Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Christmas Holidays/Work

1. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    17.31%
    Advertisements
    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    I feel like it’s weird to accept hand me downs from your boss’s wife. Like I would legit feel like they were treating me like a charity case.

Also, if you’re a good employee you could have job security anywhere. You’re paying $1000 a month for a high deductible insurance plan, they don’t let you take your vacation, they don’t pay you enough hourly to afford someone who can watch your kids, I kinda feel like you’re making excuses to stay in your comfort zone. Which like whatever, your business, but if you feel like you’re being treated unfairly you should find a new job.
    Yes! I’d be spending my time looking elsewhere. You mentioned not having a support system at a new job. Nothing about this place seems supportive from what you’ve shared.
  2. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    50.28%
    I feel like it’s weird to accept hand me downs from your boss’s wife. Like I would legit feel like they were treating me like a charity case.

Also, if you’re a good employee you could have job security anywhere. You’re paying $1000 a month for a high deductible insurance plan, they don’t let you take your vacation, they don’t pay you enough hourly to afford someone who can watch your kids, I kinda feel like you’re making excuses to stay in your comfort zone. Which like whatever, your business, but if you feel like you’re being treated unfairly you should find a new job.
    Yep. You continuously vent about your employer, but when people suggest to look for another job you really defend them. It makes no sense.

and if I remember correctly the majority of people in your previous thread weren't saying two weeks was too much, just that it was at your workplace's discretion.
  3. Plays with knives
    Plays with knives
    Lv. Percent
    2.47%
    I feel like itís weird to accept hand me downs from your bossís wife. Like I would legit feel like they were treating me like a charity case.

Also, if youíre a good employee you could have job security anywhere. Youíre paying $1000 a month for a high deductible insurance plan, they donít let you take your vacation, they donít pay you enough hourly to afford someone who can watch your kids, I kinda feel like youíre making excuses to stay in your comfort zone. Which like whatever, your business, but if you feel like youíre being treated unfairly you should find a new job.
    This. If your employer honestly and truly wanted to help you, they wouldn't be giving you hand-me-down clothes from their wife. They'd be paying you properly, letting you take the time off you're legally entitled to and trying to simplify caring for your kids as much as possible.
    Accensum qui pedicat urit mentulam.
  4. Moderator
    Lv. Percent
    76.74%

I would honestly find a sitter. Go on Care.com or sittercity and find someone with references. Itís a couple of days. Thatís not high end nanny status. Itís definitely doable.
  5. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Lv. Percent
    8.9%

Quote Originally Posted by DakotaCowgirl View Post
    I'm not sure about your job. You will need to check your employee book. They might not be able to give you the time off because others are taking it off. Not all places are closed the 26th as that isn't a Federal Holiday. It is a business day. The 22nd they may have everyone coming in to give the place a clean because it is a good time to get everything done.

Your employer is that....Your employer. They don't have to give you time off if you ask. You need to request it far enough a head and be ready for a no. Not all the time will you get the time off that you want. As for vacation, they are closed on Christmas correct? That is all they have to be off. I've worked many small business and I knew that I was off on certain days (i.e. Federal Holidays: Christmas, Thanksgiving). I had to share the taking time off with other people. If it is a busy time for them, I expected to have it denied.

Also, your personal business is that, YOUR business. If you don't want your boss to know, don't allow them to see those posts. I don't have my boss on my Facebook page and if I do, they are under a special group that can't see it.

You need to figure out if you can work with that; but, it is standard business practice to understand that you could be denied vacation. Your personal business isn't your employers problem.

I guess it's different for me because I work for a larger company, but I try to ask for time off that I need as far in advance as possible. If I'm not able to get it approved off, but I can't go into work, I still don't go it's just not an "excused" absence so I have an occurrence and it counts against my attendance. If you're saying they can't approve it for vacation I get that, especially around this time of the year and it sounds from your posts like you requested it off recently ... I know pretty much the whole month has been filled up for ages at my work. If they're going to fire you for missing one day of work ... well that stinks and I would definitely look for a different job.

In terms of vacation ... like I said in the other thread, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect to use your vacation time and be able to plan in advance. I wouldn't book a cruise or pay for a vacation or whatever without requesting days off, but once I get them approved I do and the company has to give them to me. But it is business needs first, so just because I technically have PTO available doesn't mean I'll get an excused absence no matter what. Like PP said, if others are taking the day off too it might not be available and the place can't function if everyone takes the same day off.

I also think setting boundaries between work life and personal life would be a good idea. It sounds like they're getting muddled on both sides. When it comes down to it, business is always going to come first.
  6. Regular Member
    Lv. Percent
    87.88%
    Thank you - I appreciate the comments and I see a lot of truth in what is being said. I do have a desire to look for a different job but I am scared to make a job change and end up in a worse situation. That is definitely me being chicken, but the known and routine just feels so much safer right now, my kids and I have been through a ton of changes in the last couple years I am liking a bit of stability even if it's frustrating

I definitely also have allowed the lines of work/friendship to be blurred with my employers and that's on me as well...I guess I can't take the perks of that without also taking the downsides.

I do wish we had more dates with work set in stone ahead of time, one reason vacations aren't booked (like around Christmas) is we didn't know which days we were going to have off until the day I posted my frustration...we "usually" have the day before and day after if it's on a weekend which would have been the Friday and the Monday, I had no idea work was going to give us the Monday and Tuesday and we'd have to work on the Friday so I didn't know I needed to take off because of the daycare so it's frustrating for me. Last year Christmas was on a Sunday and we had the entire week before it off paid vacation, this year we get the 2 days after so who knew. Now I figure it out

I definitely also need to start making friends...I honestly haven't talked to a single parent in the daycare, I say hi or hold the door open for someone but it's usually a quick in and out at drop off/pick up not a lot of conversations...or possibly I am bad at making friends since I have lived here for a little over 3 years now (although the daycare we just started this September after summer camp ended bc of issues with previous daycare)
  7. I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    Lv. Percent
    59.24%
    Quote Originally Posted by AMP1984 View Post
    Thank you - I appreciate the comments and I see a lot of truth in what is being said. I do have a desire to look for a different job but I am scared to make a job change and end up in a worse situation. That is definitely me being chicken, but the known and routine just feels so much safer right now, my kids and I have been through a ton of changes in the last couple years I am liking a bit of stability even if it's frustrating

I definitely also have allowed the lines of work/friendship to be blurred with my employers and that's on me as well...I guess I can't take the perks of that without also taking the downsides.

I do wish we had more dates with work set in stone ahead of time, one reason vacations aren't booked (like around Christmas) is we didn't know which days we were going to have off until the day I posted my frustration...we "usually" have the day before and day after if it's on a weekend which would have been the Friday and the Monday, I had no idea work was going to give us the Monday and Tuesday and we'd have to work on the Friday so I didn't know I needed to take off because of the daycare so it's frustrating for me. Last year Christmas was on a Sunday and we had the entire week before it off paid vacation, this year we get the 2 days after so who knew. Now I figure it out

I definitely also need to start making friends...I honestly haven't talked to a single parent in the daycare, I say hi or hold the door open for someone but it's usually a quick in and out at drop off/pick up not a lot of conversations...or possibly I am bad at making friends since I have lived here for a little over 3 years now (although the daycare we just started this September after summer camp ended bc of issues with previous daycare)
    I mean, good luck? I doubt anything will ever change since it's been like this for 3 years.

You keep saying you don't want to be put in a worse situation. Like what?

life's a party, rock your body
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234