Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Orders

1. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    8.56%
    Advertisements
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilovemysailor16 View Post
    My husband found out his orders today and they were not what we were expecting. They are sending him out of the country. I am heartbroken. We had discussed where we wanted to go next and its always been within the US. When he filled out his slate sheet they were all within the US. Do they not take this into account? The excuse he got was that they need someone with his experience in that position. I am turning 30 and we had talked about having kids, I'm finishing school, i have an old dog that would not make a 13 hour plane ride.... I'm just all over the place with this. I know at the end of the day it is the military and its what he is signed up for..its understandable, but why not send people who want to go there.
    This is extremely common. Yes, they do take the "dream sheets" in to account, but if they need a guy in Japan with certain qualifications and no one wants to go, someone has to get picked. It's not that they don't care. When they can, the "listen" to the dream sheet. But there are so very many factors that go into these things--far more than most of us are aware--that is isn't as simple as "lets send everyone where they want to go".

I've been in your shoes, twice, and it is really touch. But you can definitely still have kids overseas. And while the life overseas can be challenging, there are lots of advantages and rewards to be had if you decide to be open to them and seek them out.

Spain is at the top of my dream sheet. I won't be one of those people that tells you how awesome it is though, because people did that to me about Japan and it pissed me off. I was told the whole "kicking and screaming to do, and kicking and screaming to stay" thing, but that wasn't the case. I was very ready to leave (the first time). I got a lot out of it and experienced wonderful things, but it wasn't a great fit for my personality and the things I valued at that time. It's okay not to love a place. It's even okay not to love it after you've been there. Hopefully, whether you like it or not after you are settled in, you can get a lot out of your time there.

Or, if you want, you can consider not going. That's always an option as well. Make sure you really think it through and also consider the finances, but if you are dead set against going, you can make it work.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  2. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    97.24%
    It's pretty common to get the opposite of what you wanted. We were trying to get back to the west coast and are goig east coast. The military puts them where they need them, it's easiest to just go with the flow.

Now that it's happened you might as well make the best of it. We would LOVE to go to Spain. We tried and 400 people had already applied for one position. Even if you don't move with him you can go visit and see Europe, flying into Spain isn't too expensive! Spain is beautiful and there is so much to do and see. Traveling across Europe is cheap so you could take weekend trips all over. A lot of new experiences!
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Lv. Percent
    10.87%

Needs of the military with slight consideration of your dream sheet. Unfortunately as you get more experience it seems to be that you get sent places you might not want or expect because it's necessary, where as the new MM can start out so many more places. Spain would be an amazing opportunity, IMO. Have you spoken to your vet about your dog potentially making that plane ride?
  4. Regular Member
    Lv. Percent
    1.15%

Dog

I haven't yet. She has stage 6 heart murmur and shakes in the car or anywhere outside of my house so I don't see it going well. My mom can keep her and thats the plan. We still have a while because he is currently deployed, then he has to go to a school for a few months and then he goes..It will probably be mid next year.
  5. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    19.02%
    I haven't yet. She has stage 6 heart murmur and shakes in the car or anywhere outside of my house so I don't see it going well. My mom can keep her and thats the plan. We still have a while because he is currently deployed, then he has to go to a school for a few months and then he goes..It will probably be mid next year.
    With that kind of schedule things can change too. I had friends who were supposed to go to Japan and now San diego....so you just never know. I mean my husband had orders to stay in Jax and we ended up in pax.
  6. I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    Lv. Percent
    86.34%
    Oh wow, over a year away? I definitely wouldn't be stressing about this now!

life's a party, rock your body
  7. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    8.56%
    So he has verbals, not written orders or a letter of intent yet?

You have a while, but you you have any medical conditions, you *NEED* to get enrolled in the EFMP immediately. If you are enrolled and in a category ROTA doesn't take, they most likely won't issue him those orders. If you wait until the overseas screen and the it comes up, they will try to rearrange things, but at that late point it isn't always possible. Technically, EFMP is not optional and you are always supposed to be enrolled if you have a qualifying condition. So, if you have any chronic or significant health issue, contact your base EFM coordinator and get started.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  8. Regular Member
    Lv. Percent
    1.15%
    He just has verbals right now. He's currently deployed, but his captain told him. I don't know if he got some type of email or not? but he did speak with the detailer and got a long explanation...We really hope it gets changed, but aren't counting on it. He told me at first he wouldn't be going until next year and now its later this year...before Christmas. He won't be on a ship, so no deployments are good, but he will be staff and they are moving from Naples to Spain? I'm still learning all of this. I do not have any medical issues. The only medication I take is BC. My dog has medical issues, but she will be staying with my parents. I don't want her heart to be put under any more stress than its already under.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12