Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: World Cup 2018

1. "...now do Classical Gas"
    "...now do Classical Gas"
    Advertisements
    Quote Originally Posted by rayfinkle View Post
    Sick header by Uruguay!
    I feel so bad for the Egyptian keeper. He'd done so well for them all day, but...what can you even do with something like that?

Also, this year's Oscar for Best Actor is going to Said. Calling it now. Diving sack of shit.

Here's my bracket:

I'd agree with most of that. I think France is a stronger chance then you credit them though, they’ll make it one step further than you have them, and I HAVE to tip Argentina to make it to the final. I know Germany are a more consistent side, especially in defence - our defence is garbage. I know Argentina didn't do particularly well qualifying for the tournament, and that they've looked nervy for a long time. But this is Messi's last chance, it must be, and if he doesn't bring them back a trophy the entire country will never forgive him.

It's funny, really. He's one of the greatest players on the planet, and yet Leo Messi is not particularly loved. Quiet, reserved, married his childhood sweetheart, never once played club football at home...he doesn't fit the model that Argentineans have trained ourselves to love. Kun Aguero does, he ticks box after box in the stereotype, but Leo doesn't. It must be like playing with a gun against the side of his head, to know that the only way to change that is to win here.

Plus a Brazil-Argentina game is always fun If it's Brazil-Germany, the Germans will just flatten them again. Boring, no?
    Last edited by Matchbox; 06-15-2018 at 11:37 AM.
    If I cannot move heaven, I will raise hell
  2. I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matchbox View Post
    I feel so bad for the Egyptian keeper. He'd done so well for them all day, but...what can you even do with something like that?

Also, this year's Oscar for Best Actor is going to Said. Calling it now. Diving sack of shit.

I'd agree with most of that. I think France is a stronger chance then you credit them though, they’ll make it one step further than you have them, and I HAVE to tip Argentina to make it to the final. I know Germany are a more consistent side, especially in defence - our defence is garbage. I know Argentina didn't do particularly well qualifying for the tournament, and that they've looked nervy for a long time. But this is Messi's last chance, it must be, and if he doesn't bring them back a trophy the entire country will never forgive him.

It's funny, really. He's one of the greatest players on the planet, and yet Leo Messi is not particularly loved. Quiet, reserved, married his childhood sweetheart, never once played club football at home...he doesn't fit the model that Argentineans have trained ourselves to love. Kun Aguero does, he ticks box after box in the stereotype, but Leo doesn't. It must be like playing with a gun against the side of his head, to know that the only way to change that is to win here.

Plus a Brazil-Argentina game is always fun If it's Brazil-Germany, the Germans will just flatten them again. Boring, no?
    Sometimes I pick and root for teams because I just love the country. Like Uruguay, it's one of my favorite places I have been too!

I don't blame Messi for playing for Barcelona though! But I get what you're saying. Didn't he say a few years ago he wasn't even going to play international anymore?

Brazil-Argentina would be nuts! I like Germany but I truly don't care. I just like watching all the games!
    Thank god for Telemundo so I can watch while at work!

life's a party, rock your body
  3. I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    Damn, Morocco. Own goal in the 90 min.

4. "...now do Classical Gas"
    Sometimes I pick and root for teams because I just love the country. Like Uruguay, it's one of my favorite places I have been too!

I don't blame Messi for playing for Barcelona though! But I get what you're saying. Didn't he say a few years ago he wasn't even going to play international anymore?

Brazil-Argentina would be nuts! I like Germany but I truly don't care. I just like watching all the games!
    Thank god for Telemundo so I can watch while at work!
    I can’t see the TV from the kitchen, but I have the radio. If anyone at work touches the dial, I’m going to start taking hands off at the wrist. I’ll also admit that I have my Argentine flag bandana on standby for work - I can’t wear my shirt, it would get ruined, but I can rock a cravat at work for days.

I can’t fault him either. Not in the circumstances; OMG BARCA would have been enough of a temptation to go, but that’s not why he went. He went because he was an outrageously gifted boy with a complicated medical issue, and Barca said if he signed with them they’d pay for his treatment. Haven’t you ever wondered why he’s so short? He’d be even shorter if he never went to Spain. There’s no way his family could have paid for it - no one in Argentina had any money at that point, the whole country was a spectacular train wreck heading for Dysfunction Junction - so Barca was an offer too good to refuse.

...if you ever think US politics is bad, come back to me when you burn through five presidents in two weeks. . Train wreck.

The trouble is that football isn’t very rational, so having gone so young he could never be loved. People can’t love a player they barely know, and he’s so reserved and serious that it would be difficult anyway. The idealised Argentine player, the dream of the pibe, that’s someone he can’t be no matter how much people wish he could.

”...an angel with a dirty face and a mane of hair rebelling against the comb; intelligent, roving, persuasive trickster eyes hinting at a laugh which does not quite manage to form on his mouth, with it’s teeth worn down on yesterday’s bread. His trousers are patches, his shirt has a low collar and blue and white stripes eaten away by the invisible mice of use. His knees are covered in scabs, and he is either barefoot or with shoes worn through at the toes from too much shooting. His stance must be characteristic: it must be as though he dribbles with a rag ball. This is important, no other will do. A rag ball, bound with string or an old sock. If a monument is raised to this one day, there will be many here who take off our hats to it, as we do in church”

He can’t be that. Aguero can, that’s exactly what Aguero was once, but Messi...never.

Damn, Morocco. Own goal in the 90 min.
    Self hatred commences in three, two...
  5. I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    Interesting! I never knew that about Messi.

Spain vs Portugal... VAMONOS!

6. I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    Wow! Ronaldo and his fancy feet got them a PK. 1-0 Portugal 3 min in!

7. "...now do Classical Gas"
    Interesting! I never knew that about Messi.

Spain vs Portugal... VAMONOS!
    It’s true. He has some kind of growth hormone issue. It would have cost his family thousands of USD every year (which I can guarantee they didn’t have!) to treat it with injections of the hormone he can’t make. Barcelona said they’d cover it, and that’s why he signed.

How many grown men have you met who are five and a half feet tall? He’s shorter than I am, and quite possibly shorter than you!

Wow! Ronaldo and his fancy feet got them a PK. 1-0 Portugal 3 min in!
    This is the game of the round, to my mind. They’re so well matched. Who do you think is the better side?
  8. I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matchbox View Post
    It’s true. He has some kind of growth hormone issue. It would have cost his family thousands of USD every year (which I can guarantee they didn’t have!) to treat it with injections of the hormone he can’t make. Barcelona said they’d cover it, and that’s why he signed.

How many grown men have you met who are five and a half feet tall? He’s shorter than I am, and quite possibly shorter than you!

This is the game of the round, to my mind. They’re so well matched. Who do you think is the better side?
    Nope, he has me beat!

I think Spain is better? but pretty stinking even. Probably one of the best games in the cup!

9. I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    Ronaldo is gettin' after it. What a doofus goalie!

10. I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    WOW! WHAT.A.GAME. freaking ronaldo, man.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast