Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 12 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: Ways to Get Along on MSOS

1. Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Ways to Get Along on MSOS

Advertisements
    [Note: These are suggestions from other MSOS users about ways we can all get along better, get more out of MSOS and avoid the awful threads that we are all soooo tired of. Sorry for ending that sentence with a preposition. These views are not necessarily representative of the MSOS administration's views. So don't get mad at our lovely Moddesses if you see something you don't like.

Please add your suggestions to this thread and bump when you think people need to read it again

I might PM people to ask them for permission to add posts they write in other threads if I see something that looks like it would be a good addition to this list. If you see something like that, quote it and PM me with it so that I can then ask the owner! ]

MSOS 101 or How to Succeed on MSOS (With a Bit of Trying)

"Support" means different thing to different people. If it seems to harsh, try saying "that seems really harsh and came off meaning X, is that what you meant?" instead of "I thought this was a support site! "

Deployment, TDY, LD, business trip, only seeing each other weekends or even every other day - being apart from someone you love, no matter the time, distance or circumstance, is hard.

When you assume you make an ass out of you and me.

Be respectful.

No one is obligated to tell you everything about their life. Getting mad at someone for walking away from an inflammatory thread is not useful.

If you're tempted to say "why is this thread still going?", please don't. If we all make that choice, the thread will die!

If you are just looking for one specific answer, you're probably better off not posting. There are thousands of women (and men!) on this site and they have varying and awesomely different opinions on EVERYTHING. You're going to get more than one answer. Don't get mad when people don't just say what you want to hear.

If you think you might be pregnant, pee on a stick and then post the pic. Don't describe your symptoms and expect ladies on the interwebs to be able to tell you if you are or are not pregnant.

And, as always, remember OPSEC and PERSEC. Don't know 'em? Click the link in my sig!

Quote Originally Posted by ~Jessica~ View Post
    If someone says they're already feeling bad about something, tough love may not be the best approach Punctuation and smilies can completely change your tone
    Quote Originally Posted by CrzyCatLady View Post
    Read over what you are about to post, think of how it would sound if someone was directing it towards you.
    Quote Originally Posted by scotlandgrl53 View Post

and to add to that, try reading it as you think a stranger may read it if they dont know you that well, see if your tone is clear.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazmine View Post
    don't let write your posts for you. just saying.
    Quote Originally Posted by *IGrowPeople* View Post
    If you have to say "I don't mean to offend anyone, but..."...keep in mind that you will almost definitely end up offending someone.
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonsGirl View Post
    Remember that you aren't talking to a computer. There is a living, breathing human being behind that computer screen.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeartShapedBox View Post
    Don't jump to any conclusions. Reading something on the internet may sound way different in your head than it would if you had heard it from the person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Samantha1991 View Post

There is no body language or tone with text.....just smileys
    Quote Originally Posted by Countrygirlsrock View Post
    Don't go off making up wild stories because you think it will get you more friends. Just be real.
    Quote Originally Posted by Samantha1991 View Post
    especially pregnancies!

We have experts, they know how to spot like no other mothers
    Quote Originally Posted by livelearnlove View Post
    don't post essentially the same thread over and over, especially if it tends to get less than positive/dramatic response, and even more espeically if you ask for advice and don't ever take it...

or...don't ask for advice if you never intend on taking it or even considering it
    Quote Originally Posted by Cara*bear View Post
    We don't play favorites, we don't purposely try to call out newbies, or anything like that. It doesn't matter how long you're here, we'll still tell you our honest opinions.
    Quote Originally Posted by HisJuliet View Post
    Don't ever play the "who has it worse" game. Someone ALWAYS has it worse.

Along that same line....don't wear your SO's rank as making you "mightier"

Finally, unless you are a military service member yourself, you are a civilian.
    Quote Originally Posted by nightingail View Post
    Every relationship has different boundaries. Don't compare your relationship to anyone else's, and don't let someone else make you feel inferior because your boundaries are different.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeartShapedBox View Post
    Read. The. Whole. Thread. Before. Posting.

If something's been said 4820 times, saying it again is just redundant.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojai View Post
    Just because something's your opinion doesn't mean you can say it without consequences. Saying something cruel/hurtful/mean and then hiding behind "well that's just my opinion!", as if that's some magical shield that means you can say whatever you want without people commenting on it, will not get you far.
    Quote Originally Posted by maegan View Post
    Just because you can say something, doesn't always mean you should.

It's like turning right on red. You're allowed to do it, but you don't if someone's going to get hurt.
    Quote Originally Posted by EmmCee View Post
    If you get in a tiff or get your ass handed to you in a thread - just move on. It's not the end of the MSOS world as you know it. Noone will hold it against you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guynavywife View Post
    And DO NOT back track and try to add in facts that you left out that make you seem like you are right! And don't get defensive and on the attack. Let it play itself out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunbeam View Post
    MSOS doesn't charge by the letter to post, so, for the love of all that's holy, don't use textspeak! Making a sincere attempt to use capitalization, punctuation, correct spelling and PARAGRAPHS goes a long way towards understanding.
    Quote Originally Posted by hockeyprincess13 View Post
    If what you are posting is funny or silly or just to make yourself laugh, say so! We'll laugh along with you for the most part!
    Quote Originally Posted by Guynavywife View Post
    If someone who is new makes a post that has been done a 1000 before, and you want to tell her that, at least post a link to one of those threads so she knows what you are talking about.
    Quote Originally Posted by Smurffle View Post
    Golden rule!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fortissima View Post
    I disagree with the golden rule. At my house we had the platinum rule, Treat others how they want to be treated, because not everyone wants to be treated the exact same way you do.
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Jamison~ View Post
    While away on a deployment, TDY, MEU, etc. your SO's schedule will be different from those around them. If you haven't heard from your SO in 3 days but others in their unit have been communicating, it doesn't necessarily mean your SO is ignoring you or something has happened. More than likely they are just busy doing something that the others do not have to do. Always remember, no news is good news!
    Quote Originally Posted by sjmk1 View Post
    If you really feel like you don't want "tough love" in a thread you are about to post, say so! It might help you and others from getting worked up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lychee View Post
    If you post a controversial thread, be prepared for differing opinions articulated in ways that you may not appreciate.
    Quote Originally Posted by EverlastingLove View Post
    Take nothing as a personal attack towards you. No one is here to attack you, as already stated, support means something different to everyone.

Also, remember that proper grammar can completely change the story. Try to use it to the best of your ability to lesson confusion, get your actual point across, and avoid "I couldn't even read this" comments.
    Quote Originally Posted by sjmk1 View Post
    Don't bump old threads!
    Quote Originally Posted by Solstice View Post
    Ranting is one thing. Being judgmental towards someone that thinks you are a friend is a whole different ball of wax and will NEVER be met kindly here.
    Quote Originally Posted by danaalex View Post
    NO VAGUE CALL OUTS. Grow some balls and name names and the problem. It won't be resolved otherwise, and seeing the vague allusions in a thread is just plain annoying.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashley. View Post
    When you are trying to promote something, you need to consult with the people who run the site. Otherwise you just look like a spammer. Especially when it is your first (or second ) post on the site
    Last edited by norabora; 03-25-2012 at 10:50 AM. Reason: extra quote tag

I'm Baaaaaaaack
  2. <3 <3 <3
    <3 <3 <3
  3. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by beautifLDisaster View Post
    [Note: These are suggestions from users who have been on MSOS either a short or long time about ways we can all get along better, get more out of MSOS and avoid the awful threads that we are all soooo tired of. Sorry for ending that sentence with a preposition.]

Please add your suggestions to this thread and bump when you think people need to read it again

"Support" means different thing to different people. If it seems to harsh, try saying "that seems really harsh and came off meaning X, is that what you meant?"

Deployment, TDY, LD, business trip, only seeing each other weekends or even every other day - being apart from someone you love, no matter the time, distance or circumstance, is hard.

Be respectful.

No one is entitled to tell you everything about their life. Getting mad at someone for walking away from an inflammatory thread is not useful.

If you're tempted to say "why is this thread still going?", please don't. If we all do that, the thread will die!

And, as always, remember OPSEC and PERSEC. Don't know 'em? Click the link in my sig!
  4. Happy New Year!
    Happy New Year!
    If someone says they're already feeling bad about something, tough love may not be the best approach Punctuation and smilies can completely change your tone

"Missing someone isn't about how long it has been since you've seen them or the amount of time since you've talked.
    It's about that very moment when you find yourself doing something and wishing they were right there by your side."
  5. Senior Member

I agree!

The day You decide to do it is your lucky day.
    ~ Japanese Proverb
  6. I stand on golden sands and watch as the ships go by
    I stand on golden sands and watch as the ships go by
    xhis_anchorx is my B.A.M.F wifey
    Seabees*Angel* is my Ghetto Mistress/wifey
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

[Note: These are suggestions from users who have been on MSOS either a short or long time about ways we can all get along better, get more out of MSOS and avoid the awful threads that we are all soooo tired of. Sorry for ending that sentence with a preposition.]

"Support" means different thing to different people. If it seems to harsh, try saying "that seems really harsh and came off meaning X, is that what you meant?"

Be respectful.

No one is entitled to tell you everything about their life. Getting mad at someone for walking away from an inflammatory thread is not useful.

If you're tempted to say "why is this thread still going?", please don't. If we all do that, the thread will die!

You still forgot to change the word entitled to something that makes it make sense. Probably obligated.
  8. Senior Member
    Great idea!

I don't have any ideas to add, but I like this thread.
  9. Don't ever settle for less than you deserve.
    Don't ever settle for less than you deserve.

Be respectful.

Signature removed due to size.
  10. Senior Member
    Read over what you are about to post, think of how it would sound if someone was directing it towards you.
Page 1 of 12 123411 ... LastLast