Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: At What Age?

1. Senior Member
    Advertisements
    OK this helps me...I'll stick to my initial thought and tell them the truth...thank you
  2. I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    Quote Originally Posted by AMP1984 View Post
    So...full disclosure...I had to put him down because he bit someone it had nothing to do with old age...that I would 100% explain to the kids.
    I am kind of curious to hear more about this if you don't mind sharing?

life's a party, rock your body
  3. Moderator

I believe honesty is the best policy. My children have had two dogs pass away, in their lifetimes. Itís devestating but they deserve to know the truth. The going to the farm lie just spirals into more lies when they ask for updates, pictures, etc.
  4. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    My initial reaction was "lying is not a good way to build a relationship" but...as always your specific scenario makes it harder.
    However, how would you explain the dogs disappearance otherwise?

I would tell them, though you might want to avoid the WHOLE truth.
    Start with that he passed away. If they insist on more details, you can explain that he was sick, and had to be put to sleep. Mostly true, and if the dog bit someone, you could consider that to be a sickness. For this purpose.

Or show them the movie Old Yelled. Then ask them if they were stillooking curious about where there dog went. But I would be a bad, bad, parent.
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rayfinkle View Post
    I am kind of curious to hear more about this if you don't mind sharing?
    Yeah do your kids know about this incident already? I’d tell them the truth and use it to teach them to be careful around strange dogs.
  6. One does not simply Ewok into Endor
    One does not simply Ewok into Endor

Our dog was murdered by a friendís dog recently. It never occurred to me to tell my kids anything other than the truth. Theyíre 6 and 8.

<3 Anthiea <3 KittenMittens <3
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Always the truth. Just age appropriate.
    "Obstinacy is a fault of temperament. Stubbornness and Intolerance of contradiction result from a special kind of Egotism, which elevates above everything else the pleasure of its own autonomous intellect, to which others must bow.: Carl von Clausewitz
  8. "...now do Classical Gas"
    "...now do Classical Gas"
    We haven’t had to do this yet, but when Des dies I’ll tell my kids the truth. They love him. They deserve a chance to honestly mourn him when the day comes.

If (God forbid) it was one of their grandparents, no one would even consider a lie. Why lie over a dog, if lying over a person is unthinkable?
    If I cannot move heaven, I will raise hell
  9. Moderator

I've spoken openly of death to my children at all ages. Animals, people, bugs, plants, whatever. It's part of life, and doesn't need a euphemism. Even in this specific circumstance, I personally would still explain exactly what happened.
  10. I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    At what age do you tell kids their pet has passed away vs they went to live on a farm?

One of our dogs passed away today and I was going to tell my kids the truth but then both my mother and DB thought they might be too little (5 and 10) to really get it and that it might be better to tell them he's at a farm? My mom said her parents did that when she and my uncles were younger and it was easier for them to think of their dog Chipper as off playing on a farm rather than knowing he was dead...DB said the decision is 100% mine and he'll back whatever I decide but he thought especially my youngest (who is VERY connected to the dog) may not take it well and it might be easier to just say he's on a farm and take my mom's advice...

Does anyone have thoughts on this?
    OK this helps me...I'll stick to my initial thought and tell them the truth...thank you
    How did your kids handle the news?

life's a party, rock your body
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast