Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Port visits

1. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    74.23%
    Advertisements
    I've done a fair number of port calls. Most of them were while we were in Japan, so they flights were fairly short, but I also did Perth, Australia when we lived in San Diego.

The biggest thing is to get the "cancel for no reason" trip insurance. They are often canceled, shifted, or have the location changed. On my trip to Perth, we (me and a friend spouse from DH's command) met a couple spouses on the flight. Their husbands were on a different boat but part of the same port call.

Our husband's boat was smaller. it got in. The carrier didn't. No one knew this until the day of, basically. They were already in Australia. You could see the carrier off the coast with binoculars, but they didn't get to see their husbands. So port calls can be inherently heartbreaking, but they can also be incredible.

Which brings me to another point--travel with a friend if you can.

Singapore is amazing!
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Lv. Percent
    63.33%

In the same boat as you. Myself and a few of the other wives are talking about planning a trip for the port call during the estimated time they'll be there with the intention to see them, but if not then we still get a nice trip out of it and none of us are alone.
  3. Regular Member
    Lv. Percent
    66.89%
    Done that before, i visit DB when he was in port in Bali. I spent 3 days with him and his mates. We had so much fun! Agreed with Villanelle tho, always get travel insurance. I've been to Singapore a couple times both for work and holiday. It's a foodie paradise, don't forget to visit the hawker centre, if i have limited time and had to choose, i would go to chomp chomp hawker centre and the old airport road hawker centre. I recommend to get the singapore tourist pass so you can get around using public transport cheaply. Also, you can claim GST refund at changi airport before you leave the country. Enjoy your trip!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12