Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cockroaches

1. Regular Member
    Lv. Percent
    7.44%

Cockroaches

Advertisements
    Does anyone have cockroaches in their home? If so, what do you do to get rid of them? DB and I just moved into a new apartment last Wednesday and we've seen two cockroaches inside in the past 2 days. We maintain a pretty tidy home, and never leave food out or anything. Our garbage can has a lock on in, there's no leaky pipes or anything. I'm just so confused as to why we have roaches! Is it just a season thing? I can't handle having roaches in my home.
  2. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    36.46%
    Here in FL I like to call them Palmetto bugs (nicer name) but we have them once and a while. Sometimes it has to do with the weather. When we get too much rain they show up a little more.
  3. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    9.35%
    Quote Originally Posted by Margot31 View Post
    Here in FL I like to call them Palmetto bugs (nicer name) but we have them once and a while. Sometimes it has to do with the weather. When we get too much rain they show up a little more.
    Palmetto bugs are a different kind of roach and they usually come in from outside, I think. German cockroaches are the tiny ones and they're way harder to get rid of.

Does your apartment have any kind of pest control set up? You may have to pay for an exterminator. There's also stuff you can buy at Lowes or Home Depot called ortho max that we used at my house and it worked AWESOME. We've never ever ever ever had bugs but palmetto bugs started coming in (I was told) due to major road construction nearby, my grandfather used that stuff months ago and I haven't seen a single bug since. And it was bad, like almost every day I was seeing a bug.

But again if you have German cockroaches you may need to get an actual exterminator.
  4. Regular Member
    Lv. Percent
    7.44%
    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Palmetto bugs are a different kind of roach and they usually come in from outside, I think. German cockroaches are the tiny ones and they're way harder to get rid of.

Does your apartment have any kind of pest control set up? You may have to pay for an exterminator. There's also stuff you can buy at Lowes or Home Depot called ortho max that we used at my house and it worked AWESOME. We've never ever ever ever had bugs but palmetto bugs started coming in (I was told) due to major road construction nearby, my grandfather used that stuff months ago and I haven't seen a single bug since. And it was bad, like almost every day I was seeing a bug.

But again if you have German cockroaches you may need to get an actual exterminator.
    I know that there's a pest control service included in our rent so I'll definitely be talking to our leasing office about doing that. It's been extra humid lately, and there's been a decent amount of overnight rain so I'm sure that's contributing to the problem. We just sprayed some raid max along the fireplace and both doors, I hope it works! I'm so not used to this climate and all of the weird bugs that come along with it haha
  5. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    36.46%

Ours are HUGE. But either way I still like the name palmetto bug. Just simply has a better sound.
  6. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    9.35%
    Omg yeah if pest control is included then definitely take advantage, i kinda doubt your complex wants to deal with an infestation either.

Ours are HUGE. But either way I still like the name palmetto bug. Just simply has a better sound.
    If they're huge they're palmetto bugs lol. I'm just saying all roaches are not palmetto bugs.
  7. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    36.46%
    Omg yeah if pest control is included then definitely take advantage, i kinda doubt your complex wants to deal with an infestation either.

If they're huge they're palmetto bugs lol. I'm just saying all roaches are not palmetto bugs.
    I am fully aware of that...i just don't like the term roaches. Especially when one lands on you while you are letting the dog into the house and find it crawling on your neck/back of hair...........
  8. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    9.35%
    I am fully aware of that...i just don't like the term roaches. Especially when one lands on you while you are letting the dog into the house and find it crawling on your neck/back of hair...........
    Omggggggggg I would die
  9. Regular Member
    Lv. Percent
    7.44%
    Ugh that's what nightmares are made of. We've definitely got palmetto bugs, though. They're a pretty decent size and they're darker than German roaches. The only time I've ever seen roaches before this was in Japan, and let me just tell you, they are so much bigger/grosser there.
  10. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    9.35%
    Quote Originally Posted by xylilz View Post
    Ugh that's what nightmares are made of. We've definitely got palmetto bugs, though. They're a pretty decent size and they're darker than German roaches. The only time I've ever seen roaches before this was in Japan, and let me just tell you, they are so much bigger/grosser there.
    Omg ok so I'm a lifelong Floridian, I've never had bugs in my house but I'm no stranger to palmetto bugs. NOTHING could have prepared me for the roach situation in Hawaii. Shortly after we moved into our apartment I saw a roach in the bathroom that was literally about the size of a fat baby's foot, I called my ex husband and made him come home early from poker night to deal with it because I could not.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast