Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Breaking a lease

1. we were all rooting for you
    we were all rooting for you

Breaking a lease

Advertisements
    So, I'm making a lateral move at work which is really exciting!

The only thing that stinks is I'm going to have to figure out my lease situation. There's no clause for relocating due to work and/or subletting. I've been in my current townhome for about 7 months, and my lease isn't up until this September. I need to move end of June/early July. My landlord is a super chill guy (easily the best landlord I've ever had) and I'd say we have a pretty good working relationship. Small world, he actually supports the non-profit I work at and knows some of my coworkers through a support group he runs.... but I'm still really terrified to speak with him about this, mostly because I feel as though I'm screwing him over, even though I'd be giving him plenty of notice if we spoke today.

The ideal situation would probably be him letting me out of the lease due to my relocation but I've never had to approach an individual with this! I've always just gone through an apartment complex and followed their rules. I'm totally willing to help find someone new to possibly sublease until September, and have no doubt he'll find someone. I was 4th in line to get the place last year.

Does anyone have any tips on how I can speak with him? Help me adult!
  2. Senior Member
    I would just be open with him and tell him what you told us. He would probably work with you if you tell him sooner than later.

on the move though
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Medic2Doula View Post
    I would just be open with him and tell him what you told us. He would probably work with you if you tell him sooner than later.

on the move though

You're moving because of a new job - that's a good reason! Let him know what the situation is with plenty of time and offer (only if you can lend the time) to help find a subletter/new tenant in whatever way works for you/him. If you have a good relationship with him and have been a great tenant, I can't imagine he'd be that upset - life happens without any regards to anyone's schedules 99% of the time, and he's a landlord. It's unlikely this will be the first time it's ever happened to him.
    I live dangerously - I drink whiskey while knitting.
  4. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    Congratulations on the job!! You must be so excited!

I once had to break a lease because I had a roommate move out and it kind of screwed me over. If you're open and honest with him (and this is for a killer reason!) I can only image he would be understanding. Offering to find a replacement or subletter is also perfect. It sounds like you have a good relationship with him!
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

What they said^^^

Congrats on the change!! Are you moving closer to your manz???
  6. we were all rooting for you
    we were all rooting for you
    Quote Originally Posted by Medic2Doula View Post

on the move though
    Quote Originally Posted by sassyspoonicus View Post

You're moving because of a new job - that's a good reason! Let him know what the situation is with plenty of time and offer (only if you can lend the time) to help find a subletter/new tenant in whatever way works for you/him. If you have a good relationship with him and have been a great tenant, I can't imagine he'd be that upset - life happens without any regards to anyone's schedules 99% of the time, and he's a landlord. It's unlikely this will be the first time it's ever happened to him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Christine8790 View Post
    Congratulations on the job!! You must be so excited!

I once had to break a lease because I had a roommate move out and it kind of screwed me over. If you're open and honest with him (and this is for a killer reason!) I can only image he would be understanding. Offering to find a replacement or subletter is also perfect. It sounds like you have a good relationship with him!
    Quote Originally Posted by Love7 View Post
    What they said^^^

Congrats on the change!! Are you moving closer to your manz???
    Thanks, everyone! I just got off the phone with him! I was so nervous, ugh. He was really disappointed but totally supportive and happy for me with the new job. We set a drop dead date of June 15th for me to find someone to move in, and he'll give me my deposit back! YAY! They wouldn't even be a subletter, it'd just be a new lease. So, anyone in the Cape Fear area of NC need a place to live, hit me up!!!

eta I'm not moving in with my manz but will be v close to him! same city!