Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Homeowners!

1. Senior Member
    Advertisements
    Quote Originally Posted by rayfinkle View Post
    Welp, we had our popcorn ceiling tested and it came back positive for asbestos.

Has anyone dealt with this before?
    Have not personally death with asbestos in ceiling popcorn, but we removed it from an old furnace unit. And I work for a company that does hazardous material removal for commercial/industry. If the ceiling is in good shape (i.e. no damage, pieces falling off, cracks) you are likely okay to leave in-place. The problem with asbestos is when it is disturbed and air-borne. If you are going to complete any home renovations that affect the integrity of the ceiling you should hire an abatement company to remove and dispose of properly. Also, if you don't remove it, disclose when you sell.
  2. I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    Quote Originally Posted by PaUSMC View Post
    Have not personally death with asbestos in ceiling popcorn, but we removed it from an old furnace unit. And I work for a company that does hazardous material removal for commercial/industry. If the ceiling is in good shape (i.e. no damage, pieces falling off, cracks) you are likely okay to leave in-place. The problem with asbestos is when it is disturbed and air-borne. If you are going to complete any home renovations that affect the integrity of the ceiling you should hire an abatement company to remove and dispose of properly. Also, if you don't remove it, disclose when you sell.
    Ah, I should have added... We WANT to remove the popcorn ceiling. That's why we got it tested. That was going to be the first thing we did!
    We have read and heard it's better to have a professional do it and we are bummed because it isn't cheap! I wonder if our homeowners insurance would cover it?

life's a party, rock your body
  3. Senior Member
    Ah, I should have added... We WANT to remove the popcorn ceiling That's why we got it tested. That was going to be the first thing we did!
    We have read and heard it's better to have a professional do it and wee are bummed because it isn't cheap! I wonder if our homeowners insurance would cover it?
    Oh yea, that is an important detail. If it was a limited area that was easy to control (like the furnace unit we did) I would do it yourself. But a ceiling, there is no way I would do that myself (and I have the respirator and suit from work). I would definitely have a professional company do it and it will be costly. But when its a matter of your health it is worth having it done right. I have no idea if your insurance would cover it, but it is worth a phone call. There may be some innocent purchaser clause if it wasn't disclosed when you purchased the home. But then again a home of a certain age can pretty much be assumed to have asbestos somewhere and lead-based paint.
  4. La vie boheme
    La vie boheme

Ah, I should have added... We WANT to remove the popcorn ceiling. That's why we got it tested. That was going to be the first thing we did!
    We have read and heard it's better to have a professional do it and we are bummed because it isn't cheap! I wonder if our homeowners insurance would cover it?
    It doesn't hurt to ask. Most don't unless there is damage due to a storm impacting the ceiling. They say that it's fine as long as it's left dormant and not disturbed. HOWEVER, some policies will help cover it but will have it worded as a contaminant or toxin instead of asbestos.

Let us not love with words or speech but with actions and in truth. - 1 John 3:18
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123