Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: At least now we know.

1. Senior Member

At least now we know.

Advertisements
    Well, our military family life has come to a screeching halt. Hubs got DQ'd for a couple completely out of the blue medical conditions for aviation, then blew out his shoulder. He's DOR'd and is coming back home.

I am so incredibly happy to have him (somewhat) on his way back home, and now I can be less freaked out reading the news....but I am sad for him that this is the end of this particular chapter for us.

Thank you to everyone here. There's a lot of good information and support that comes out of here, and that's pretty darn awesome.

I am going to go play with my birds, cry-laugh a little, and drink up the soda that I wasn't supposed to be drinking before Hubs gets back.

Plus now I have to return the Navy Wife t-shirts I got...and a couple Navy life books...and some small gifties I got to send to him in a week or so.....
    I live dangerously - I drink whiskey while knitting.
  2. Senior Member
  3. "...now do Classical Gas"
    "...now do Classical Gas"
    Damn. He must be devastated. Being a pilot is so competitive, and to be taken out of contention for something he can’t even help...

Are you okay? This is totally different to how you were planning things were going to go.

You can still stay, by the way.
    If I cannot move heaven, I will raise hell
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Matchbox View Post
    Damn. He must be devastated. Being a pilot is so competitive, and to be taken out of contention for something he can’t even help...

Are you okay? This is totally different to how you were planning things were going to go.

You can still stay, by the way.
    Honestly? He sounded almost relieved on the phone (his cell phone, which scared the hell out of me). I know he's pretty disappointed, but at least it's something we tried, and it wasn't that he failed necessarily - we had no idea about the random background med issues. It's not anywhere in his records, and it's nothing he did. At least it was halted that way and not something he failed at. We can go on with our lives knowing he tried, and it's a closed chapter. We don't have to wonder at 'well what if we had?' (I think too Hubs couldn't get away from feeling like this was a selfish decision on his part, which is dumb, because it wasn't, but it grated on him all the same.)

I'm a bag of mixed emotions. I just got somewhat used to being alone, and started being okay with being a ~military wife~, got a couple parakeets to keep me company, spoke it over with new BossMan to discuss future options, internalized that my career would always be in flux....and now that all just isn't a thing, apart from the 'keets. It's been a roller coaster.

And I swear to God, if his mother makes the same kind of dumbass, selfish, excessively inappropriate remarks to Hubs as she did to his sister when SIL miscarried at 26 weeks.....Sassy gonna slap a betch. This has been a good experience in that I now know that I cannot give any real information to MIL and shouldn't look to her for support for much of anything.
    Last edited by sassyspoonicus; 04-20-2018 at 09:49 AM. Reason: Can't write good
  5. Dancing Backwards in High Heels
    Dancing Backwards in High Heels
    While the military might not be an option, he could look into private contracting if that's something he really wants to do. From what I've heard, conditions for the private guys is often way better than military!

again. Sorry everything got tossed up in the air again.
  6. Senior Member
    Sorry this happened! DB was dropped from flight school (two years in) and I remember feeling the same way. I had gotten used to and acceptable that my career would always take a backseat and even looking forward to a new adventure, and then everything was shaken up, it took a while for DB to adjust and figure out his next move. Plus his contract was converted to ground and he still owed time which was like the "icing on the cake" to the pain at the time. If your DH hadn't of tried he would have always wondered. And it was SO out of his control. PM me if you want to talk.
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HisJuliet View Post
    While the military might not be an option, he could look into private contracting if that's something he really wants to do. From what I've heard, conditions for the private guys is often way better than military!

again. Sorry everything got tossed up in the air again.
    I'm hoping he does look into private contracting. He's a design engineer, so I can't imagine it'd really be that difficult to find something in aerospace engineering that has military connections. I think he'd love it more than he thinks.
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PaUSMC View Post
    Sorry this happened! DB was dropped from flight school (two years in) and I remember feeling the same way. I had gotten used to and acceptable that my career would always take a backseat and even looking forward to a new adventure, and then everything was shaken up, it took a while for DB to adjust and figure out his next move. Plus his contract was converted to ground and he still owed time which was like the "icing on the cake" to the pain at the time. If your DH hadn't of tried he would have always wondered. And it was SO out of his control. PM me if you want to talk.
    Hubs keeps saying he'll just go back to his old job (that he disliked quite a bit...). I'd rather him take some time off to adjust and think about what he wants to do next. We don't need his salary (which, tbh, is a weird place for him to be in - he's always been primary breadwinner before by a significant amount). He's only been in a week and a half...but we've been planning on this for almost a year at this point. I keep telling him it's okay to grieve a little bit that it's done and over.
  9. Senior Member
    Now Hubs is considering going back to school and getting a degree in forestry to do environmental engineering - WAY better idea than just going and moping at his old job!

Not sure how well forestry will go in Northern Indiana, but we'll see.
  10. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Stick around! I haven't been a milso in years but I still pop in and out
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast