Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tell me about your garden!

1. Senior Member
    Advertisements
    Quote Originally Posted by rayfinkle View Post
    We found mint in our garden a few weeks ago, there was so much of it! My friend took a ton home for mojitos.

I am disappointed we haven't seen rabbits at our new house but I guess it's probably a good thing!

Awesome! I love the idea of using local seeds and plants!

How do you do your herbs? Should I do them more in pots?

I am excited to get this going! I think I am going to stay away from pumpkins though...

We are building a fence at the moment to keep the mutts out!

If you want some, I can send you some. LOL

I counted 3 in the yard this morning. We actually put up a rabbit fence around the seeded area to protect it for a little bit and the little sh*ts chewed a perfectly rabbit size hole through it. They are so not-terrified of humans that I can pretty much walk up to them and yell at them before they run away.

So, uh, get a metal mesh fence if you do have a rabbit problem at any point. Do not trust packaging that say "Rabbit resistant!!!" on (what I thought was) plastic coated metal mesh (was just plastic). Or maybe we have mutant bunnies. *shrug*
    I live dangerously - I drink whiskey while knitting.
  2. Regular Member
    I've been working on getting more of the garden set up recently. I like hardy perennials, particularly native plants, because I'm horrid at remembering to water plants. Let alone those that need deadheading or other care. I'm trying to establish some lungwort (a bit finicky but so pretty). Mostly though it's hostas, geraniums, astrilble, and the like. There are way too many deer, bunnies, and squirrels for me to want to try vegetables. However, I do grow rosemary and lavender in a bed and a couple of other herbs in pots on the deck (where they are less likely to be eaten).
  3. "...now do Classical Gas"
    "...now do Classical Gas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Guynavywife View Post
    Yes! They are rizoms(sp). I want a whole lawn of mint, instead of grass.
    I’m truly, sincerely surprised you haven’t carpeted your entire garden in catnip. Were I in your place, I don’t think I’d be able to resist seeing the entire population of cats stoned off their collective ass.

Quote Originally Posted by sassyspoonicus View Post
    If you want some, I can send you some. LOL

I counted 3 in the yard this morning. We actually put up a rabbit fence around the seeded area to protect it for a little bit and the little sh*ts chewed a perfectly rabbit size hole through it. They are so not-terrified of humans that I can pretty much walk up to them and yell at them before they run away.

So, uh, get a metal mesh fence if you do have a rabbit problem at any point. Do not trust packaging that say "Rabbit resistant!!!" on (what I thought was) plastic coated metal mesh (was just plastic). Or maybe we have mutant bunnies. *shrug*
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitinboots View Post
    I've been working on getting more of the garden set up recently. I like hardy perennials, particularly native plants, because I'm horrid at remembering to water plants. Let alone those that need deadheading or other care. I'm trying to establish some lungwort (a bit finicky but so pretty). Mostly though it's hostas, geraniums, astrilble, and the like. There are way too many deer, bunnies, and squirrels for me to want to try vegetables. However, I do grow rosemary and lavender in a bed and a couple of other herbs in pots on the deck (where they are less likely to be eaten).
    You two, with the animal issues...I think I may have a solution. Have you considered using bloodmeal?

The easiest way to make rabbits not want to be anywhere near your garden is to convince them it’s not safe. Bloodmeal is exactly what it says on the tin. Adding some of it is good for your plants anyway (it’s excellent fertiliser, especially for plants that need a lot of nitrogen) and it makes the whole place seem like a deathtrap. No rabbit with the sense God gave a cabbage is going to be happy wandering into a garden that reeks (to his nose, anyway) of blood.

I’m not sure how well it would work on bigger things like deer (it’s usually made from cattle blood, so it might?) but it works on rabbits and it should work on squirrels.
    If I cannot move heaven, I will raise hell
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Matchbox View Post
    I’m truly, sincerely surprised you haven’t carpeted your entire garden in catnip. Were I in your place, I don’t think I’d be able to resist seeing the entire population of cats stoned off their collective ass.

You two, with the animal issues...I think I may have a solution. Have you considered using bloodmeal?

The easiest way to make rabbits not want to be anywhere near your garden is to convince them it’s not safe. Bloodmeal is exactly what it says on the tin. Adding some of it is good for your plants anyway (it’s excellent fertiliser, especially for plants that need a lot of nitrogen) and it makes the whole place seem like a deathtrap. No rabbit with the sense God gave a cabbage is going to be happy wandering into a garden that reeks (to his nose, anyway) of blood.

I’m not sure how well it would work on bigger things like deer (it’s usually made from cattle blood, so it might?) but it works on rabbits and it should work on squirrels.

Would it freak out the resident feral cats too? Or would it attract them? Right now they are fascinated with our bird feeders, and I'm hesitant to give them another reason to hang out on our fence/in our yard/on our porch.
  5. "...now do Classical Gas"
    Would it freak out the resident feral cats too? Or would it attract them? Right now they are fascinated with our bird feeders, and I'm hesitant to give them another reason to hang out on our fence/in our yard/on our porch.
    None of the local cats near me will go near it. I think they think something must have died.

I’m not going to say that no cat will ever be drawn to it, because some cats are just weird, but the cats in my local area seem not to like it.
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    I have a couple of tomatoes; but, I'm letting mom do the gardening for us. She needs something to do. Most years I just do tomatoes, peppers, mint, basil, and if I can get them to grow, strawberries.
    "Obstinacy is a fault of temperament. Stubbornness and Intolerance of contradiction result from a special kind of Egotism, which elevates above everything else the pleasure of its own autonomous intellect, to which others must bow.: Carl von Clausewitz
  7. Senior Member
    None of the local cats near me will go near it. I think they think something must have died.

I’m not going to say that no cat will ever be drawn to it, because some cats are just weird, but the cats in my local area seem not to like it.
    I'm sold, lol. I'll see if Lowe's carries some this weekend. We love our possum friend that occasionally bumbles into our yard, but really, really, REALLY do not appreciate the absurd amount of feral cats (thanks, neighbor who feeds them) and the rabbits.
  8. "...now do Classical Gas"
    I'm sold, lol. I'll see if Lowe's carries some this weekend. We love our possum friend that occasionally bumbles into our yard, but really, really, REALLY do not appreciate the absurd amount of feral cats (thanks, neighbor who feeds them) and the rabbits.
    Your possum friend is much nicer than my possum friend. Mine wreaks havoc on my fruit trees, and has outrageously loud sex in the roof.
  9. Regular Member

Interesting. Do you know if that is ok for dogs? Ours is a digger and while I try to keep her out of gardens... it's not guaranteed. Normally she seems to head towards the smell of dead things? (You'd think the dog would dissuade rabbits, but a mamma bunny built a burrow near one of the dogs favorite spots by the deck... it was not ideal).
  10. I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    How do you guys feel about raised planter boxes?

life's a party, rock your body
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast