Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tell me about your garden!

1. I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.

Tell me about your garden!

Advertisements
    We have a great space in our backyard for our garden. We have tilled it already and are currently putting up a fence.
    I am pumped to grow some shit!

What do you grow in your garden? Any tips for a beginner?!

life's a party, rock your body
  2. Senior Member
    I'm in NM, but my favorites that are hardy are sugar snap peas, cherry (Sweetie) tomatos, Swiss chard, spinach and radishes. Radishes really only because they have such a quick turn around that my kids love to watch how fast they grow.

I love herbs too, but he have them separate because they will take a garden over. Mint is the devil I found out the hard way, ha.
    Never do anything halfway unless you want to be half happy.

Is this a dream? If it is, please don't wake me from this high. I'd become comfortably numb
    until you opened up my eyes to what it's like when everything is right...I can't believe you found me ♥
  3. Senior Member
    Northern IN. We just put in the starts of a butterfly & bird garden using a pollinator seed mix (mix of annual & perennial). Things are starting to come up in force! We also put in a serviceberry bush and a red dogwood bush.

We seem to have eight trillion rabbits in our neighborhood, so we won't do food plants. The little buggers eat them nearly immediately, and after the rabbits chomp on them, the feral cats come over and pee on them. Otherwise, we'd do a couple different tomatoes, some peppers, onions, etc.
    I live dangerously - I drink whiskey while knitting.
  4. Dancing Backwards in High Heels
    Dancing Backwards in High Heels
    It's been so wet here and I've been so busy, I haven't even tilled my garden yet. Maybe tomorrow.

This year we will have tomatoes (roma/big boy), peppers (too many varieties to count), broccoli, spinach, cucumbers, carrots, watermelon, pumpkins and potatoes. (I'm sure there is something I'm forgetting) We also have raspberries, blueberries, black berries and strawberries.

Biggest advice is buy local seeds/plants. They will do the best. Also don't go over board on planting if you don't have a plan for all of the fruits/veggies. Sometimes it gets to be overwhelming. Water in the early morning or late at night, never midday as that could shock the plants. Finally, don't plant anything you won't eat. We've done this, and I don't know why. I guess to see if we could make it grow?
  5. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Tomatoes and basil, mint and parsley
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  6. "...now do Classical Gas"
    "...now do Classical Gas"
    Everywhere I’ve lived, I’ve had a garden. My current one is...busy.

I’ve got herbs in pots on most of the windowsills - basil, mint, thyme, rosemary, oregano, chives, tarragon, lemon verbena, everything I can get seeds for. I’m growing a couple of different kinds of chillies.

Right at this moment, with the garden in cold weather mode, I have potatoes growing in a bucket and mushrooms in a box in the cupboard under the sink.

I’ve got carrots. I’ve got a pumpkin that would make Cinderella have fits. I’m growing various greens - silverbeet, spinach, warrigal greens, bok choy, fennel (I'm loving my fennel at the moment). I’ve got beetroot. Broad beans. Winter peas...really fresh peas can be a pain in the ass to shell, but they’re so sweet they’d make you never want to use frozen again.

I need to plant more strawberries. The kids love those.
    Last edited by Matchbox; 05-23-2018 at 06:06 AM.
    If I cannot move heaven, I will raise hell
  7. Senior Member
    I kill everything, even succulents. If I don't kill it on accident my dog tramples it and drags it around the yard. No garden for me. But good luck! I wish I could grow one.
  8. I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    Quote Originally Posted by missinghim View Post
    I'm in NM, but my favorites that are hardy are sugar snap peas, cherry (Sweetie) tomatos, Swiss chard, spinach and radishes. Radishes really only because they have such a quick turn around that my kids love to watch how fast they grow.

I love herbs too, but he have them separate because they will take a garden over. Mint is the devil I found out the hard way, ha.
    We found mint in our garden a few weeks ago, there was so much of it! My friend took a ton home for mojitos.

Quote Originally Posted by sassyspoonicus View Post
    Northern IN. We just put in the starts of a butterfly & bird garden using a pollinator seed mix (mix of annual & perennial). Things are starting to come up in force! We also put in a serviceberry bush and a red dogwood bush.

We seem to have eight trillion rabbits in our neighborhood, so we won't do food plants. The little buggers eat them nearly immediately, and after the rabbits chomp on them, the feral cats come over and pee on them. Otherwise, we'd do a couple different tomatoes, some peppers, onions, etc.
    I am disappointed we haven't seen rabbits at our new house but I guess it's probably a good thing!

Quote Originally Posted by HisJuliet View Post
    It's been so wet here and I've been so busy, I haven't even tilled my garden yet. Maybe tomorrow.

This year we will have tomatoes (roma/big boy), peppers (too many varieties to count), broccoli, spinach, cucumbers, carrots, watermelon, pumpkins and potatoes. (I'm sure there is something I'm forgetting) We also have raspberries, blueberries, black berries and strawberries.

Biggest advice is buy local seeds/plants. They will do the best. Also don't go over board on planting if you don't have a plan for all of the fruits/veggies. Sometimes it gets to be overwhelming. Water in the early morning or late at night, never midday as that could shock the plants. Finally, don't plant anything you won't eat. We've done this, and I don't know why. I guess to see if we could make it grow?
    Awesome! I love the idea of using local seeds and plants!

Quote Originally Posted by Guynavywife View Post
    Tomatoes and basil, mint and parsley
    How do you do your herbs? Should I do them more in pots?

Quote Originally Posted by Matchbox View Post
    Everywhere I’ve lived, I’ve had a garden. My current one is...busy.

I’ve got herbs in pots on most of the windowsills - basil, mint, thyme, rosemary, oregano, chives, tarragon, lemon verbena, everything I can get seeds for. I’m growing a couple of different kinds of chillies.

Right at this moment, with the garden in cold weather mode, I have potatoes growing in a bucket and mushrooms in a box in the cupboard under the sink.

I’ve got carrots. I’ve got a pumpkin that would make Cinderella have fits. I’m growing various greens - silverbeet, spinach, warrigal greens, bok choy, fennel (I'm loving my fennel at the moment). I’ve got beetroot. Broad beans. Winter peas...really fresh peas can be a pain in the ass to shell, but they’re so sweet they’d make you never want to use frozen again.

I need to plant more strawberries. The kids love those.
    I am excited to get this going! I think I am going to stay away from pumpkins though...

Quote Originally Posted by AdaraMarie View Post
    I kill everything, even succulents. If I don't kill it on accident my dog tramples it and drags it around the yard. No garden for me. But good luck! I wish I could grow one.
    We are building a fence at the moment to keep the mutts out!

life's a party, rock your body
  9. "...now do Classical Gas"
    "...now do Classical Gas"
    Quote Originally Posted by rayfinkle View Post
    We found mint in our garden a few weeks ago, there was so much of it! My friend took a ton home for mojitos.

How do you do your herbs? Should I do them more in pots?

I am excited to get this going! I think I am going to stay away from pumpkins though...
    Be careful of mint. It’s wonderful, but it grows everywhere. If you don’t keep it confined, it will take over most of your garden! It’s the plant equivalent of either a cat or a toddler.

Pots are a great way to grow herbs. Lettuce and greens for salads as well, if you can find seeds. Clear a sunny space on a windowsill somewhere, label it so you know what you’ve planted and go to town. What kind of herbs do you use most?

And yes, the pumpkin patch has been interesting. Honestly, I just really like pumpkin.
    If I cannot move heaven, I will raise hell
  10. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Matchbox View Post
    Be careful of mint. It’s wonderful, but it grows everywhere. If you don’t keep it confined, it will take over most of your garden! It’s the plant equivalent of either a cat or a toddler.

Pots are a great way to grow herbs. Lettuce and greens for salads as well, if you can find seeds. Clear a sunny space on a windowsill somewhere, label it so you know what you’ve planted and go to town. What kind of herbs do you use most?

And yes, the pumpkin patch has been interesting. Honestly, I just really like pumpkin.
    Yes! They are rizoms(sp). I want a whole lawn of mint, instead of grass.
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast