Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

View Poll Results: Are you and your SO the same religion?

Voters
149. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

66 44.30%
  • No

60 40.27%
  • Other

23 15.44%
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast

Thread: Same Religion?

1. Senior Member
    Advertisements
    im in the same boat...im jewish and hes cathlic...expect i dont really practice anymore except for the things i go to with my parents and the things i do living at home...he is a kinda strong cathlic tho and we have kinda discussed kids n stuff and i dont think i want to raise mine jewish but i do want to introduce them to it...i feel like unless its gonna be full on jewish then its on really right to push onto them and he already said he wont ever go to anything jewish with me which doesnt really bother me...
  2. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Del View Post
    We're like you. I'm Jewish, no question... but I'm also not very religious anymore.

DB's family is Catholic and he was raised Catholic, but he's pretty much an atheist now. He's very anti-religion, so I highly doubt he'd ever convert and, frankly, I wouldn't ask him to.

It doesn't bother us. When I did go to services I went, and he picked me up. He comes to my non-religious passover Seder with friends. I do Christmas with his family. I don't know, it's just not a problem.

Now... if we had kids, I'm sure it'd be more of a hassle.

As for just starting at a new temple... I'd look online for ones that are within your sect. I'm reform, so I look at the urj.org (Union for Reform Judiasm) to see what temples are in my area. I'm sure there's something like that for Conservative and Orthodox. I'd also ask around?

I really loved the temple in my last town, but I haven't gone since I moved 'cos I haven't been comfortable finding a new place. I need to start looking again. I imagine if you phone most places will talk with you and you can show up and see what you think.

Good luck!
    im sooo glad to know there is others in the same boat as me...my cousin got married and pretty much made her hubby convert so i feel bad saying that im ok with him being how he is n me being how i am...this makes me feel better
  3. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by joshsbeautiful View Post
    If by "same religion" you mean neither one of us has any clue where our beliefs fit, then yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Geotech View Post
    I don't believe in small children going to church, because they are impressionable and will believe whatever they are told vs believe and understand, etc.
    Although i do believe all children should be made aware of all religions so they are better able to choose which one sounds "right" to them.
    Alicia. Wife to Trevor. Mommy to Val.

4. Starting over...
    Starting over...
    Quote Originally Posted by Blessed Ohana View Post
    yes, hubby and i are both firm believers in our faith. it is everything our marriage is built on.
    this. exactly.

when we first met, dh was agnostic and i was Christian, but he has since come into a relationship with Jesus, and i couldn't be more thrilled. it is SO important to both of us now, and i don't know where we would be otherwise.

I will do what God asks me to do; I will give God what I cannot do; and no matter what, I will trust the Lord.
    "Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen." - Hebrews 11:1
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    OP, I'm just like you and your SO. I'm Jewish, and I rarely go to synagogue. I go for the High Holidays, and that's about it. DB was raised Catholic, and he still says he is, though he hasn't gone to church since I've been with him.

6. Gained a child but lost my sanity!
    Gained a child but lost my sanity!

Quote Originally Posted by Alexandra View Post
    .[/B]

Last edited by princessgwynn; 01-06-2010 at 09:31 AM.
  7. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by princessgwynn View Post
    I consider myself agnostic though really I am an anti-Christ christian if that makes any sense at all. DH is a non practicing christian. We have some conflicts but I was raised in a very accepting church and therefore am okay with his beliefs. We have agreed to raise them in the same church I was raised in (UU) because of the chance to explore other religions and make a decision on their own about what belief system works for them.

This is exactly how I became UU- my parents were both raised Catholic and fell away from the church, I needed a community. 20+ years later they are still attending the UU church.

I love knowing I am not the only UU military spouse out there- my MIL has told me not believing in 'god' means that her son is going to die while away at war because I cannot truly pray for him
    This is so interesting! I went to a UU service once, and I felt like I was in a philosophy class! It is a really interesting religion actually! Many poets...like Coleridge was UU right?
  8. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    Last edited by dollface; 11-09-2009 at 05:01 AM.
  9. *Too Blessed To Be Stressed*
    *Too Blessed To Be Stressed*
    We both are the same religion (VERY IMPORTANT to both of us) and pretty much the same denomination. I was raised Baptist and DH's Dad is a pastor for a Missonary Alliance church. His Mom and Dad(his Mom from birth till college and his Dad till highschool) were both raised in Asian(Indonesia) villages because their parent's were missionarys so it is a huge deal to all of them as well.
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by theamyrose View Post
    OP, I'm just like you and your SO. I'm Jewish, and I rarely go to synagogue. I go for the High Holidays, and that's about it. DB was raised Catholic, and he still says he is, though he hasn't gone to church since I've been with him.
    exactly me...my parents keep kosher so i do in their house but i go out to eat n stuff with my friends...so i dont really consider myself a practicing jew exept for what my parents kinda push on me...
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast