Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Christmas Baking

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Lv. Percent
    41.66%

Christmas Baking

Advertisements
    Does anyone really NOT doing baking for Christmas?!?!? Am I the only one? I just don't enjoy doing it. I'll do caramel corn, puppy chow; but, that is about it.

If you do, what are you Christmas traditions?
    "Obstinacy is a fault of temperament. Stubbornness and Intolerance of contradiction result from a special kind of Egotism, which elevates above everything else the pleasure of its own autonomous intellect, to which others must bow.: Carl von Clausewitz
  2. Plays with knives
    Plays with knives
    Lv. Percent
    2.47%
    I do make candy (I cook nuts in vanilla and sugar, I make honeycomb toffee...little things) but there’s not a lot of baking. Even so, there are often food gifts I have to make - my family insists and has always insisted that at least one gift per person has to be made rather than bought. Cooking is the only thing I know how to get right, so the gifts I make are usually food. Think smoked fish (trout or salmon usually), home-cured bacon, jam or chutney, mysterious pickled things, salt cured lemons. Bottles of limoncello.

One thing I HAVE to do (I started this weeks ago) is brewing pineapple cider. As in alcohol. This is not negotiable, and may be the entire reason my parents ever bought me a homebrew kit.
    Accensum qui pedicat urit mentulam.
  3. Regular Member
    Lv. Percent
    77.93%
    My mom makes a couple of bake free cookies. DH and I always end up eating the whole tray

But when we spend the holidays alone we don't do much cooking/baking. We are both too lazy!!
  4. Regular Member
    Lv. Percent
    87.88%
    I LOVE Christmas baking! Gingerbread, shortbread, sugar cookies, molasses cookies! I am so excited for Christmas cookies, the kids and I were just talking about that yesterday!! They want to help decorate them and were asking if they can get gumdrops for the gingerbread men. OF COURSE lol our kitchen is going to be turning into a cookie workshop
  5. Personally victimized by Regina George
    Personally victimized by Regina George
    Lv. Percent
    68.47%
    I've never made Christmas cookies in my life I have made a gingerbread house before, if that counts? We used to have a Christmas roast every year until my parents divorce, now my mum makes it if I go home to see her for the holiday.

I'll be headed to our HQ office next week and they apparently have a holiday tradition that the outposted workers don't get to participate in, called Dough Day. Rumor has it that everyone brings in a tub of their favorite holiday cookie dough and everyone gorges on the dough and bakes cookies all day, then does no work for the rest of the day because they're in a sugar coma. So this year I guess I'll bake my first Christmas goodies!
  6. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    93.42%
    I usually bake something for dessert for either Christmas Eve or Christmas but other than that not much. Sometimes cookies or brownies, but this year my little brother has requested cheesecake so I’ll probably make two of those.
  7. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    60.23%
    I don't really enjoy sweets much, so I do Christmas baking more as a comfort. It was always a tradition to bake with my family and I enjoy making things to give away. DH has a major sweet tooth, so I was planning to set a batch aside for him, but we just got a Christmas care package from home full of cookies and fudge, so it looks like I'll just be making a few things for friends and neighbors.

Quote Originally Posted by Matchbox View Post
    I do make candy (I cook nuts in vanilla and sugar, I make honeycomb toffee...little things) but there’s not a lot of baking. Even so, there are often food gifts I have to make - my family insists and has always insisted that at least one gift per person has to be made rather than bought. Cooking is the only thing I know how to get right, so the gifts I make are usually food. Think smoked fish (trout or salmon usually), home-cured bacon, jam or chutney, mysterious pickled things, salt cured lemons. Bottles of limoncello.

One thing I HAVE to do (I started this weeks ago) is brewing pineapple cider. As in alcohol. This is not negotiable, and may be the entire reason my parents ever bought me a homebrew kit.
    Jealous of your friends and family receiving smoked salmon, it's my favorite.
  8. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    15.47%
    I make sugar cookies. I found an amazing recipe a couple years back and I look forward to it every year. I did make gingerbread one year when I was making cookies for Dh's church, but I don't actually like gingerbread so I don't usually make it. I also make these little kiss pretzel things, it's just a square pretzel with a Hershey's hug on top, melted in the oven for 2 minutes and then an m&m pushed into it. Chilled in the fridge. They're really addicting. Sometimes I'll make puppy chow but that's really messy.

9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Lv. Percent
    50.19%

I don't do it usually haha. this year I think I'm going to attempt real cinnamon buns...I usually buy the can for Christmas breakfast but I would like to start a tradition of making them homemade assuming I don't want to kill myself doing it this year haha

10. Plays with knives
    Plays with knives
    Lv. Percent
    2.47%
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabrina22LE View Post
    I don't really enjoy sweets much, so I do Christmas baking more as a comfort. It was always a tradition to bake with my family and I enjoy making things to give away. DH has a major sweet tooth, so I was planning to set a batch aside for him, but we just got a Christmas care package from home full of cookies and fudge, so it looks like I'll just be making a few things for friends and neighbors.

Jealous of your friends and family receiving smoked salmon, it's my favorite.
    Most of the smoked salmon you buy in the supermarket would be cold smoked, which can be a little more difficult (it takes much longer, and the lower temperature means there's more risk of bacterial growth on the fish) but a quick hot-smoke like I do at home isn't particularly hard to get right. It sounds much more complex than it is. Remind me to show you how to rig up a little smoker from a pot on your stove so you can learn?

My sister tears through smoked trout like it's going out of style, so I don't get much say in the matter
    Accensum qui pedicat urit mentulam.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast