Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Ranger school gift?

1. Regular Member

Ranger school gift?

Advertisements
    Hey y'all! It's been a few weeks since I've popped in here. Hope everyone's been doing well

I'm going to try to keep my usual rambling to a minimum, lol. I've been thinking about getting DB a watch for a while. He didn't wear one when we met and lost the one he wore over his deployment, but he's about to go to ranger school. I'm thinking now might be a good time to get him one because it'll be useful during ranger school (I've noticed he likes the more practical/useful gifts I've given him). I found a model in my price range that seems tough enough to withstand whatever they're going to be doing. I was planning on giving it to him this weekend, along with three letters that he can read at the end of each phase.

But after some overthinking/input from my friends, I'm wondering if it'll be better to give it to him as a ranger school graduation gift. A watch definitely feels more like a graduation gift than a going away present, and it still will retain some of the practicality that makes it a good pre-ranger present. But I also feel like I can definitely find something nice to give him after he graduates that he can use more in his every day life. Like, part of the appeal of a watch as a pre-ranger gift is that it's something he can actually take with him and use, whereas when he graduates I can get him something he likes that he can keep in his room, wear with his civvies, etc. The other thought I had was to buy him a cheapo watch for the going away gift and upgrade him to the nice watch as a grad gift. The one I wear is $10 and is recommended a lot as a watch for basic, but I'm worried it won't make it through ranger school so if I'm going to gift him a watch, it might as well be a sturdier one?

This is such a stupid problem to have lol, I just wanted input from other milsos who have a better idea of what Army schools/trainings entail. I definitely don't have to give him anything now, I just thought it'd be nice to. Any thoughts are appreciated!
  2. Senior Member
    I'd do it for graduation. I know it's not pleasant to think about, but I believe the graduation rates are fairly low. If the watch is tied to starting school, will it have a negative association if he doesn't finish? That would be one of my concerns, along with it getting pretty beat up if he's wearing it during training.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  3. Senior Member
    I will agree with villanelle....My husband went through a really tough program and while its not common to see people fail or get kicked out it does happen....we saw people in the class behind him get kicked out. So I would wait till the end.
  4. "...now do Classical Gas"
    "...now do Classical Gas"
    I’m with the others.

Save the gift until he graduates. This sounds like a school with a fairly high fail rate, so there’s a possibility he either doesn’t make it or takes longer than he thought. The gift works better as a reward for something already achieved.

In any case, any gift you give him to take on course with him is likely to have the utter shit kicked out of it!
    If I cannot move heaven, I will raise hell
  5. Regular Member
    Yeah I didn't even think about the "what if he fails" thing, because I know he's going to recycle until he finishes, but if it takes way longer than he thought it would be better as a reward!

I would hope that since it's a tactical watch even if it got beat up it wouldn't ruin it, but who knows. Thanks for all the input!