Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Dogs & Moving

1. Regular Member
    Lv. Percent
    60.49%

Smile Dogs & Moving

Advertisements
    Do you have issues finding housing that allows 2 dogs? We will be living in San Diego next year and don't plan on using military housing.

My DH lives on the west coast and I'm on the east coast until he comes home from deployment. He will be leaving in the next month for a 7+ month deployment. I currently have a 5lb chihuahua that is almost 13 years old. She's a little dog with a big personality, but has always been around other dogs. Recently, she hasn't had the best health and was only expected to live a week but has now been going strong for 2+ months. We have discussed getting another dog and my husband is completely ok with it. I thought now would be a good time because I have a job that the dog can come to work with me, I have family to watch it if I need to go see him and it gives my dog a companion when we do move and I can get the potty training down pat. I also feel guilty because a part of me wants one to help cope with my dog. She has CHF 6/6 heart murmur and her meds prolong her life. I have been going back and forth with this for almost a year now and I stubbled upon a small rescue poodle that feels right.
    so...I need some advice..
    Is PCSing with 2 dogs a hassle? Is housing a hassle? Am I crappy person for getting another dog since mine is sick?
  2. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    81.34%
    We've PCSed 3 times with 2 dogs over 50lbs, and one of those PCS was to San Diego from the east coast. Finding a place was a huge hassle because we needed a yard and because they are large breed dogs; so, we wound up living in base housing. The drive itself was not bad with the dogs, but we've vacationed with our dogs a lot (they've been to like 30 states with us) so I'm used to it.

With the size of your dog I don't think you will have an issue. A lot of places allow dogs under 25lbs.

3. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    Lv. Percent
    6.56%
    Pretty much all apartments in San Diego have a 2-pet limit, under 25 lbs. And you will probably have to pay pet rent and a non-refundable pet deposit too, just FYI. Some places have breed restrictions but it's usually stuff like Pits and Dalmatians and Beagles (the howling!)

Just don't plan on having access to a yard or patio where you can let them be outside, unless you pay really a lot of money to rent, or live in base housing. It seems to be that base housing here has the most bang for your buck in terms of size and having yards and stuff.
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  4. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    21.59%
    I would wait on the second dog, but if you do get one it would probably be best to get another small breed. In a lot of places apartments and landlords have a 25 lb limit and most the places I've seen have either a 1 or 2 pet limit. I adore big dogs, but I know having one would make it so much harder to find housing when we move. It's always best to think ahead. There is a neighborhood here that has no size or breed restrictions, so several of my friends are buying German Shepherds, Siberian Huskies, and other breeds that are going to make finding housing a huge pain.

PCSing with dogs might be a hassle, depending on if they both travel well. Most likely you will just have to make more stops if you are driving. If you fly there are some airlines that have really good prices for flying with pets.
  5. Regular Member
    Lv. Percent
    12.07%
    You can usually find places that will allow 2 max, but breed restrictions are huge here so definitely put thought into the second pupper. Also, be prepared for another ~500 dollars for the security deposit and then most complexes charge $50 per pet, so $100 total if you have two. I love living here, but there are some major cons when it comes to housing. It's tough not having a yard, but with small dogs it is at least easier to let them run around a little inside.

Good luck!!
  6. Regular Member
    Lv. Percent
    60.49%
    Thanks ladies!! I wasn't sure how it worked in California. Here we only have to pay a security deposit and some places don't even require that.
  7. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    60.51%
    I would absolutely wait. You will be able to find a place--possibly with a fair amount of effort and searching-- but you will be pretty limited, and may end up spending a lot more money (in a city that is already very expensive), or end up in a crappy place, with a long commute, etc.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski