Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Low FODMAP diet, any recipe suggestions?

1. Regular Member
    Lv. Percent
    65.85%

Low FODMAP diet, any recipe suggestions?

Advertisements
    Doc thinks I have IBS, so I've been put on a low FODMAP diet, gluten-free and dairy-free as well. Which makes me really freakin' sad, since I love milk, bread, onions, and garlic.... And it also screws up my carefully crafted 2 week rotating meal plan.

Anyone else been put on this type of diet? How'd you find recipes? Any favorites? I eat pretty much anything other than something like hakarl, as does the Hubs.
    I live dangerously - I drink whiskey while knitting.
  2. Plays with knives
    Plays with knives
    Lv. Percent
    2.47%
    You rang? Chef is on duty, the kitchen is open.

Give me some time to think about it, and I’ll get back to you. You present an interesting challenge.

Question...when you say dairy free, is it the lactose or the casein that gives you problems? I might make different substitutions for someone who has to dodge lactose than for one who has to dodge casein.

Also, is there something in particular on your existing meal plan that you’d especially miss? If I can, I’ll try to directly replace your favourites that you can’t have any more.
    Accensum qui pedicat urit mentulam.
  3. Regular Member
    Lv. Percent
    65.85%
    Quote Originally Posted by Matchbox View Post
    You rang? Chef is on duty, the kitchen is open.

Give me some time to think about it, and I’ll get back to you. You present an interesting challenge.

Question...when you say dairy free, is it the lactose or the casein that gives you problems? I might make different substitutions for someone who has to dodge lactose than for one who has to dodge casein.

Also, is there something in particular on your existing meal plan that you’d especially miss? If I can, I’ll try to directly replace your favourites that you can’t have any more.
    You are my new favorite person.

It's the lactose. Doc thinks I might be lactose intolerant (my 'Sconnie blood is crying).

Well...cookies. Lol! I'm going to try to find gluten-free flour at the grocery and figure out something sweet (dried cranberries?) to throw in. I love me some cookies.

I'm pretty adventurous when it comes to cooking. If it works - sweet! If not, I probably learned something from the experience. *shrug*
  4. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    93.42%
    Try googling paleo recipes or searching Pinterest. My aunt was on that diet for awhile and I think my cousin still is and they found lots of interesting recipes, even for baked goods. Luckily paleo was a big trend a few years ago so there should be a decent amount out there. Garlic and onions are hard to replace (I'm from the garlic capitol of the world ) but maybe you can substitute a lot of herbs?
  5. Plays with knives
    Plays with knives
    Lv. Percent
    2.47%
    Quote Originally Posted by sassyspoonicus View Post
    You are my new favorite person.

It's the lactose. Doc thinks I might be lactose intolerant (my 'Sconnie blood is crying).

Well...cookies. Lol! I'm going to try to find gluten-free flour at the grocery and figure out something sweet (dried cranberries?) to throw in. I love me some cookies.

I'm pretty adventurous when it comes to cooking. If it works - sweet! If not, I probably learned something from the experience. *shrug*
    Initial thoughts...

If I were you, one of the first things I’d do would be to buy some asafoetida. It’s a spice that’s used a lot in Indian cooking, and it tastes very much like garlic when you cook with it, so it was the first thing that came to mind as a replacement. Check the back of the jar; some brands use wheat flour as an anti-caking agent, so be sure you get one that doesn’t.

You MIGHT also be able to get away with the green parts of leeks (I’d still avoid the white part, but I’ve seen the greens used in low-FODMAP recipes before) for onions.

I have good news for your inner Sconnie too - you’ll have to give up cow’s milk, but you should still be able to have some cheese. A lot of the harder cheeses like your parmesan, your cheddar, your Swiss...most of the lactose that was in the milk isn’t there in the finished cheese. Most of the lactose is drained away in the whey as it’s being made, and the process of aging changes what’s left into something else. Unless you’re exceptionally sensitive (which is a call you’ll have to make on your own) the trace levels of lactose in hard cheese will very likely be too small to set you off. The same applies to butter. Trace levels only, and most people with lactose sensitivities are okay with it

Goat’s milk yogurt and goat’s cheese would also be worth trying, though I would wait until this first trial diet period is over before reintroducing it just to be sure. A lot of people (though not all) with sensitivities to lactose find goat’s milk easier to digest. It may be worth a try.

Bad news on the cookies...some dried fruit seems to be okay for FODMAPs, but a lot of the most common ones (raisins and currants stick out particularly here) aren’t, since they’re packed with fructose. I’m not sure where dried cranberries fall on that continuum. Dried blueberries might be good.

How do you feel about coconut? I’ve checked, and it seems to be safe for you to eat as long as you don’t stuff yourself on it, but do you like it? Because there’s a very common Australian recipe for biscuits/cookies with coconut, oats (which conveniently are safe for most celiacs) and golden syrup (sub in maple syrup if you can’t get golden syrup) that I’m almost certain would be safe for you. Would you be willing to try?
    Last edited by Matchbox; 10-11-2017 at 10:03 PM.
  6. Regular Member
    Lv. Percent
    65.85%
    Quote Originally Posted by kt_bug View Post
    Try googling paleo recipes or searching Pinterest. My aunt was on that diet for awhile and I think my cousin still is and they found lots of interesting recipes, even for baked goods. Luckily paleo was a big trend a few years ago so there should be a decent amount out there. Garlic and onions are hard to replace (I'm from the garlic capitol of the world ) but maybe you can substitute a lot of herbs?
    I didn't even think about paleo!

Quote Originally Posted by Matchbox View Post
    Initial thoughts...

If I were you, one of the first things I’d do would be to buy some asafoetida. It’s a spice that’s used a lot in Indian cooking, and it tastes very much like garlic when you cook with it, so it was the first thing that came to mind as a replacement. Check the back of the jar; some brands use wheat flour as an anti-caking agent, so be sure you get one that doesn’t.

You MIGHT also be able to get away with the green parts of leeks (I’d still avoid the white part, but I’ve seen the greens used in low-FODMAP recipes before) for onions.

I have good news for your inner Sconnie too - you’ll have to give up cow’s milk, but you should still be able to have some cheese. A lot of the harder cheeses like your parmesan, your cheddar, your Swiss...most of the lactose that was in the milk isn’t there in the finished cheese. Most of the lactose is drained away in the whey as it’s being made, and the process of aging changes what’s left into something else. Unless you’re exceptionally sensitive (which is a call you’ll have to make on your own) the trace levels of lactose in hard cheese will very likely be too small to set you off. The same applies to butter. Trace levels only, and most people with lactose sensitivities are okay with it

Goat’s milk yogurt and goat’s cheese would also be worth trying, though I would wait until this first trial diet period is over before reintroducing it just to be sure. A lot of people (though not all) with sensitivities to lactose find goat’s milk easier to digest. It may be worth a try.

Bad news on the cookies...some dried fruit seems to be okay for FODMAPs, but a lot of the most common ones (raisins and currants stick out particularly here) aren’t, since they’re packed with fructose. I’m not sure where dried cranberries fall on that continuum. Dried blueberries might be good.

How do you feel about coconut? I’ve checked, and it seems to be safe for you to eat as long as you don’t stuff yourself on it, but do you like it? Because there’s a very common Australian recipe for biscuits/cookies with coconut, oats (which conveniently are safe for most celiacs) and golden syrup (sub in maple syrup if you can’t get golden syrup) that I’m almost certain would be safe for you. Would you be willing to try?

I'll be looking for asafoetida! We put garlic in everything, so that's a really drastic change. And WOOOOO still cheddar! I'm not convinced that I'm totally lactose sensitive, but Doc wants me to try.

I'm okay with coconut. I like it in baked things, but not just sprinkled on top. I also happen to have a giant jug of maple syrup in my fridge right now since I'm slightly addicted to pancakes.

I know I can get through 6 weeks of this diet (plus then however long it takes to reintroduce and find triggers)...but I'm not that inventive, and I know I'm going to get bored of chicken/pork/beef plus a short list of veggies and rice. So any tips or tricks or suggestions will be tried!
  7. Plays with knives
    Plays with knives
    Lv. Percent
    2.47%
    Quote Originally Posted by sassyspoonicus View Post

I'll be looking for asafoetida! We put garlic in everything, so that's a really drastic change. And WOOOOO still cheddar! I'm not convinced that I'm totally lactose sensitive, but Doc wants me to try.

I'm okay with coconut. I like it in baked things, but not just sprinkled on top. I also happen to have a giant jug of maple syrup in my fridge right now since I'm slightly addicted to pancakes.

I know I can get through 6 weeks of this diet (plus then however long it takes to reintroduce and find triggers)...but I'm not that inventive, and I know I'm going to get bored of chicken/pork/beef plus a short list of veggies and rice. So any tips or tricks or suggestions will be tried!
    It’s possible that hard cheese like cheddar could still give you issues, but in my personal experience it’s rare. You would have to be VERY sensitive to it before you felt anything wrong.

About those biscuits...

They’re called Anzac biscuits (not cookies, never cookies...it is, and I’m completely serious when I say this, ILLEGAL to call this particular kind a cookie; they’re very much a protected thing, so there are laws about what can be in them and who can make a profit from them, and you’d have to get permission from the Department of Veteran’s Affairs to sell them for money) and they were invented as something that could fit into a care package. Australia and New Zealand in the First World War both dispatched a huge, HUGE percentage of their male population overseas to fight, and every one of them had a mother or a sister or a wife who had to think of the little pleasures she could send him. Socks, jocks, cigarettes...what else, when it would take a steamship months to cross the world with the mail? What could they send that would still be good after so long?

Someone invented these biscuits. No eggs and no milk, so they would last all that time. Cheap ingredients and an easy recipe, so almost anyone could make them; even a little girl who didn’t know how to cook anything else could manage these for her Daddy in France. Sweet, so it would be a real treat.

2 cups plain flour. Any gluten free flour can be subbed in, as soon as you find one you like.
    2 ½ cups rolled oats. These are usually safe for celiacs, and I know Quaker sells oats that they guarantee as gluten free...if you really don't want to risk it, use quinoa flakes
    180g butter or margarine
    1 ¼ cups desiccated coconut
    1 ½ cups firmly packed brown sugar
    3 tbsp golden syrup, or maple since that's what you have
    8 tbsp boiling water
    1 tsp bicarbonate soda

Preheat oven to 200°C (or 180°C fan-forced) - that's about 395 in Farenheit. Line flat large trays with baking paper.

Mix your dry ingredients in a large bowl.

In a pan on the stove, melt together your butter and syrup, taking it off the heat when it comes to the boil. Add this to the dry bowl while it's still hot, mixing it with a wooden spoon.

Water and bicarb soda in a small bowl, then add that to the big bowl too. Mix (either with a spoon or - once it cools a little - with your hands) until it all comes together.

Drop roughly tablespoon sized balls of the mixture on your lined tray, flatten them out a little and bake for 10-12 minutes
  8. Regular Member
    Lv. Percent
    96%
    So, over the past few years I have quit eating gluten and dairy, and it actually has been working for me really well- from losing weight to clearing up acne, to feeling healthier in general. Here's some tips I learned along the way:

They make gluten free tortillas that are amazing (you can find them at most grocery stores) They're great for tacos or turkey wraps or anything.
    Also they have gluten free pasta at wal mart (right next to the regular pasta) that tastes the exact same. And UDIs makes bread- it's in the freezer section, but zap it in the microwave for 30 seconds and it's really good.

Wal mart also has coconut milk ice cream (yummy) and coconut milk yogurt. For when you're craving ice cream.

All these things are husband approved too, by the way, (who is not gluten free or dairy free).

Also, any drink at starbucks with coconut milk is delicious.

And... when you're craving fast food, Carl's junior and some other places will serve their burgers as lettuce wraps, which is convenient. Just as for no cheese
    If you want home made stuff, the gluten free flour at wal mart in the green bag works just like regular flour.

I could go on all day, but I think I've written enough Good luck on your diet!
  9. Moderator
    Lv. Percent
    76.74%

My Nana has Celiacs and makes the most amazing peanut butter, gluten free, cookies in the world. I can get you the recipe, if you would like. They are fantastic. She has such a sweet tooth and this definitely satisfies that. My children beg for her to ship them some all the time.
  10. Senior Member
    duluth mn...it's a great city on a great lake!
    Lv. Percent
    25.89%
    Sooooooo about the garlic......I can't live without it and when I was doing a crazy elimination diet to help heal my gut after a nasty nasty illness I would sauté garlic in oil and just discard the actual garlic pieces...apparently infusing oil is safe since you're not actually eating the garlic. Your experience may differ from mine though so you might want to follow the diet and reintroduce it at a later date.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast