Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Curious...What are your future plans?

1. Senior Member

Love Curious...What are your future plans?

Advertisements
    Hi Everyone! So I just am really curious about what everyone is doing about this issue because me and DB are still trying to find our way in this world! Although we are both only 20 we have been together for 5 years and plan on getting married after I finish college. So please tell me are yalls significant others staying in the military for a lifelong career or are they planning to get out after 4 years and get a comparable civilian career???? Which one do you think would benefit you more if your not sure??

In case you want some background, I will have my Bachelors of Science in Nursing in roughly 17 months! My boyfriend just got his associates degree in behavioral sciences and is at BMT right now! He wants to go into SOME/ ANY type of criminal justice either by staying in the Air Force or pursuing a criminology career after his 4 years. He is in Security Forces btw.

Thats a short background on our plans but I mostly want to know whatyou and your hubbys/fiances/boyfriends/girlfriends future plans are. I am so interested to see what you guys have planned because yall are so sweet and I know you have bright futures! Thanks and God Bless!
  2. Senior Member
    My husband hits 20 in September so it's kind of a given for him at this point. The bigger question at this point is how far past 20 does he go. We like seeing the world and the traveling.
  3. Justice Beaver: The Crime Fighting Beaver
    Justice Beaver: The Crime Fighting Beaver
    As of now, DH is getting out next year

4. Senior Member
    I met DH after I graduated college. My career is in software development. It's pretty portable. My husband was on the fence with his career when I met him. Now, we are pretty certain he will do at least 20 years. He is almost 13 years in. He likes to tell everyone he plans to retire at 38. His regular MOS is communications maintenance, but is currently a recruiter. The reason he kept re-enlisting was because he received large bonuses for reenlisting, and the bonuses were to compensate for the money he would have made going the civilian route.
  5. Senior Member
    We are getting married in two weeks and moving in together in Florida at the end of this summer. Because of his MOS he had to sign on for 5 years instead of 4. As if right now he is planning on getting out once this is up, but this is still up in the air depending on what's best for us. In the meantime I am working on my degree.
  6. Senior Member
    DH will stay until retirement, though we don't know how far past 20.

For him and us, it was the right decision. His first change to get out was at around 8 year (for various reasons, not everyone can get out at 4). He loves what he does, even though it often comes with headaches and frustrations. The shit part of it doesn't outweigh the things he loves about what he does. On top of that, the retirement money is great, as is the healthcare for life.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabrina22LE View Post
    We are getting married in two weeks and moving in together in Florida at the end of this summer. Because of his MOS he had to sign on for 5 years instead of 4. As if right now he is planning on getting out once this is up, but this is still up in the air depending on what's best for us. In the meantime I am working on my degree.
    This sort of sounds like our plan! Congratulations on getting married in 2 weeks- that is so exciting and I will admit I am a little jealous!! What MOS is he doing and what civilian career do you think he could do if he got out??
  8. Senior Member
    Thank you for all your responses, I absolutely loved reading them!!! I want to get married to DB who I've been with for 5 years so bad but right now that he has just started out in the military its not a good idea but we are definitely thinking in a little over a year when I am done with school. I just dont know how I would feel about all the traveling and I hear its hell to get married when your SO is in the military. I guess you make sacrifices for the one you love though! I wish I had a crystal ball to look into the future- I know I will be an RN but I want to know if I will be in one spot by my family with DB or traveling around all the time with DB.
  9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AirgirlBay View Post
    This sort of sounds like our plan! Congratulations on getting married in 2 weeks- that is so exciting and I will admit I am a little jealous!! What MOS is he doing and what civilian career do you think he could do if he got out??
    He's a Hospital Corpsman, so it will be pretty easy for him to get a nursing job when he gets out. He was originally going to college for nursing, but decided the military would be a good way to get himself there. And thank you! I'm super excited, but also a little nervous!!!
  10. Senior Member
    I just got my masters degree. DF is in flight school in Texas for another year or so. We have no idea where he will be stationed next, but we plan on getting married once he finishes and I will move wherever he's at.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast