Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Considering Deactivating Facebook

1. Regular Member

Considering Deactivating Facebook

Advertisements
    Has anyone deactivated their Facebook before? Did your account get restored the same way as it was when you came back?

I'm thinking of taking time off from it until I've completed school (about 1.5 years left). I don't actively post things, just browse/creep on my main time line. I honestly also have an unhealthy habit of looking at my boyfriend's page every so often, and then look at people's pages that he hangs out with. We're in a LDR and I trust him, but I'm kind of insecure about everything still.

Also, 3/4 of my "friends" list I haven't seen or talked to in person in several years. A lot of them appear successful, are married, engaged, have houses, or just have everything I don't (what a materialistic feel) so I'm thinking taking a break will help me focus on my life and maybe find a new set of friends instead of consuming time on social media where no one actually cares.

There's many issues I'm working on but I think Facebook has become unhealthy for me, and I'm honestly one of those people that only keep it for the status validation that my boyfriend is with someone. I'm trying to re-find myself and hope this will be the right direction...but am also afraid I'll feel even more lonely. I don't know.
  2. I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    Quote Originally Posted by LoveConquers View Post
    Has anyone deactivated their Facebook before? Did your account get restored the same way as it was when you came back?

I'm thinking of taking time off from it until I've completed school (about 1.5 years left). I don't actively post things, just browse/creep on my main time line. I honestly also have an unhealthy habit of looking at my boyfriend's page every so often, and then look at people's pages that he hangs out with. We're in a LDR and I trust him, but I'm kind of insecure about everything still.

Also, 3/4 of my "friends" list I haven't seen or talked to in person in several years. A lot of them appear successful, are married, engaged, have houses, or just have everything I don't (what a materialistic feel) so I'm thinking taking a break will help me focus on my life and maybe find a new set of friends instead of consuming time on social media where no one actually cares.

There's many issues I'm working on but I think Facebook has become unhealthy for me, and I'm honestly one of those people that only keep it for the status validation that my boyfriend is with someone. I'm trying to re-find myself and hope this will be the right direction...but am also afraid I'll feel even more lonely. I don't know.
    It seems like you know the answer! Step away. You will feel so much better.

life's a party, rock your body
  3. Regular Member
    Yeah, I just want everything to come back in a couple years if I choose to re-join.

I'm also afraid it'll make me feel lonelier for some reason. Maybe not. Guess only trying will tell.
  4. Senior Member
    I didn’t deactivate it, but I did delete the app from my phone because I had become too attached to it. It helped for a while. Then I had to do a fb live for our gender reveal and you can only do that through the app.
  5. Senior Member
    A while back I don't think I deactivated mine but I did log off for a year or two.

6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    I was having a similar issue with comparing my life to others and thought about deactivating. I find a lot of events and stuff on fb though, so I decided to unfollow all but my closest friends. It’s worked really well for me. It’s the best of both worlds.

I Eelizah
  7. Senior Member
    You can just not log in?

If you deactivate your account, which I did a while ago (ehhhh over six years ago) you do not disappear from the internet. I was told (so I'm not sure how true it is, but I'll tell you what I was told) that employers can search you and see pictures you are tagged in even after your account has been deactivated, and they will wonder what's up (not that I think someone would makea decision based on that?).
    Last edited by Medic2Doula; 04-22-2018 at 05:18 PM. Reason: Added more
  8. Senior Member
    The part that concerns me most is that you keep it only so your SOs facebook lists that he is in a relationship with you. Why do you feel the need to do that? If that's the only reason you have it then you probably will feel a lot happier without it and he can still list that he is taken.
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I deleted the app for a little over a month. A little New Years detox for me. I was bored without FB at first but then got very comfortable without it. I only got back on because I moved to a new state and that’s how I got to know the other spouses connected to DBs boat.
  10. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabrina22LE View Post
    The part that concerns me most is that you keep it only so your SOs facebook lists that he is in a relationship with you. Why do you feel the need to do that? If that's the only reason you have it then you probably will feel a lot happier without it and he can still list that he is taken.
    I agree! He can still keep his relationship status even if you log off. A little digital detox is always healthy.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast