Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Port visits

1. Regular Member
    Lv. Percent
    89.34%

Port visits

Advertisements
    DH is deploying soon and since he will be missing all of the holidays I have been thinking about visiting him at one of his longer stops. Has anyone been to Guam or Singapore? Or visited their SO on a port stop. Any advice? Is it worth traveling that far for a few days?
  2. Plays with knives
    Plays with knives
    Lv. Percent
    62.98%
    Iíve been to Singapore. I LOVED it. Sing remains one of my very favourite places.

I would not, however, go just because heís likely to have a port stop there. Thereís no guarantee you would get to see him (if someone on the ship does something idiotic enough, they may ALL have to pay for it with curfews or cancelled shore leave) and itís a very long trip for a few days. If you go at all, go for yourself and make a real vacation out of it, not just for him.
    Accensum qui pedicat urit mentulam.
  3. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    23.57%
    Quote Originally Posted by Matchbox View Post
    Iíve been to Singapore. I LOVED it. Sing remains one of my very favourite places.

I would not, however, go just because heís likely to have a port stop there. Thereís no guarantee you would get to see him (if someone on the ship does something idiotic enough, they may ALL have to pay for it with curfews or cancelled shore leave) and itís a very long trip for a few days. If you go at all, go for yourself and make a real vacation out of it, not just for him.
    this, and you are counting on them being there on certain dates.
    If the navy is involved, count on plans falling through.
    Dh just came from Guam and wasn't in love, but he too loved Singapore.

I went to Japan once, visiting Tokyo with my sister, but planning on taking a train to see dh, he was in home port, what could go wrong (other than the fact that I knew nothing of the language or geography and would have probably had to take a ferry or plane)????
    They were restricted to the ship. We were *so close* after being a world apart, and no dice.

I hate to be a debby downer, but don't set yourself up for disappointment
  4. Plays with knives
    Plays with knives
    Lv. Percent
    62.98%
    Quote Originally Posted by Medic2Doula View Post

I went to Japan once, visiting Tokyo with my sister, but planning on taking a train to see dh, he was in home port, what could go wrong (other than the fact that I knew nothing of the language or geography and would have probably had to take a ferry or plane)????
    They were restricted to the ship. We were *so close* after being a world apart, and no dice.

I consider Singapore fat-kid paradise. Eating is the national sport, it’s great. I think I gained something like thirty pounds purely because I couldn’t stop stuffing my face with things hawkers gave me.
    Accensum qui pedicat urit mentulam.
  5. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    36.46%
    I have yet...last time DH denied me any trips. This time there is talk of one port call and if there is enough time in the schedule he will fly me over. Plus he knows he would end up dead if he didn't.

I have heard great things about Singapore....and honestly I would do that one vs Guam. Is he on a PAC tour? My parents got to go to Hong Kong and didn't see my sister due to relations between us and China at the time. But they still went.
  6. Regular Member
    Lv. Percent
    89.34%
    Quote Originally Posted by Medic2Doula View Post

Very true. I have realized the military always finds a way to put a damper in your plans. We didn't get to go our pre-deployment leave getaway because they changed the deployment date . I have heard a lot of mix reviews on Guam, but the pictures are beautiful. I usually travel alone, but going to another country by myself and then possibly not even seeing him probably isn't going to be worth it. I will probably end up waiting the 7 months until he gets home.
  7. Regular Member
    Lv. Percent
    89.34%
    Quote Originally Posted by Margot31 View Post
    I have yet...last time DH denied me any trips. This time there is talk of one port call and if there is enough time in the schedule he will fly me over. Plus he knows he would end up dead if he didn't.

I have heard great things about Singapore....and honestly I would do that one vs Guam. Is he on a PAC tour? My parents got to go to Hong Kong and didn't see my sister due to relations between us and China at the time. But they still went.

I'm still new to all of this and I'm not sure what a PAC tour is.
  8. Moderator
    Lv. Percent
    73.19%

I would do it and have a back up plan.

DHís last deployment was on a ship guaranteed to stop in Spain. My best friend and I booked tickets because her husband was in the same squadron. Well, then they sent my husband off the ship boots on ground and the guaranteed port changed for the other guys.

Best trip I ever took because we still went! It was amazing. Next deployment, Iíll likely try and meet him again.
  9. I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    Lv. Percent
    52.68%
    I also say go for it! If you don't see him, then you are still traveling and having fun!

Definitely do Singapore. Wonderful country with great people!

life's a party, rock your body
  10. Navy Wife Extraordinaire
    Navy Wife Extraordinaire
    Lv. Percent
    27.4%

DH and I have thought about doing it, one time I almost went to visit him while he was in port in Hong Kong. But there are so many factors that could go wrong that we decided not to and just saved up our money for a big trip AFTER deployment. That way you can go when he is on leave and know that there won't be anything to mess up the trip. One post-deployment vacation we took was to Maui for 10 days and then another was to go to Japan for 2 weeks.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast