Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: World Cup 2018

1. I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    Advertisements
    Quote Originally Posted by Matchbox View Post
    You don’t still play?

We’d be at opposite ends of the pitch if we played together. You tear up the wings, I’ll throw my weight around at centre back.

You say this as though that’s not a completely rational response to events. I’m related to an awful lot of people who would do the same, if it had been Argentina instead. Since it’s Brazil it’s hilarious .

I’m still genuinely surprised that Scolari (the coach) didn’t shoot himself after that.

Brazil and Argentina like to say that they’re different. They like to take swipes at each other. In this, though...all the same. Football is love, football is life, football is what you do instead of going to church. Bear in mind, football takes no special equipment and no dedicated space to play - all you need is the ball, and you can make one of those if you don’t have one; I can still turn out a passable ball with paper and string - so it’s something that everyone does. Rich enough to do anything you want, you play football. Poor enough that you have no other toys, you play football. Everyone.

I’d be very surprised if there was a child in the whole of Brazil who didn’t (at least once) say he was going to play for Seleção one day. Every child where I grew up (including me) was certain they’d make La Albiceleste. Gender is irrelevant. Statistical likelihood is irrelevant. It’s every six year old’s God-given right to be convinced he’s Pele or Maradona v2.0. Being Messi or Neymar is also acceptable.
    I still play! Just not as intense as college.
    I played on a German team most recently but now that we're back in the US I just play pick up games.

I do love how much of the world plays soccer. I have played in the streets of Croatia, Italy, Poland and Korea with random kids and adults and they were all surprised I was decently good.
    Soccer is still developing on the women's side in most countries though. Even in Germany, the men's club team treated our team like shit. Like we had no business out there.

life's a party, rock your body
  2. "...now do Classical Gas"
    "...now do Classical Gas"
    Quote Originally Posted by rayfinkle View Post
    I still play! Just not as intense as college.
    I played on a German team most recently but now that we're back in the US I just play pick up games.

I do love how much of the world plays soccer. I have played in the streets of Croatia, Italy, Poland and Korea with random kids and adults and they were all surprised I was decently good.
    Soccer is still developing on the women's side in most countries though. Even in Germany, the men's club team treated our team like shit. Like we had no business out there.
    They can think what they like. We’re not playing to please them.

I do know what you mean though. When they’re small, girls and boys play together...and then when the boys get bigger girls are pushed to one side. It happened to me as well.

This year’s World Cup is going to make my father sentimental, I know it. Family legend, such as it is, is that he asked Mamá to marry him at the 1978 final. They had tickets, Albiceleste won and he got so overexcited that he couldn’t help himself

“THIS IS ALREADY THE BEST DAY OF MY LIFE MARRY ME”
    If I cannot move heaven, I will raise hell
  3. I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    I’ll come back to comment but we are in a Lyft right now and our driver is from Brazil and all we have talked about is soccer. I brought up the 7-1 loss... we don’t talk about it.

4. I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    Went to the USWNT vs CHINA last night! Every time I go to these games I feel like a 10 year old girl all over again.

US won 1-0.

5. "...now do Classical Gas"
    I’ll come back to comment but we are in a Lyft right now and our driver is from Brazil and all we have talked about is soccer. I brought up the 7-1 loss... we don’t talk about it.
    That’s what we call an “asshole move”.

Went to the USWNT vs CHINA last night! Every time I go to these games I feel like a 10 year old girl all over again.

US won 1-0.

Good grief, there’s...honestly no one there. And I thought Australian crowd numbers were low!

(Australians do not, as a rule, care about football. There are at least three other kinds of football played, so this one gets drowned out a lot)

Who was it who scored?
  6. I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matchbox View Post
    That’s what we call an “asshole move”.

Good grief, there’s...honestly no one there. And I thought Australian crowd numbers were low!

(Australians do not, as a rule, care about football. There are at least three other kinds of football played, so this one gets drowned out a lot)

Who was it who scored?
    That picture was after the game when everyone cleared the stadium! it was a great turnout!

Alex Morgan scored. She bugs me me butttt my favorite player at the moment, Rapinoe, sent her the ball. Sick header into the net!

7. "...now do Classical Gas"
    That picture was after the game when everyone cleared the stadium! it was a great turnout!

Alex Morgan scored. She bugs me me butttt my favorite player at the moment, Rapinoe, sent her the ball. Sick header into the net!
    I think very highly of Megan Rapinoe. She's good. She's clever. Consistently smart, always seems to know what's going on around her under pressure, and her footwork is on point. Beautiful precise technical skills.

I'm glad you enjoyed yourself.

There is absolutely no good local football to be had here at the moment. Superliga, which is the domestic competition I REALLY worry about (te amo, Boca ) ended in May, the domestic season here won't start for months...there's no football, and I'm fidgeting. I don't know what to do with my hands!

Husband shows absolutely no sympathy. Pleb.
  8. "...now do Classical Gas"
    And we're off...

Rampant Russia thrash Saudi Arabia in World Cup opener

Denis Cheryshev scored a brace and Aleksandr Golovin starred as Russia kicked off their first home World Cup with a rampant 5-0 Group A thrashing of a lacklustre Saudi Arabia side in Moscow.

Yuri Gazinskiy and Cheryshev struck first-half goals to open their international accounts at Luzhniki Stadium, Artem Dzyuba adding a third 89 seconds after his introduction as a second-half replacement, but an injury to star man Alan Dzagoev will cause concern for Russia.

Dzagoev hurt his hamstring in the opening period and could be a doubt for the rest of the tournament, depending on the results of a scan.

Gazinskiy headed in Golovin's cross to score the first goal of the 2018 event, with Dzagoev's replacement Cheryshev lashing in the second before the interval.

Russia started the World Cup as the lowest-ranked team in the tournament but the hosts were a class above Saudi Arabia, Dzyuba's header stretching the lead in the 71st minute.

Cheryshev showed he could be the man to fill Dzagoev's shoes with a fantastic injury-time goal, finding the top corner with a sublime shot with the outside of his left boot, before Golovin bent in a brilliant free-kick to finish the match in style.

Juan Antonio Pizzi's men struggled to create a chance of note, failed to record a shot on target and gave away possession on countless occasions, enabling Russia to record their first World Cup win since 2002.
    I would not have picked this result. I didn't really rate Russia going in to this! Still, 5-0 is not something to sneeze at, so I guess they think they have something to prove.

The next off the blocks are going to be Egypt and Uruguay.
  9. I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    Sick header by Uruguay!

10. I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    Here's my bracket:

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast