Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Considering Deactivating Facebook

1. Regular Member
    Advertisements
    I'd delete mine if it wasn't connected to my Spotify and if my fraternity didn't do all its communication through Facebook. Also I totally relate to feeling like everyone has things that you don't. Facebook is the platform that I get imposter syndrome from. All my friends use Facebook like LinkedIn and are posting these amazing life updates (new job, perfect internship, study abroad programs, grad school acceptances, etc) and I feel like if I don't have these amazing opportunities like them, I've been wasting the last 3 years at college, I went to the wrong school, I'm not doing enough to reach my goals, etc. There's a lot of pressure on students already and sometimes Facebook makes it worse for me. I don't know what your Facebook feed looks like, but if these kinds of updates stress you out, that might be reason enough to delete your profile.

I agree with others about deleting the app if you don't want to get rid of your whole profile. If you do decide to delete, your SO's profile will still say "In a Relationship" !
  2. Senior Member
    I deactivated mine! I've done it before and you basically just log back in when you're ready. I'm similar in that I think I have an unhealthy relationship with it and can't just "not long on." But honestly it's easy and everything is stored.

You can also choose to permanently delete everything, which is completely deleting your account. I've never done this but I know people who have.
  3. Regular Member
    I'm not ready for deletion. Just a detox/deactivation. I've also considered deleting it from my phone that way I can't just look when bored or peeved. I'll have to wait to get home and go on a browser instead, which equals less time. I do find Facebook useful for posting pictures that I can save for later when I scrapbook. Otherwise I don't really stay in touch with many people.

I've been reading self-help books on Codependency (recommended by my therapist). And that's really helpful. I'm just a super insecure person who's learned to grow up with validation and needing to be right and doing the right thing as told, otherwise I was punished (emotionally and physically). Among other things, I've grown to need these things otherwise I feel wrong or like it's not true.

"You're not crazy, You're Codependent" if anyone is interested. I doubt many others have the same issue but it's really rooted into childhood experiences and finding a way to break out if it.
  4. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AshleyO View Post
    I was having a similar issue with comparing my life to others and thought about deactivating. I find a lot of events and stuff on fb though, so I decided to unfollow all but my closest friends. Itís worked really well for me. Itís the best of both worlds.
    I'll have to take this into consideration too. I mean in case someone eventually reaches out to me and wants to catch up, or if I do the same.
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AshleyO View Post
    I was having a similar issue with comparing my life to others and thought about deactivating. I find a lot of events and stuff on fb though, so I decided to unfollow all but my closest friends. Itís worked really well for me. Itís the best of both worlds.
    I also did this. Every now and then I go and purge a whole bunch of people. I also may have friended someone on Facebook, but I block them from my feed. That way Crazy Cousin-IL doesn't clog up my feed with her Drama Llama Train. Also did that with a ton of family members that I feel obligated to keep friended (because another series of Drama Llama Trains), but really don't want to see their constant political shenanigans. Otherwise, if I don't talk to the person on a regular basis, or wouldn't be happy for them to call/text me whenever....they're defriended on Facebook. I pissed off quite a few old college acquaintances with that (I went from nearly 300 people to right now about 70), but my feed is so much more positive and less emotionally harmful to me.
    I live dangerously - I drink whiskey while knitting.
  6. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LoveConquers View Post
    Has anyone deactivated their Facebook before? Did your account get restored the same way as it was when you came back?

I'm thinking of taking time off from it until I've completed school (about 1.5 years left). I don't actively post things, just browse/creep on my main time line. I honestly also have an unhealthy habit of looking at my boyfriend's page every so often, and then look at people's pages that he hangs out with. We're in a LDR and I trust him, but I'm kind of insecure about everything still.

Also, 3/4 of my "friends" list I haven't seen or talked to in person in several years. A lot of them appear successful, are married, engaged, have houses, or just have everything I don't (what a materialistic feel) so I'm thinking taking a break will help me focus on my life and maybe find a new set of friends instead of consuming time on social media where no one actually cares.

There's many issues I'm working on but I think Facebook has become unhealthy for me, and I'm honestly one of those people that only keep it for the status validation that my boyfriend is with someone. I'm trying to re-find myself and hope this will be the right direction...but am also afraid I'll feel even more lonely. I don't know.
    Deactivate & just use IG to keep in touch with online contacts.

I deactivated my page due to a stalking/harassment situation (it was messy, court hearings, all that stuff)ÖÖ.I didn't miss FB at all and only got back on to keep in touch with relatives overseas.

FB is so very useful for different things (online sales, groups for specific interests) but life without it can be nice too.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12