Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: World Cup 2018

1. "...now do Classical Gas"
    "...now do Classical Gas"
    Advertisements
    Quote Originally Posted by rocket_lizz View Post
    Could Russia actually win this thing?

I've switched my allegiance to England now. I dunno what I'll do if they lose tomorrow though.
    Possibly. They’d have to get through Croatia first, and Croatia have hardly put a foot wrong in this tournament, but...perhaps.

As I keep saying, I’m certain they’ve been offered something above and beyond the usual compensation if they do. I have no idea what it could possibly be, but there must be something. Putin is too intelligent a man not to realise the value of other people seeing Russia run a successful tournament sans boycotts or protesting, and far too intelligent not to see the value of letting everyone see a strong Russian team win it. No one offers to host FIFA out of the goodness of their heart. No one ever has. There’s a message here I think he wants to send - despite possible interference in other people’s elections, and blatantly poisoning people, and whatever the hell the Ukraine thing has become, and the rumbling about consequences for shooting down that plane years ago, and rumours about bad things happening to journalists who cross him...all of that is happening, and yet Russia hasn’t been isolated.

“I’ve pushed and pushed and pushed, and yet you’ll all still play with me. You say you’re very concerned, but you still came. No boycotts, no protests, no censure. I guess you’re not that upset after all, are you?”

Sport as a mechanism for politics. He wouldn’t be the first to use the World Cup this way. I know Argentina did in the 1970s, when we had it.

Also, I can’t decide my tip between England and Sweden!

Quote Originally Posted by rayfinkle View Post
    I wanted Uruguay to win the entire thing.
    Byyyyye Brazil!

France vs Belgium is going to be dirtyyy.
    Agreed. That should be a great match, but a nice one? Probably not!

On the other hand...playing too dirty in the semis could have consequences for the final. Would they be more careful, or just not care?
    If I cannot move heaven, I will raise hell
  2. I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matchbox View Post
    Possibly. They’d have to get through Croatia first, and Croatia have hardly put a foot wrong in this tournament, but...perhaps.

As I keep saying, I’m certain they’ve been offered something above and beyond the usual compensation if they do. I have no idea what it could possibly be, but there must be something. Putin is too intelligent a man not to realise the value of other people seeing Russia run a successful tournament sans boycotts or protesting, and far too intelligent not to see the value of letting everyone see a strong Russian team win it. No one offers to host FIFA out of the goodness of their heart. No one ever has. There’s a message here I think he wants to send - despite possible interference in other people’s elections, and blatantly poisoning people, and whatever the hell the Ukraine thing has become, and the rumbling about consequences for shooting down that plane years ago, and rumours about bad things happening to journalists who cross him...all of that is happening, and yet Russia hasn’t been isolated.

“I’ve pushed and pushed and pushed, and yet you’ll all still play with me. You say you’re very concerned, but you still came. No boycotts, no protests, no censure. I guess you’re not that upset after all, are you?”

Sport as a mechanism for politics. He wouldn’t be the first to use the World Cup this way. I know Argentina did in the 1970s, when we had it.

Also, I can’t decide my tip between England and Sweden!

Agreed. That should be a great match, but a nice one? Probably not!

On the other hand...playing too dirty in the semis could have consequences for the final. Would they be more careful, or just not care?
    I meant dirty more as like awesome and sick but it totally could be a game of fouls.
    Yellow cards are wiped out after the quarterfinals though!

life's a party, rock your body
  3. "...now do Classical Gas"
    Quote Originally Posted by rayfinkle View Post
    I meant dirty more as like awesome and sick but it totally could be a game of fouls.
    Yellow cards are wiped out after the quarterfinals though!
    I have learned something. I had no idea “dirty” could be used that way. Derp de derp, English is hard.
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    I finally got back after our soccer tournament and we were all talking about the different games at FIFA. The England game was great. Others were not as impressed. The Russia vs. Croatia game was just a nail biter. Those shootouts kill me.
    "Obstinacy is a fault of temperament. Stubbornness and Intolerance of contradiction result from a special kind of Egotism, which elevates above everything else the pleasure of its own autonomous intellect, to which others must bow.: Carl von Clausewitz
  5. "...now do Classical Gas"
  6. "...now do Classical Gas"
    Good grief, English fans. You win against Sweden and celebrate by trashing an IKEA?!

Normally bad behaviour around football is reserved for when you lose. Could there be one or two crossed wires about this?
  7. I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    Sort it out Belgium!

8. "...now do Classical Gas"
    Oof. Bad luck Belgium.

Of all the ways for France to pull off a win, I would not have picked Samuel Umtiti.
  9. I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    Bye England!

I have meetings on Wednesdays and had to miss the whole second half and OT! Saw the last few minutes. YEEEEAH Croatia!!!

Puuuumped for the game on Sunday.

10. "...now do Classical Gas"
    Croatia won the match...and then sent out their under-7s.

These (or at least most of them) are Luka Modric's children, and they're having a wonderful time.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast