Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Quieting your mind

1. Regular Member
    Lv. Percent
    53.66%

Quieting your mind

Advertisements
    I guess I'm looking for moral support with this...

DB left for his annual training (around two weeks in length) and the next two weeks are finals for me as well. Great that I can stay busy, not so great because he's usually there supporting me/ helping with the house/ generally decreasing my anxiety around this point in the semester. I know the usual "stay busy" "make a bucket list" etc ways of getting through times when they are gone, but for some reason my anxiety is being more stubborn than usual, maybe because of the final exams. We've done way longer time periods before and it wasn't so bad... or does it feel like that because it wasn't recent and my memory is hiding it?

Do any of you have ways to unwind or calm your mind when it feels like you can't handle it all? Some sort of mantra or breathing technique or anything? Between anxiety meds and walking my dog I think I can make it, but I'd like to do a little better than just "make it"

Thanks in advance!
  2. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    67.58%
    Quote Originally Posted by IrishDraughtGirl View Post
    I guess I'm looking for moral support with this...

DB left for his annual training (around two weeks in length) and the next two weeks are finals for me as well. Great that I can stay busy, not so great because he's usually there supporting me/ helping with the house/ generally decreasing my anxiety around this point in the semester. I know the usual "stay busy" "make a bucket list" etc ways of getting through times when they are gone, but for some reason my anxiety is being more stubborn than usual, maybe because of the final exams. We've done way longer time periods before and it wasn't so bad... or does it feel like that because it wasn't recent and my memory is hiding it?

Do any of you have ways to unwind or calm your mind when it feels like you can't handle it all? Some sort of mantra or breathing technique or anything? Between anxiety meds and walking my dog I think I can make it, but I'd like to do a little better than just "make it"

Thanks in advance!
    I find some simple, repetitive physical task (for me it's sharpening my knives, but for you it could be anything) and try to focus on that. Counting strokes with the whetstone, trying to really get it smooth and even...concentrating on getting this one small task just right, nothing else.

Rolling cigarettes too. I make it, unmake it, make it again.
  3. Regular Member
    Lv. Percent
    84%
    I struggle with anxiety too. Getting fresh air really helps, so yes to walking the dog! Try to meditate, do yoga, exercise. There's a breathing technique that really settles me down; you plug one nostril and breathe super deeply, hold it at the top, while you're holding release the nostril and plug the other one, and breathe out. Then breathe in again and repeat and change nostrils. It really focuses on deep breaths because you only have one nostril to breathe with. I definitely understand about just 'making it' and 'existing'. Like yeah I won't die, but I'm not really living because of my struggles! Grr. Fingers crossed for you and I! If you ever want to chat don't hesitate to message me!
  4. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    95.96%
    Aromatherapy! I didn't think it would work, but I got a diffisuer and a few scents that help with anxiety and it definitely keeps me mellow throughout the day.

Yoga is another big one for me. Or even just sitting down and meditating. It really puts me at peace and settles my anxiety.

I also tend to overthink, so I do sodoku puzzles. They're fun, but are still complicated enough to keep me distracted.