Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Are you asking for anything specific for a holiday gift?

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Lv. Percent
    77.11%

Advertisements
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabrina22LE View Post
    I'm very similar. I always am so much more excited about things people picked for me themselves than the ones I specifically asked for. More often than not it's something I didn't even know I wanted!
    Quote Originally Posted by Medic2Doula View Post
    dh has made amazon wish lists before, I hate that. Let me buy you something that makes me think of you. This isn't grocery shopping, I din't need a list!
    I'm ridiculously picky when it comes to what I like so I hate receiving gifts because people spend money and I might not like it and I won't have the heart to tell them. So when it comes to buying gifts for people I ask them specifically what they want if I haven't been paying attention to things they say. If it's a stocking stuffer type of deal I'll go on a whim because they're typically not too expensive. Totally can ruin the surprise of gifts but I also work hard for my money and don't want it going to waste and vice versa.
  2. So lost and wandering.
    So lost and wandering.
    Lv. Percent
    58.44%
    I am not getting anything. And there is nothing I need. I would love a drum set so I can play again. Maybe one day.
  3. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    Lv. Percent
    10.84%
    Quote Originally Posted by ChandyPandy View Post
    I have always thought that a gift is supposed to be something that a person buys because they think you will like it, not because you tell them to buy it for you. So, I never give a "Christmas List" It irritates my parents. But, I would rather have something I don't really like that someone put some thought into than something someone bought off a list.
    I mean I get this, but then I would have to be okay with sometimes not getting anything, or getting very ill-suited gifts. Some people just suck at gift buying. DH's love language definitely isn't giving gifts and he tends to panic buy whatever he sees if he doesn't know what I want, and then I end up with stuff like a necklace that has a tiny strobe light in it and it's also the shape of a DNA strand. I mean, it's cool, but I can literally never wear it anywhere because it flashes so bright and there's no way to turn it off (the on switch is inside the closure mechanism) He gets a lot of stress over what to give to people, so if me making a list of kindle books I want makes him feel better, that's fine.
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  4. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    13.47%
    Quote Originally Posted by rocket_lizz View Post
    I mean I get this, but then I would have to be okay with sometimes not getting anything, or getting very ill-suited gifts. Some people just suck at gift buying. DH's love language definitely isn't giving gifts and he tends to panic buy whatever he sees if he doesn't know what I want, and then I end up with stuff like a necklace that has a tiny strobe light in it and it's also the shape of a DNA strand. I mean, it's cool, but I can literally never wear it anywhere because it flashes so bright and there's no way to turn it off (the on switch is inside the closure mechanism) He gets a lot of stress over what to give to people, so if me making a list of kindle books I want makes him feel better, that's fine.
    I don't even like getting gifts that much to be honest. (I do like giving them, though. ) DB typically gets me a tshirt he thinks I will like. It might not be fancy, but that is all I need. He asked me what I want for my birthday last week, and I was like...uh...show up to the "surprise" party.

Buuuut. I definitely understand some people would rather get something they like - they would rather people not waste their money on stuff they don't like. I definitely get it. I am not here to hate on other ways of gift giving. : )
    I misskrissyo 'cause we have a bangin' good time...emphasis on the bangin'.
    Miss[Pregg]O is my twinie!
    TatooBot! is my lesbian partner.

My Blog Updated:Usually weekly, because I forget to update when I updated.
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Lv. Percent
    41.66%
    Every year my husband gets me a new non-stick pan. Nothing fancy; but, it is something that I need every year.

Otherwise, I really don't want much at all. It is more fun to get for other people than myself.
    "Obstinacy is a fault of temperament. Stubbornness and Intolerance of contradiction result from a special kind of Egotism, which elevates above everything else the pleasure of its own autonomous intellect, to which others must bow.: Carl von Clausewitz
  6. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    Lv. Percent
    10.84%
    Quote Originally Posted by ChandyPandy View Post
    I don't even like getting gifts that much to be honest. (I do like giving them, though. ) DB typically gets me a tshirt he thinks I will like. It might not be fancy, but that is all I need. He asked me what I want for my birthday last week, and I was like...uh...show up to the "surprise" party.

Buuuut. I definitely understand some people would rather get something they like - they would rather people not waste their money on stuff they don't like. I definitely get it. I am not here to hate on other ways of gift giving. : )
    Tshirts are nice! Although I recently told DH to make sure any clothes he gets me are work appropriate since I have to be at work 5/7 days a week and have far fewer work clothes than not.

I actually have gotten into the habit of trying to buy people "experiences" rather than material items because it's easier to pick something they like, and if they don't, oh well, at least they don't feel obligated to keep it on their end table for eternity. So far this year, only my mom & one SIL are getting physical items (they specifically asked for). Everyone else is getting more "experience" type things.
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  7. Moderator
    Lv. Percent
    76.74%

My daughter confessed that DH found a vacuum I might like for Christmas. So basically, my husband is a walking stereotype. I text him and told him Id like a spin bike for Christmas. I really would and I def like that more than a vacuum...when we have damn hardwood floor.
  8. I'm not drunk, you're just blurry.
    I'm not drunk, you're just blurry.
    Lv. Percent
    35.63%

Well I’m terrible and my mom got me an instant pot but she had it shipped to me so I’ve already used it like 4 times. It is the best kitchen appliance I have ever had. I really want a cast iron skillet and a new pair of Bob’s flats! My corgi ate my last pair

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234