Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Christmas Holidays/Work

1. Regular Member
    Lv. Percent
    87.88%

Christmas Holidays/Work

Advertisements
    This is a vent about my work...I am frustrated...I DO love my job, I am paid well, I get to do something I enjoy and love. The downside is sometimes with it being such a small business everything is really up to the owner's discretion and there's nothing set in stone/guaranteed. I took issue with this over trying to take 2 weeks for DB's R&R in the end we met in the middle and I booked 1 week. Now it's Christmas break, we don't have guaranteed vacation so I told my boss my daycare is closed Friday Dec 22nd and Monday Dec 25th and asked if we would also get those days off. He said I will be working Friday December 22nd but can have the 25th and 26th off...

I don't even know what to do/say about that...I don't have any family in town that can watch my kids my entire family is in a different country, they said kids cannot come to the office, they have in the past asked me to hire a nanny so I can continue to come to work when my kids are sick and I have told them I cannot afford a private nanny they have to be OK with my missing work when my kids can't be in daycare/school - this was discussed before they hired me 3 years ago and at the time they had said "they totally understand and family comes first". I would pay a nanny more per hour than I make so that's not possible! (I make good money but I also get $1k a month deducted for health insurance that still has a $17k family deductible, unfortunately the one downside to not being married to DB is I have to deal with crappy health insurance)

The time off thing gets me EVERY time...I think I love my job, I am so lucky and then something like this happens and it makes me want to find something else...I cannot bring my kids to work, I have asked about that as well and been told no, which leaves me wondering what in the world they expect me to do?! In the past when I asked that they said "I don't care if you leave them home alone as long as you are here." Well that's almost like saying I don't care if CPS takes your kids...I get they don't have to work around daycare schedules but it would be sooooo nice if they would, or give me the option to take an unpaid day off or something...
  2. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    13.94%
    Maybe it’s time to start looking for a different job. I’m not sure what you’re supposed to do in this situation, but this is the second time in the past month or so you’ve complained about your job. If you’d be paying a nanny more per hour than you’re bringing in tbh you sound underpaid for how much they depend on you.
  3. I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    Lv. Percent
    59.24%
    Quote Originally Posted by AMP1984 View Post
    This is a vent about my work...I am frustrated...I DO love my job, I am paid well, I get to do something I enjoy and love. The downside is sometimes with it being such a small business everything is really up to the owner's discretion and there's nothing set in stone/guaranteed. I took issue with this over trying to take 2 weeks for DB's R&R in the end we met in the middle and I booked 1 week. Now it's Christmas break, we don't have guaranteed vacation so I told my boss my daycare is closed Friday Dec 22nd and Monday Dec 25th and asked if we would also get those days off. He said I will be working Friday December 22nd but can have the 25th and 26th off...

I don't even know what to do/say about that...I don't have any family in town that can watch my kids my entire family is in a different country, they said kids cannot come to the office, they have in the past asked me to hire a nanny so I can continue to come to work when my kids are sick and I have told them I cannot afford a private nanny they have to be OK with my missing work when my kids can't be in daycare/school - this was discussed before they hired me 3 years ago and at the time they had said "they totally understand and family comes first". I would pay a nanny more per hour than I make so that's not possible! (I make good money but I also get $1k a month deducted for health insurance that still has a $17k family deductible, unfortunately the one downside to not being married to DB is I have to deal with crappy health insurance)

The time off thing gets me EVERY time...I think I love my job, I am so lucky and then something like this happens and it makes me want to find something else...I cannot bring my kids to work, I have asked about that as well and been told no, which leaves me wondering what in the world they expect me to do?! In the past when I asked that they said "I don't care if you leave them home alone as long as you are here." Well that's almost like saying I don't care if CPS takes your kids...I get they don't have to work around daycare schedules but it would be sooooo nice if they would, or give me the option to take an unpaid day off or something...
    I do think you should start looking for a different job but don't expect your new job to allow you to bring your kids to work either.

Do you ask for time off often because of your kids?

life's a party, rock your body
  4. Regular Member
    Lv. Percent
    87.88%
    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Maybe it’s time to start looking for a different job. I’m not sure what you’re supposed to do in this situation, but this is the second time in the past month or so you’ve complained about your job. If you’d be paying a nanny more per hour than you’re bringing in tbh you sound underpaid for how much they depend on you.

I think it's where I live, in Austin TX nannies are expensive they want $20+/hr and when you factor in my deductions for health insurance and then my drive time to work I'd be handing over my entire paycheck to a nanny...it's not feasible...I have thought about trying to get a job with the school district and then I would have time off that coincides with my kids times off, I think that would be a long term goal I just am unsure of switching anything while DB is deployed because he was the other person that helped with picking up kids and stuff like that, without him it's all on me so I am leery about making huge changes...what if I end up in a worse situation? At least I know what to expect here...even if it drives me bananas sometimes.
  5. Regular Member
    Lv. Percent
    87.88%
    Quote Originally Posted by rayfinkle View Post
    I do think you should start looking for a different job but don't expect your new job to allow you to bring your kids to work either.

Do you ask for time off often because of your kids?
    If daycare is closed I do, so thanksgiving 2 days, Christmas 2 days. Also when they are sick...last time that happened was May 2016 but I took like a week off because both kids ended up getting strep back to back and I still hear about that (and was able to work from home so didn't miss any deadlines or anything), I take a day vacation for their yearly checks ups and schedule my sons neurology appointments at 7:30am twice a year so I get to work at 8:30am those days but then I always work through lunch. I really don't feel I miss anymore work than anyone else, other employees take sick days for themselves and my kids haven't been sick this year so I haven't called in at all. I always give lots of warning unless it's something like the school called and my kid is puking and I need to pick them up (again example it hasn't happened in a while) but it does happen...
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Lv. Percent
    77.11%

If daycare is closed I do, so thanksgiving 2 days, Christmas 2 days. Also when they are sick...last time that happened was May 2016 but I took like a week off because both kids ended up getting strep back to back and I still hear about that (and was able to work from home so didn't miss any deadlines or anything), I take a day vacation for their yearly checks ups and schedule my sons neurology appointments at 7:30am twice a year so I get to work at 8:30am those days but then I always work through lunch. I really don't feel I miss anymore work than anyone else, other employees take sick days for themselves and my kids haven't been sick this year so I haven't called in at all. I always give lots of warning unless it's something like the school called and my kid is puking and I need to pick them up (again example it hasn't happened in a while) but it does happen...

TBH I think it's odd almost any job would allow you to bring your kids to work, but I think being understanding and accommodating when things outside of your control happen needs to be a factor. Do any of your co-workers or bosses not have children?

If you're not willing to look for another job perhaps you should ask for a raise so you can afford a baby sitter for the days something like this happens? IMO, a nanny might be too much for children who are usually in school, but having a baby sitter you trust in case you need one is smart. If the raise is a no-go, propose working from home if it cannot be avoided. If they want you as an employee, which it sounds like they do, they have to give a little somewhere. Most people will be more understanding to change if you propose a plan and a solution. If they refuse all of those I'd be high-tailing it out of there.
  7. Wine-o
    Wine-o
    Lv. Percent
    98.32%
    It's not your employer's responsibility to worry about your child care situation. If you know daycare will be closed, get a babysitter. Not sure why you jump from nothing to private nanny, there are lots of options in between those. If you're not willing to do that then I'd start looking for a new job.
    ~Becca~

8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Lv. Percent
    50.19%

Quote Originally Posted by brahette View Post
    It's not your employer's responsibility to worry about your child care situation. If you know daycare will be closed, get a babysitter. Not sure why you jump from nothing to private nanny, there are lots of options in between those. If you're not willing to do that then I'd start looking for a new job.
    honestly Christmas is vacation time for college kids and high school kids I'm sure some of them would love the extra money to watch your kids....I have never heard of an employer allowing people to bring kids to work because honestly it would be distracting to the work environment. Part of being a working mother is having to have back up plans for days when kids are sick or on vacation from school

9. Regular Member
    Lv. Percent
    87.88%
    Quote Originally Posted by Wild*Rose View Post
    honestly Christmas is vacation time for college kids and high school kids I'm sure some of them would love the extra money to watch your kids....I have never heard of an employer allowing people to bring kids to work because honestly it would be distracting to the work environment. Part of being a working mother is having to have back up plans for days when kids are sick or on vacation from school
    I guess I disagree with that, part of being a mom is putting your kids above a job...if my kids are sick they don't want a stranger who cares more about Netflix than their wellbeing watching them, they want their mother. I am away from them from 7am until 6pm daily for my job, when they don't have somewhere else to go I feel strongly I should be with them. They haven't seen their dad in 2 years, I don't even have a working phone number or address for him, they have abandonment issues as is and I don't feel like leaving them with strangers is the best thing. Since moving to Texas I have tried many babysitters and haven't found anyone reliable, even when confirming the day before I have been left hanging at the time of because they don't have responsibility or accountability to anyone. If something better comes up they just bail. One time I got a babysitter so I could go to work when my oldest was sick and I came back and the babysitter wasn't even in the house she was 2 houses down at a friends and had left my kid completely unsupervised and he actually was wandering around outside alone looking for the babysitter so I am VERY leery of leaving them with someone who doesn't have to follow state regulations.
  10. Wine-o
    Wine-o
    Lv. Percent
    98.32%
    I guess I disagree with that, part of being a mom is putting your kids above a job...if my kids are sick they don't want a stranger who cares more about Netflix than their wellbeing watching them, they want their mother. I am away from them from 7am until 6pm daily for my job, when they don't have somewhere else to go I feel strongly I should be with them. They haven't seen their dad in 2 years, I don't even have a working phone number or address for him, they have abandonment issues as is and I don't feel like leaving them with strangers is the best thing. Since moving to Texas I have tried many babysitters and haven't found anyone reliable, even when confirming the day before I have been left hanging at the time of because they don't have responsibility or accountability to anyone. If something better comes up they just bail. One time I got a babysitter so I could go to work when my oldest was sick and I came back and the babysitter wasn't even in the house she was 2 houses down at a friends and had left my kid completely unsupervised and he actually was wandering around outside alone looking for the babysitter so I am VERY leery of leaving them with someone who doesn't have to follow state regulations.
    Again, that's not your employer's problem.
    ~Becca~

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast