Argentina instead. Since it’s Brazil it’s hilarious .

I’m still genuinely surprised that Scolari (the coach) didn’t shoot himself after that.

Brazil and Argentina like to say that they’re different. They like to take swipes at each other. In this, though...all the same. Football is love, football is life, football is what you do instead of going to church. Bear in mind, football takes no special equipment and no dedicated space to play - all you need is the ball, and you can make one of those if you don’t have one; I can still turn out a passable ball with paper and string - so it’s something that everyone does. Rich enough to do anything you want, you play football. Poor enough that you have no other toys, you play football. Everyone.

I’d be very surprised if there was a child in the whole of Brazil who didn’t (at least once) say he was going to play for Seleção one day. Every child where I grew up (including me) was certain they’d make La Albiceleste. Gender is irrelevant. Statistical likelihood is irrelevant. It’s every six year old’s God-given right to be convinced he’s Pele or Maradona v2.0. Being Messi or Neymar is also acceptable.
    Last edited by Matchbox; 06-06-2018 at 09:51 PM.
Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast