Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old and Out of Shape

1. Senior Member

Old and Out of Shape

Advertisements
    Y'all I thought I was in shape, I exercise on my elliptical, I'm active with my kids but I posted about how I recently started horseback riding...well last week we were asked to trot without stirrups and I COULDN'T GET MY BEHIND OUT OF THE SADDLE. Like literally CANNOT. I thought I did squats and had leg muscles...I think back to the times when I used to jump courses in two point without stirrups and now I physically cannot get my bum out of the saddle. Kind of depressing. And such a reality check. I am kicking up the work outs. I've even tried on the exercise ball and I cannot do it...sad. I had no idea I was that out of shape lol but I'm determined to be able to do it so kicking up the work outs! (no real point to this post just thought it was a little hilarious how out of shape I am)
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    You use different muscles and need to look at them. Try snowshoeing. That will work about the same muscles.
    "Obstinacy is a fault of temperament. Stubbornness and Intolerance of contradiction result from a special kind of Egotism, which elevates above everything else the pleasure of its own autonomous intellect, to which others must bow.: Carl von Clausewitz
  3. Moderator

Iím in the same state as far as lack in my horse riding abilities. It takes me a couple of tries to get into the saddle since I donít use a step to get on the horse.

I had shoulder surgery a month ago so no riding for awhile. I dread starting all over again. Iím so out of shape.
  4. "...now do Classical Gas"
    "...now do Classical Gas"
    Quote Originally Posted by DakotaCowgirl View Post
    You use different muscles and need to look at them. Try snowshoeing. That will work about the same muscles.
    She speaks truth.

You need more strength in your core, something to keep your body held stable and balanced as the horse moves beneath you. Itís a different set of exercises.
    If I cannot move heaven, I will raise hell
  5. Senior Member
    Aren't you in your early 30s?
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CDNTrish View Post
    Aren't you in your early 30s?
    YES!!! I have NEVER felt so old/out of shape as when I couldn't get my bum out of the saddle without stirrups...I used to teach this stuff, I could get my bum out of the saddle (posting, two point whatever) like it was nothing...I literally couldn't do it...I felt so old/out of shape...
  7. Senior Member
    Dude, I used to be super active in college. Belly dancing, regular exercise group, regular running.....still got my butt whooped in the saddle when I could only get out every so often. Just a different muscle group! I envy the teenage girls that ride at the barn where I'm at. It's like nothing fazes them and ain't nothing to hop on any ol' horse and go out for 6 hour adventures. I'm like....okay, but I have no desire to end up in that mud puddle. I am going to stay on my own horse, that I know pretty darn well, and why yes I own a cushy tush pad, thinking about ordering those stirrup twister thingies so my knees stop hurting, stupid easy clean synthetic saddle that doesn't loosen up.
    I live dangerously - I drink whiskey while knitting.
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sassyspoonicus View Post
    Dude, I used to be super active in college. Belly dancing, regular exercise group, regular running.....still got my butt whooped in the saddle when I could only get out every so often. Just a different muscle group! I envy the teenage girls that ride at the barn where I'm at. It's like nothing fazes them and ain't nothing to hop on any ol' horse and go out for 6 hour adventures. I'm like....okay, but I have no desire to end up in that mud puddle. I am going to stay on my own horse, that I know pretty darn well, and why yes I own a cushy tush pad, thinking about ordering those stirrup twister thingies so my knees stop hurting, stupid easy clean synthetic saddle that doesn't loosen up.
    I had a wintech and highly recommend
  9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Medic2Doula View Post
    I had a wintech and highly recommend
    My saddle's a wintech. Love it to pieces, but for some reason I can't get the stirrups to keep their twist, even with forcing it.
    I live dangerously - I drink whiskey while knitting.
  10. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Matchbox View Post
    She speaks truth.

You need more strength in your core, something to keep your body held stable and balanced as the horse moves beneath you. It’s a different set of exercises.
    ^This 100%. Simply increasing your workout regiment won't do you any good if you aren't working out the right parts of your body. I've been working off of this free set of core exercises Beachbody posted on their blog: https://www.beachbodyondemand.com/bl...hbody-programs

Maybe you can get some use out them too!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast