Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TriCare Question

1. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    95.1%

TriCare Question

Advertisements
    I know when deployed/active duty/reserves etc military members get Tricare - what happens when they retire? My understanding with what DB has said is you can opt to purchase health insurance still, does anyone know how much it would cost for someone to stay on Tricare after they retire? Does it matter how much time you spent active duty (like how GI benefits work) or is it a set amount depending on if it's just you, you and dependents or location?
  2. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    Lv. Percent
    22.83%
    Not sure about retirees but you cannot get Tricare unless you actually retire, not just separate from service, so you would have to meet the minimum years for retirement (usually 20).
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  3. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    52.07%
    When you retire from active duty you are eligible to purchase TRICARE Prime, Select, or the US Family Health Plan. Once you reach age 65 you are no longer eligible for those programs, you can then purchase Medicare and TRICARE for Life.

If you retire from the National Guard or Reserves you can purchase TRICARE Retired Reserve until age 60. At that time you can purchase either TRICARE Prime, Standard, or Extra. At age 65 you are no longer eligible for those programs, you can then purchase Medicare and TRICARE for Life

TRICARE Health PlansTRICARE Prime*- Retirees and their families can purchase TRICARE Prime Coverage. Unlike active duty members, they have to pay an annual enrollment fee and copays for treatment*See our TRICARE Prime Coverage Details for more information.

TRICARE Select*- Retirees and their families can purchase TRICARE Select Coverage. All retirees have to pay a deductible amount of $150 per individual (no more than $300 per family).*See our TRICARE Select*Overview pages for more information.US Family Health Plan*- Retirees and their families can purchase coverage under the US Family Health Plan. Unlike active duty members, they have to pay an annual enrollment fee and copays for treatment

TRICARE Retired Reserve*- Retired Guard or Reservists and their family members can purchase TRICARE Retired Reserve until they reach age 60, there is an enrollment fee, and copays for treatment.

TRICARE For Life*- *Retirees over age 65 can purchase TRICARE for Life. For those living in the US, TRICARE For Life is a Medicare supplement. Medicare does not provide coverage outside the United States or U.S. territories . Therefore, TRICARE For Life is your primary payer for health care received in all other overseas locations.

MEDICARE*- Medicare is Health Insurance for people 65 years of age and older, some people with disabilities under age 65, and people with End-Stage Renal Disease (permanent kidney failure requiring dialysis or a transplant).Dental Benefits

TRICARE Retiree Dental Program*- The TRICARE Retiree Dental Program is a voluntary dental benefits program with enrollee-paid premiums. It*is available worldwide to Uniformed Service retirees and their family members.

Pharmacy BenefitsTRICARE Pharmacy Program*- The TRICARE Pharmacy Program provides the*prescription drugs*you need, when you need them, in a safe, easy, and cost-effective manner.TRICARE Maintenance Medications Program*- All persons taking select maintenance medications must receive refills via TRICARE Pharmacy Home Delivery or use a military pharmacy instead of using retail pharmacies.

Vision BenefitsTRICARE Vision Benefits*- Some TRICARE programs offer free or reduced price eye examinations and corrective lenses. *
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mil...irees.html/amp

https://tricare.mil/Plans/HealthPlans/TRR

4. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    95.1%
    Quote Originally Posted by rocket_lizz View Post
    Not sure about retirees but you cannot get Tricare unless you actually retire, not just separate from service, so you would have to meet the minimum years for retirement (usually 20).
    Yes DB will have over 20 years in when he retires, he joined the Navy at 18. He thinks it'll be too expensive to keep it but I think it may be worth it even if it is expensive...the other insurance out there is pretty crappy. I was just trying to gather some more facts about how much it does cost etc.
  5. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    95.1%
    That's perfect! Thank you so much for the link that's what I was looking for - I tried to find the costs when I was on the site but I couldn't get to where that took me, thank you!
  6. Regular Member
    Lv. Percent
    99.51%
    My dad did 20 years active duty so I'm not sure what is different for your boyfriend in his case as far as costs and access to plans would be. However for us retired Tricare has been a lifesaver. My brothers are both disabled so It's more affordable for us and covers more than anything we could buy on the market. When I got booted off Tricare young adult I was paying around 150 monthly. Now keep in mind that was a few years ago at least so I am sure prices have risen some. The civilian plan I went to from there went from 275ish monthly to 520 before I got married. And that was a single person HMO type plan since I was already accustomed to Tricare prime demanding a referral for everything. Family prices will be different than single obviously but to us it's been great. I would definitely at least look into it and do some comparison shopping and see if the coverage would work for you and your family
  7. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    Lv. Percent
    24.87%
    We are on Tricare Retired Prime, we pay $48 per month for a family of 4. It will be cheaper than any insurance from what I've seen.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  8. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    95.1%
    Quote Originally Posted by TrishAFSpouse View Post
    We are on Tricare Retired Prime, we pay $48 per month for a family of 4. It will be cheaper than any insurance from what I've seen.
    That's what I was thinking too, he'll retire from the Navy but still work a regular job and he was thinking about just taking whatever employer insurance there was but I was thinking even if that's less a month for premium my guess (and it is just a guess) but my guess would be the coverage with Tricare would be better.

This is all just hypothetical and a year or 2 down the road but DB and I were talking about it the other day and I was thinking he was crazy to consider taking any other insurance because it would likely be the best out there...
  9. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    5.6%
    If to have the choice, do tricare!!! It would have taken my whole pay check to get insurance for our family and it would have had killer copays.
  10. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    92.87%
    Tricare Retiree's is a great plan and VERY affordable still compared to most health insurance plans out there. We'll stick with Select/Standard I'm sure because I don't foresee me ever having the patience for Prime, but even that's a great deal considering even Prime has co-shares anyways on Retired. Plus a lot of work places will give you other benefits if you choose not to use their health insurance.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast